JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I have been getting into into old military surplus rifles more and more, and have been considering getting and C&R license to make things easier. Anybody here have one? If so what was the process like? Are you glad you got it? Any kind of info or advice is appreciated.

I have mine, IMHO well worth the cost it's easy enough to get fill out the form pay your money and wait. I have been out of milsurp guns for a while now but I do keep renewing it. Used to be able to some discounts at various online retailers if you sent them a copy of your 03 license not sure how many still do that. its great having a gun shipped directly to you a couple of saved transfer fee's and it is payed for. Some companies and individuals will not accept it as there ignorant and do not want to be educated. If your bidding on a auction site make sure they will accept your license first. Spend a little money and get a good bound book to keep records of your purchases and sales.

I've been thinking about getting mine too. What's the cost of the initial license and renewal?

I had one for a few years during the boom of Euro-East-bloc ww2 weaponry imports. Finally just let it lapse because I was filling the house up with mil-surps. Sometimes wish I still had it cuz a good deal comes up sometimes that's just too much fuss to pay a dealer to get for me. But then, I am officially not collecting anymore guns n stuff. Well that's what I told the Old Woman. Won't SHE be surprised when I have shuffled off this mortal coil... :s0081:
If you are still in "acquisition mode" you should call the closest BATF-cave and have them send you the paperwork- it's not that much hassle and you really can save some bux if you are trying to build a collection. Anything over 50 years old as I recall is a Curio and Relic and can legally be acquired with your C&R license- don't think that applies to full-auto, SBR or AOW however.

Should you decide to go that route, it's important to remember that you are getting a C&R license to COLLECT, not to buy guns for your buddies- it's not a dealer FFL, tho as I understood it you can trade with other collectors. Get a "bound book" of some kind and record your C&R acquisitions and trades... and send signed "true copies" to the various outfits that may have stuff you must have.

Last Edited:
I don't really remember but I think it was $30.00 for three years for new or renewal.

Considering the cost of one transfer here is $25 that sounds like a bargain.

I had one for a few years during the boom of Euro-East-bloc ww2 weaponry imports. Finally just let it lapse because I was filling the house up with mil-surps. Sometimes wish I still had it cuz a good deal comes up sometimes that's just too much fuss to pay a dealer to get for me. But then, I am officially not collecting anymore guns n stuff. Well that's what I told the Old Woman. Won't SHE be surprised when I have shuffled off this mortal coil... :s0081:
If you are still in "acquisition mode" you should call the closest BATF-cave and have them send you the paperwork- it's not that much hassle and you really can save some bux if you are trying to build a collection. Anything over 50 years old as I recall is a Curio and Relic and can legally be acquired with your C&R license- don't think that applies to full-auto, SBR or AOW however.

Should you decide to go that route, it's important to remember that you are getting a C&R license to COLLECT, not to buy guns for your buddies- it's not a dealer FFL, tho as I understood it you can trade with other collectors. Get a "bound book" of some kind and record your C&R acquisitions and trades... and send signed "true copies" to the various outfits that may have stuff you must have.

Man you had it during the good times. Things are scarce now!

Question, with the C&R do you give permission for them to enter your home at anytime like you do with NFA items? That's always bothered me.

When I had mine they werent interested in spending their limited time messing with C&R licensees. The rule on inspections is: they must set up a time with you and at your choice will meet at your place or you can bring guns and records to their office. It never came up but had they wanted to visit I would have met them in my workshop with guns and paperwork laid out. The agents simply have more important things to do than mess with small-time collectors and I was told as much by an agent I chatted with on another issue. Could that change under another administration? Possibly but even under Fast and Furious oBongo and holder there was no time or will to do so.
Speaking of F&F, ATF probably has its hands full what with the on-going investigation and possible prosecutions...

New Resource Reviews

Back Top