JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay so I'm not sure where this is supposed to get posted to I went with general discussion. My question is this... so my friend went to a gun show in phx. I told him keep an eye out for .38, .40, and .223... he found a couple boxes for .38 and brought them to me. Upon my inspection of the ammo one of the boxes seems to be reloaded with a lead wadcutter and has the word reloads written in pen on the box. The ammo in this particular box has all matching brass and doesn't look bad. But I'm scared to find out what's inside. Would you shoot it? I would have told him to pass on it if I knew they were reloads. But I don't think he even knew or saw the writing.

Resized_20201207_184326.jpg

I agree with everthing gunslinger said. If i didnt reload and i paid for them i would probabley shoot them but thats because im stupid and cheap....with shooting everything is about safety so when in doubt or bad feeling trust your gut...if you reload not that big of deal take em apart and do them your way... be careful and let the lead fly!

I used to reload alot. I sold my bench because I didn't have time to do it anymore. Since I changed companies I have more time now but never got another reloading setup. I know it's somewhat common for people to shoot reloads from the gunshow. These bullets look like they where cast by the reloader. There is a seam down the middle of the lead. I may shoot them. If the reloader cast the projectiles that shows me that the person was a bit more experienced in reloading.

In case anyone was curious here are some more pictures of the ammo and what I was/might shoot it from. I haven't decided if I'm going to shoot it or not. I actually like lead better then copper jacketed in revolvers because that's what they were originally.

20201209_122728.jpg 20201209_122649.jpg 20201209_122544.jpg 20201209_122526.jpg

At the least, pull a couple of random rounds and measure the powder charge.
Also see if you can identify the powder, if the charges seem to be within the safe range, you'll probably be good to go.

I know ammo is tight, but to me it's just not worth the risk.

Thats probably for the best. Think a kinetic puller would do it? The little ones that are like hammers. Ill probably pick one up. Kinda makes me regret asking him to look for me. Never crossed my mind about the possibility of him finding gunshow reloads

A former friend suckered me into trading for 3 boxes of 38sp reloads--really taught me to open all the boxes and look at the ammo before doing any deals--it's been sitting off to the side for years, cause I don't trust the ammo--maybe if I had a single action Ruger, I'd shoot them

They actually look very professionally made but the case stamps don't match the boxes

Long ago when I used to go to the big gun show in Phoenix I bought several cases of reloaded 9mm and .308. This was a company from So Cal, mostly all reloaded ammo. Never had any problems with it. Saved the casings and have reloaded on my own equipment a couple of times.
My partner and I have a reload for the .45 that we like and have shot more than 10k of them. I gave a box to a friend and he had hissy fits when he discovered that they were reloads. Christ they were next to the reloader when he picked them up. He knew I reloaded and still protested. I finally got them back and he quit whining. Free ammo and bubblegum. He was not forced to take it.
My partners father had the same issues until he ran out of rounds at the range and we were still firing. He complains not now.
I get it you do not know what is in the round. We do and put it on every box or container. I would never force anyone to use my reloaded ammo. Just more for me.

I have reloaded for years without a problem and I don't have a problem firing those reloaded by someone else.
** If I know the person that has reloaded them. :rolleyes:

The only time I have, "bought" reloads, they were .458 SoCom which I know can be weapon specific, so I broke them down and reloaded them myself. ;)

Because I am inquisitive, I'd fire a few over a chronograph to see what are the velocities. If the velocities are in-line with factory-loaded ammo, the reloads are probably just fine to shoot in the handgun for which it is chambered. If it's 500fps higher, the stuff is overcharged and needs to be pulled apart.

I forgot about this post. I ended up stripping down the rounds for the brass and lead. The guy that went to the gun show for me and brought me those was killed by the light rail in tempe. This was a couple years ago. He was a good friend

It is what it is. I've lost a few friends either because the line of work I was in or bad luck or suicide. Death is no stranger to me. The messed up part is that I work nights so I was off that day and was smoking a cigarette out on the porch and I heard an insanely loud metal grinding/crashing sound. It startled me. And the following day my friend didn't show up to work nor was he answering me which was unusual. Turns out I heard his accident from my porch. It was roughly 2 or 3am. He was an iraq war combat vet and had drinking problems. About 4 hours before this me and him were texting eachother and he had stated he was drinking his life away... here is some news footage of the accident.

Last Edited:

New Resource Reviews

Back Top