JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well apparently fire season is early this year.
Out in North Prescott valley, a 8 years now. Only got to the "get ready" stage during the Mayer fire.

Have 2 safes, outside walls. Usually, when they evacuate, they cut the power as well. So well fed sprinklers are out.

Crazy. Put 1 or 2 of those 5 gallon water bottles (plastic) on top of the safes? If it gets hot enough to melt, they would leak out, giving some, any extra protection?

???

You would be better off reading what the forest service has to say about vegetation near homes in a fire zone.

A generator to drive the pump would go a long ways providing it can handle the volume. Even if it did not survive the idea of having a wet house and surrounding ground would go a long ways in saving it.

Again with the forest service they have information on exterior fire sprinklers

I built a new home in brush fire danger, I put exterior sprinklers in the original design. I used brass heads that spray 1/2 circle at 30' spread and 5 gallons a minute.
Also the exterior of the home has a 5 foot bare space all around and is made of fire resistant material, steel.

There is a lot of information outthere about living in the country where brush fires are common. Just have to read and heed.

There was a big fire on US 395 last year, below Gardnerville, NV. It came very close to a number of houses; I see the trees when I go south. No tree had anything "edible" on their branches. Now hundreds upon hundreds of trees have been pulled out of the ground; the hillsides in that area are bare of trees. I do not know if the land has been cleared to build houses thereon, but that could be a possibility. It doesn't look to me like any home was burned; such a great piece of luck.

To add to my above post: Can a tree be killed by fire, even though the trunk is still there and the root system was in the ground when the fire came through?

To add to my above post: Can a tree be killed by fire, even though the trunk is still there and the root system was in the ground when the fire came through?
Yes the heat dehydrates the tree enough that its bark can not carry water or sap back up to its leaves and branches. And it dies.
The Organic farmers use a weed burner system to kill weeds without toxic sprays. But they don't really burn them , they just dehydrate them enough they can't survive. DR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top