JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The kukri and the tomahawk were made for every man in your outfit? How many was that? Any idea how long it took to make all those weapons?
The Tomahawks were made within 6 months (the smith dropped everything else to make 30)
The Kukri was a Cold Steel Carbon V and the Airforce donated those like the military woodsman's pal. (will post a photo when I get back to CONUS).

. . . (will post a photo when I get back to CONUS).
I'm not very smart, but I'm smart enough to know not to ask where you are these days. We'll just say your present location is "classified." Hurry home, and get here in one piece.

I've come through International Security at Dulles quite a few times. It's always a relief to hear the security personnel say "Welcome Home." You know you're in the safest and greatest nation God ever put on the face of the Earth when you hear that. You're home; no foreign country can bugger you up on phony charges once you pass through the security doors. May God bless America! How can some Americans possibly hate their own country???

Last Edited:
my friend has been teaching me how to roll my own still learning.a lot of fun but your going to get cut some how och.

IMG_1326 (1).JPG IMG_1327 (1).JPG

Now that I'm way past prime, I have to say my "favorite Non firearm weapon" is my knowledge and resourcefulness. :s0012:
The rest could get taken and used against me.

I like the Outdoor Edge 3.5" folder. Easy to maintain just swap the razor edge and it's like a brand new knife. It's good for puncturing but it's major strength is slicing or shaving. It' very reasonably priced, new blades are inexpensive and available on line, this is my EDC and I really like it. I don't think I would use it for chopping firewood or skinning a bear but for in town EDC, it works great.

(I am back to the safe) This (Frank & Warren Survival Axe Type IV) was a gift from a Crew Chief on a CH53 for something I did for the aircrew. I have read the OSS Manuel on Hand to Hand using this but I don't have one. I modified this one by sharpening the end of it where it didn't have an edge. It has cut down a few million dollars worth of dope both stateside and overseas. (Got a LOUD LECTURE for one field of poppies, the command wires to an IED ran through it.)

Frank & Warren Survival Axe Type IV.jpg

Gotta love the kuk and hawk there... Don't get much better than that, even on an episode of "Naked And Afraid"...

That said, what I would prefer would vary somewhat with the scenario.. I have used many over the years...
Mostly, I have a ww2-issue (Broad-Arrow) Kukri, and altho I have many others including some cracker-jack bowies, the old kukri is something I keep coming back to if the deal went down. Not to disparage any other blades (I own many) yet the familiar feel and balance of that knife calls me louder than any other in a tight place. UNLESS a machete was called for! And not to exclude a smaller knife (CS Master Hunter) to ride on the kukri sheath..
That said, in the far off days of my misspent youth (claimed my Old Woman) I lived in the hills a good while with either a KaBar USMC, and later a Buck 120 General, both 7 inch blades and they did their job. I carried that Buck for 40 years until it sprouted legs. Nearly had a nervous breakdown over that!

Last Edited:
For me, it is Sabre OC/CS spray and a Gerber LST or a CRKT M-16 10Z. Admittedly the knives are more tools than weapons. But the Sabre comes close to the formula (Aerko +P) I carried when I was a Michigan police officer. It was the only formula that actually worked on the psychos and dopers I would occasionally run into.

A guy I know who actually has cause to beat folks from time to time told me those extendable batons were junk--he says it'll bend the first time you try to whup some deserving pos

He likes using a wooden baseball bat!
I carried one for the last few years of my previous career. I found that the quality varies a lot, and price is not an indicator. Regardless of the name on the baton, they all come from China, using the same 4140 steel or 7074 aluminum tubing. I've seen name-brand batons bend, and no-name batons withstand tremendous punishment. But for reliability, nothing beats a 21-26 inch hardwood baton.