JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got a pic of that bow, SIG? Wicked looking from the web page!! :D

I'm sorry for the long delay, Dunerunner! Haven't been on site for a while. But, here she is! Sorry about crappy iPad photo too!

IMG_0962.JPG

I like my Kabar Remora. It's nothing fancy but I like it.

I didn't realize Kabar made more than the model they're known for. I've been meaning to pick one up.

Big fan of the Bowie design with some modern twists! Got this bad boy off fleabay a few months back and darn if it isn't a top quality blade that holds a wicked edge!
View attachment 996

Nice! I love it when things outperform my expectations. I'll buy the cheapest of whatever it is I want to see if I'll actually use it before spending the money on a quality version. About a third of the time the cheap one works so well I don't need the expensive one :D

My own favorite for when I can't carry a gun is a Hickory Cane. It keeps the kids more than an arms length away, leaves ugly marks on shins, arms or heads, and because "I need it for balance" They cant take it away in airports, cruse ships, etc... DR

My own favorite for when I can't carry a gun is a Hickory Cane. It keeps the kids more than an arms length away, leaves ugly marks on shins, arms or heads, and because "I need it for balance" They cant take it away in airports, cruse ships, etc... DR

Smart thinking!

Depends on what I'm doing that particular day. Right to left, my redhead folder I carry 99% of the time. It's always either hooked to my pocket or my ballistic vest. Comes in handy cutting bags open. Next is my winchester old timer type knife. Holds an edge great. That's my skinning/slaughter knife. Next is my Wal-Mart special wooden handle filet knife I use around the kitchen or on fish. And last is my s&w boot knife I almost never wear it. It's usually hooked onto my hiking pack in the back of my truck. Also right to left is how much I use them 1-4. I have replaced my edc with that folder because it's more compact

20180517_172537.jpg

Have carried a blade of some kind all my life. When the assisted open hit the scene I loved them. Now have several. Always keep one with me. When I walk the dogs I use a walking stick. Have one made from a baseball bat blank that they turn down to a walking stick. Then a while back a poster on Joe's other forum mentioned Cold Steel started making defensive walking sticks. made out of some kind of polymer and they are solid, light, and look just like any other cane. So bought one of those. Have worked great for fending off large dogs who wanted to make a meal out of my dog.

I used to be able to buy surf rod blanks and make walking staffs out if them, ultra light weight, and can dish out a serious thumpin when needed. They also work a charm on Rattlin Sneks and other nasties! I got into it the other day with a good size snek and gave it a good flip 15 feet or so, never even got close! I also have a shorter version, sort of a cane for use in urban areas, has a old que ball for a handle and can be used forcefully enough that i dont worry!

Never bought one, but I remember when these extending batons were being sold as a non-lethal weapon. You'd snap the thing quick and hard, and it would extend to about two feet. It was steel, and the idea was that you could lay a whuppin' on some piece of excrement really fast with it. I think the dealer began selling them in Germany as a self-defense weapon, where firearms are reserved for criminals. I'm wondering if the things are still to be had...

EDIT: Yes, they are still to be had. They're called self-defense batons, extendable defense batons, et cetera. They're fairly cheap, too, at around $25. Would relish reading a news story about some thug who had his night ruined because a woman had one of these batons and whipped his sorry assets with it...

Last Edited:
Never bought one, but I remember when these extending batons were being sold as a non-lethal weapon. You'd snap the thing quick and hard, and it would extend to about two feet. It was steel, and the idea was that you could lay a whuppin' on some piece of excrement really fast with it. I think the dealer began selling them in Germany as a self-defense weapon, where firearms are reserved for criminals. I'm wondering if the things are still to be had...

EDIT: Yes, they are still to be had. They're called self-defense batons, extendable defense batons, et cetera. They're fairly cheap, too, at around $25. Would relish reading a news story about some thug who had his night ruined because a woman had one of these batons and whipped his sorry assets with it...

A guy I know who actually has cause to beat folks from time to time told me those extendable batons were junk--he says it'll bend the first time you try to whup some deserving pos

He likes using a wooden baseball bat!

As is probably going to be stated many times, a gun is far superior for the sake of self defense. If you don't have training in the use of a knife as a self defense weapon, you're legitimately better off chucking the knife at the assailant and running as fast as you can while they're briefly distracted by dodging the sharp shiny thing you just threw at them. In this situation, the best knife is the heaviest one you can potentially give them a concussion with by throwing it at their head.

But, to actually answer the thread as intended, your best bet is going to be a fixed blade that you're not going to bugger up the grip on in a panic. So, that leaves you with two prime options:
- Push blades with a T-handle
- Karambits with a finger-ring

These also have the added bonus of being very difficult to knock out of your hand, and dagger push blades basically turn it into a bladed boxing match.

If you're talking folders, there are a multitude out there. I would generally recommend something that is fairly idiot-proof for the sake of not losing precious moments. I can't make any serious recommendations here because I lack the expertise and have a strong feeling that the best "tactical" folding knife is going to be whatever stabby knife you are trained with using and can deploy under pressure when your adrenaline spikes.

6.5 Grendel is about the same as you already have in the 6.8 so that does not make sense. I would lean suggesting to go with your plan to build a nice 20" 5.56. You could also consider a 300 Blackout, but not a caliber that I have or wish to have.