JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
URA-KI, thanks for your service and sharing..

also thanks for reiterating practice must utilize the proper techniques initially so the muscle memory is there of the correct technique to use in case you need the basic technique in a must use SD situation when the adrenaline is causing hyperventilation etc.

find your own path, become your own teacher! THIS is the most important aspect!

This exactly this! I have to say that between all the military training and civilian I try and usually walk away with one thing that just strikes me and that stays with me. My favorite instructors to date was training with a seal team down at Fort Hunter ligget while in the Army. Learned a lot of practical and life long lessons that week!

Probably the best trainer I ever had or had the honor of learning from was a Vietnam Vet, A Marine Gunny who just couldn't get enough, and transferrd to the A.F. so he could retire in peace! That Gunny taught us some very important and very useful tactics that were not in any manual of arms! His methods were a little strange by mil standards, but he was super cool to be around! THE most important thing I ever learned from his vast experience was to always press check after a reload, man, that saved my backside a few times! Gunnyvwas an old school 1911 guy and as any one knows 1911s can be a little fussy in the heat of battle, a simple press check made sure your 1911 was always charged in battery and ready! Something remarkable and yet so simple. When issued our Berettas, that same training sure was easy to transition over, and it did prevent issues! Even with the later S&W or Blocks, and full circle, back to 1911s that served me quite well! There were many little tidbits I learned from Ol Gunny, and I'm greatfull to him for each and every one of them!

Last Edited:
Most LEO do not receive proper training, nor do they get ongoing training! Much of that is due to budget restraints, and simply time allowances! They then wonder why the officers cannot hit what they are shooting at!

Having seen what is generally employed as training, it's a wonder some of these officers can get clear of their holsters with out shooting them selves, or worse, an innocent! I have seen many agencies train as well, some do good, while many cannot qualify consistantly, and need to then train and attempt to re qualify!
In the Military, we trained almost daily, especilly if we were going to be deployed soon, and we trained hard, we also had budget restraints, especially if there was a finite amount of ammo set aside to train with, so we had good reason to make the most of that training! We didn't miss very often, t.v. shows to the contrary, we had a deadly job to do and a seriousness about that job, and a professionalism that all came together to make us very effective, despite the limits of the weapons we were issued! The LEO don' get that kind of training, never have, and it shows badly! I remember a case where two Portland cops unloaded and then reloaded and expended 29 rounds at a person at almost point blank range, and didn't hit him once! Can' rely on muscle memory when there isn't much of it in the first place! Many civilians I know get more training then the aveage street cop, and the cops are who we are forced to rely on!!!

Most LEO do not receive proper training, nor do they get ongoing training! Much of that is due to budget restraints, and simply time allowances! They then wonder why the officers cannot hit what they are shooting at!

Having seen what is generally employed as training, it's a wonder some of these officers can get clear of their holsters with out shooting them selves, or worse, an innocent! I have seen many agencies train as well, some do good, while many cannot qualify consistantly, and need to then train and attempt to re qualify!
In the Military, we trained almost daily, especilly if we were going to be deployed soon, and we trained hard, we also had budget restraints, especially if there was a finite amount of ammo set aside to train with, so we had good reason to make the most of that training! We didn't miss very often, t.v. shows to the contrary, we had a deadly job to do and a seriousness about that job, and a professionalism that all came together to make us very effective, despite the limits of the weapons we were issued! The LEO don' get that kind of training, never have, and it shows badly! I remember a case where two Portland cops unloaded and then reloaded and expended 29 rounds at a person at almost point blank range, and didn't hit him once! Can' rely on muscle memory when there isn't much of it in the first place! Many civilians I know get more training then the aveage street cop, and the cops are who we are forced to rely on!!!

This is one of the most frustrating things about the current conversation. People somehow thing that LEO's have extraordinary training or magical superpowers when compared to citizens. The average gun owner? Maybe, but it doesn't take much to flip that around.

2012 quote: Nine people were wounded, including 3 shot and 6 struck by gun fragments. Initially, NYPD officers claimed that Johnson randomly opened fire and injured the passers-by. unquote:
NYPD Admits To Wounding All 9 Bystanders In Empire State Building Shooting

quote:
Johnson can be seen on the surveillance video pointing his gun at officers, who were eight feet away.

The officers fired 16 times, producing 10 bullet holes on the gunman's body.

Johnson had two live rounds in his .45 calibre semi-automatic pistol when he was shot, police said. They initially believed the gun (my added comment...no the police initially lied!) had misfired, however Commissioner Raymond Kelly said investigators have examined the weapon and concluded Johnson did not try to fire on police.

video Empire State Building Shooting: NYPD Gunfire Wounded All 9 Victims

2012 quote: Nine people were wounded, including 3 shot and 6 struck by gun fragments. Initially, NYPD officers claimed that Johnson randomly opened fire and injured the passers-by. unquote:
NYPD Admits To Wounding All 9 Bystanders In Empire State Building Shooting

quote:
Johnson can be seen on the surveillance video pointing his gun at officers, who were eight feet away.

