Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Question about private party firearms sales these days

Reactions
as for the Age of purchase federal law is 18 for long guns and 21 for pistols

AZ law is 18 for long guns and 18 for pistols. That is why in a private sale in AZ an 18yo can buy a pistol but they can't purchase a pistol from a store.
I stand corrected on this i Did think it was a state of AZ law. That is incorrect it is federal.

HATE IT when I am wrong. Happens more than I care to admit

Last edited:
OP
wildcat455
Reactions
as for the Age of purchase federal law is 18 for long guns and 21 for pistols

AZ law is 18 for long guns and 18 for pistols. That is why in a private sale in AZ an 18yo can buy a pistol but they can't purchase a pistol from a store.
On the Federal, You are citing ages for purchase from an FFL.
Federal private party is different.
Straight from the ATF page linked in this thread:

"An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same State, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A Federal firearms licensee may not, however, sell or deliver a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under 21 years of age.
There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.
[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)]"

OP
wildcat455
Reactions
Wildcat455 that is correct but the discussion FACE TO FACE not FFL to FFL
It still would be considered a FTF sale, but thru the FFL of the buyer. The FFL of the buyer administers the paperwork.
Seller receives the money, ships it to buyers FFL in his home state.
Buyer fills out paperwork and gets NICS check. When he comes back clear FFL gives him gun.
I only brought it up because you said it was illegal to sell a pistol to an out of state resident, but there is a legal path to allow it.

Reactions
It still would be considered a FTF sale, but thru the FFL of the buyer. The FFL of the buyer administers the paperwork.
Seller receives the money, ships it to buyers FFL in his home state.
Buyer fills out paperwork and gets NICS check. When he comes back clear FFL gives him gun.
I only brought it up because you said it was illegal to sell a pistol to an out of state resident, but there is a legal path to allow it.
My idea of face to face is I hand someone money they give me a pistol

If I am from out of state and buy a pistol the seller must give the pistol to an ffl they ship it to my home state where I fill out the 4473 and abide by my state laws.

Now rifles are a hole different thing

Reactions
But one of your original concerns was why you should haft to show identification in FTF transfer, using ffl you must present an ID

UPCOMING EVENTS

Tombstone Freedom Days
Multiple Venues
Tombstone, AZ 85638, USA
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Centennial Hall
263 N Center St, Mesa, AZ 85201, USA
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
The Icehouse
429 W Jackson St, Phoenix, AZ 85003, USA

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Bruno Shooter Supply
    5.00 star(s)
    Not really a gun store per se, although they do have a couple rifles there for sale, but Bruno...
    • wildcat455
  • Ammo AZ
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place,awesome staff and customer service. Have personally done business with them numerous...
    • Tecj68
  • AJI Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    I have purchased a couple of firearms from AJI. They have a good balance of tactical and other...
    • 1971Chevelle
  • Pistol Parlour
    5.00 star(s)
    I moved to Mesa in 2007 from Flagstaff and didn't really have any gun nut friends to tell me...
    • MesaAZ_Brian
  • Gallenson's Gun Shop
    3.00 star(s)
    Parking sucks. They can be busy, especially on the weekends. But, service is decent, selection...
    • Squidgie