JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Edit: 5/10/22 Turns out I left out a very important step....Registering with the ATF for eFORM4
Must be the instructions I ignored somewhere
Go to eform.atf.gov and register. The ATF will assign you a user name. The only real hiccup is they have stricter password requirements so you will end up with a new password for sure.

Once that is done, you can certify your eform online with your store which is the Hub Tucson in my case.

Doooh! Oh well.

I have put off getting a suppressor for too long and made the decision to get the process started.

My son has a SilencerCo Hybrid 46 which is rated for large caliber pistols and rifles and has a large variety of accessories. I'll probably order one of these as well, however since it can't be completely disassembled, it isn't recommended for rimfire which will cake the inside of your can waiting to dislodge and blow back when being used with a centerfire cartridge. I selected the SilencerCo Sparrow for my rimfire needs.

I went to the Hub gun store in Tucson where they have a Silencer Shop Kiosk and followed the instructions. The Kiosk fills out the form and takes your finger prints saving you time and hassle getting these done somewhere else.

You need a silencer shop account login and have installed the app on your phone to make the process easier. I did this but ran into issues where the account I created didn't propagate through so the app could access it.
This could be a one off situation or there's a delay. The app could access my account the next day.

There is a workaround where you generate a code in the app, they message your phone, and you input that code into the kiosk. Works great

Finger printing didn't go smooth however, I just did my best and ended up settling for "Fair" if I couldn't get to "Good". Occasionally one of my prints was flunked with a "poor" grade, you just hit rescan and try again.
4 fingers left hand, left thumb, right thumb, and right 4 fingers, then.... you have to roll all your fingers and thumbs starting with left pinky ending with right pinky. Fortunately no one was waiting for me to finish so they could use the kiosk. I guess you just suck it up and do your best when it's your turn.

After the form is completed, you can purchase the suppressor at the Silencer Shop website. along with a simple trust and the completely useless but necessary NFA stamp.

I received a notice the next day that my photo had to be redone. Turns out you can't wear a hat. You should do your photo before going to the Kiosk as the Hub doesn't have a great place for the plain white background required in the photo.

All things considered the expected wait time is 90 days vs 11-15 months. I'll update this post when I get cleared or some other status.

Have fun!!

Last Edited:
I think the NFA tax stamp fee covers the background check fees.
The $200 tax was applied in 1934 because that was a lot of money back then, and not too many common citizens had that much laying around to be used to license a machine gun, suppressor, SBR or whatever Class III item the man wanted to buy. Let's just hope the alpha-hotels in Washington don't decide to raise that low (for 2022) tax.

The $200 tax was applied in 1934 because that was a lot of money back then, and not too many common citizens had that much laying around to be used to license a machine gun, suppressor, SBR or whatever Class III item the man wanted to buy. Let's just hope the alpha-hotels in Washington don't decide to raise that low (for 2022) tax.
I'll do some digging and see what else I can find out... I'm thinking a suppressor on my Home Defense weapon would be a good thing!
As far as my daily carry... not necessary and too cumbersome.

Thanks again!

New Resource Reviews

Back Top