The officers fired 16 times, producing 10 bullet holes on the gunman's body.

Johnson had two live rounds in his .45 calibre semi-automatic pistol when he was shot, police said. They initially believed the gun (my added comment...no the police initially lied!) had misfired, however Commissioner Raymond Kelly said investigators have examined the weapon and concluded Johnson did not try to fire on police.

video Empire State Building Shooting: NYPD Gunfire Wounded All 9 Victims

Perfect example!

Formal weapons training
1970s - 1980s
San Diego CA - Navy Bootcamp - rifle M1 Garand
Various from US East Coast to Guam - US Navy Submarine service - Marine taught - rifle M14, pump shotgun, 1911, (really big weapons - Navy taught - Polaris and Trident ICBMs (WMDs) and Mark 48 torpedos)
Phoenix AZ- James Jarrett - American Pistol Academy - Basic and advanced - 6-8 2 day sessions wheelgun,
Gilbert AZ - CMP - rifle M1 Garand 1 day
1990s - present
Buckeye AZ - Appleseed rifle, (wife, sons and grandsons with)
Phoenix AZ - CCW handgun, (wife with)
Pahrump NV - Frontsight - multiple handgun (wheelgun and semi) and rifle AR15 courses 4 days each (wife with) (sons and daughters and spouses all have memberships)
And I concur that practice should be training-like, in that it should be intended to advance your skill and not just an expenditure of ammo and time. And dry practice too.
Kind of nice to take the time to think back over the years, of course some of the most impactful training was mostly the informal kind, starting in the 1960s as a pre-teen with a single shot 22 and then as a teen preparing for my first deer hunt with an old Marlin 30-30, learning proper sight picture and trigger control. And also over the years, with friends who were experienced hunters, military and police family members. My Dad was Army Infantry WWII (carried a BAR in his squad), he didn't talk much but I have always tried to remember what he did show and tell me.

None. I can't hit a 1966 VW Microbus with a handgun at fifty feet, so why try to hit a 98.6-degree target that's either coming at you with malevolent intent, or is already right in your face and all-out means to hurt you in the next few seconds? I just try to avoid places where dangerous encounters might obtain but as you know, crime never takes a holiday.

Some would say "life is dangerous these days" but really, these are the safest times in human history. We live through infancy and early childhood at a very high rate, our jobs are far more safe than they were 50 years ago, we have miracle medicines and fantastic hospitals that care for us at the drop of a hat, our parents live into their 90s and our own lives will be better as we grow older because the advances in technology never slow. The speed of technology only increases because today's technology is the foundation for tomorrow's. With that in mind, I'm waiting for the handgun that aims itself based on what brainwaves the sensor in its grip receives from my mind...

My brother has taken six, and I can see it in how he handles a weapon. There is an authority, a quickness and a definite command in how he manipulates a weapon from when he takes it to hand until he sets it aside. The knowledgeable user would certainly see that he is in the presence of another...

ive taken enough to were i can knock a fly off a cats butt at 15 yards.as for our country being safe no friggen way. we have 3rd world countrys trying to turn ours into a cess pool.and when these tid pod kids grow up were really going to have fun.MAGA.and now that the darker ones are making it so the law cant touch them there getting very bold and think we owe them everything.

Never taken any course-- handgun nor rifle. I shoot at a club with others, or out in the desert by myself. I never, ever forget about the safety considerations required whenever one takes to hand a firearm. The last person I want to shoot is myself...

Let's see....

-M60 machinegun class
-M2 50cal machinegun class
-M16 series rifle class
-G3 series rifle class
-AK47 series rifle class
-RPG-7 launcher class
-PKM machinegun
-M203 grenade launcher class
-Mk19 auto grenade launcher class
-M72 LAW launcher class
-AT-4 launcher class
-1911A1 pistol class
-M14 series rifle class
-M9 pistol class
-MP5 submachinegun class
-M67 grenade class
-M18 Claymore mine class
-M16 "Bouncing Betty" land mine class
-M6/7/9 bayonet class
-Combat shotgun class
-Artillery strike coordinates procedural class
-Air strike coordinates proceedural class
-Air Assault class
-Small unit fire & maneuver class
-Laws/Rules of warfare class
-Legal use of force class
-Prisoner of war processing class
-MOUT (Urban Warfare) training class
-Chemical (MOPP) warfare class
-Room and building clearing class
-Unarmed self-defense (aka hand to hand combat) class
-Long range patrol class
-Jungle warfare class
-Mountainous terrain warfare class
-Spanish headstart class
-German headstart class
-Don't ask don't tell.... I mean sexual harassment class
-Drill Sergeant class (school)
-Shrimp boat captain class (OK, not really)

Am I qualified, or is that too much?! :eek:

And I'm just an amateur compared to the Green Beenies! :s0108:

Last Edited:

New Resource Reviews

Back Top