JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My goal this year is to increase my level of training and practice more. Aside from the NRA Basic Pistol course and one Appleseed I haven't had any other formal training.

How many classes have you taken? What were they like?

I've take 2. I am harassing one of the instructors to do a active shooter class. I liked the class I took and he said he would like a challenge. Been a few months now and still nothing.
One centered mostly on the requirements for my CCW and was enlightening for me. The instructor kept using the word murder as the preferred result of the use of a firearm. Keeping that word in the forefront sure made some differences for me. I am not interested in killing anyone, I am concerned about protecting me and my loved ones. The instructor made it clear that after the trigger is pulled the years of litigation will start.
The second class was combat pistol with lasers. Draw from concealment and fire. I was berated for form and technique, a lot. Then the instructor looked at my pattern. 3 in a diamond just below the neck a bit high of center of mass. He lightened up a bit. My form and function has gotten better through practice. I am not looking to be on the street at high noon. I just want to be able to use the chosen weapon effectively if and when it is necessary.

Took a 2 day course course about 10 years ago from Texas Defensive Academy but the class i took was in Missouri ... 1200 rounds. It was geared to shooting very fast at steel targets. Fantastic fun. Over the last few years my accuracy has deteriorated from lack of practice. Coincidentally ... I will be taking a three day course this weekend in Utah ... 1750 rounds! Can a 70 year old hack it? Will provide feedback if I survive.

Took a 2 day course course about 10 years ago from Texas Defensive Academy but the class i took was in Missouri ... 1200 rounds. It was geared to shooting very fast at steel targets. Fantastic fun. Over the last few years my accuracy has deteriorated from lack of practice. Coincidentally ... I will be taking a three day course this weekend in Utah ... 1750 rounds! Can a 70 year old hack it? Will provide feedback if I survive.

Sounds like fun!

1 for my CHL.

been shooting since i was 4 years old. im almost 29 now. ive shot with all sorts of people with a very high amount of training including: police officers, an army ranger, a recon marine, an airforce PJ and just them good ol boys out in the sticks.

off topic:
im a country boy who likes his guns and likes to hunt. that is mainly what i use my bolt action rifles for. i dont consider myself anything special when it comes to shooting but i can hold my own.

i plan on building a 3 gun course on a piece of property i have accress to close to where i live! that'll be awesome!!

Great idea when I was a kid on farm in Iowa. I had a Archery range set up in the woods that doubled for rifle. Iowa discourages high powered rifles, shotguns only so banging away with the ole 7.7 jap would wake the neighbors. As I grew older it was easier to call the neighbors to let them know what the noise was about. Even brought the boy scout troupe out there once. Dad hated the liability issue. Wish I had the land to have a range even for pistol.

1750 rounds over three days is a lot for anyone, let alone a 70 year old! I'm impressed :D

I the last 3 years I have taken 1 a month, plus I have been out to Front Sight 4 times for 2 day classes each time.
My club at the range offers 1 free 3 hour class each month.
Green valley range henderson NV

I the last 3 years I have taken 1 a month, plus I have been out to Front Sight 4 times for 2 day classes each time.
My club at the range offers 1 free 3 hour class each month.
Green valley range henderson NV

Man that's fantastic! I sure wish I could get out that often. What do you pay for club dues?

1000.00 per year
No fees to shoot, free targets. Ears and eyes, gun cleaned with a sonic machine and oiled, 1 free 3 hour class per month, free CCW class, 2 free ffL transfers, soft drinks and snacks included
Christmas party and super bowl party, there is a room with large panel tv, pinball machines , ammo that is 5% over cost

1000.00 per year
No fees to shoot, free targets. Ears and eyes, gun cleaned with a sonic machine and oiled, 1 free 3 hour class per month, free CCW class, 2 free ffL transfers, soft drinks and snacks included
Christmas party and super bowl party, there is a room with large panel tv, pinball machines , ammo that is 5% over cost

Steep dues but it sounds like there's a lot of value-added stuff there.

After taking a conceal and carry class that had a situational simulator for the final portion of the class, I do believe everybody, men and women, should take that class for several reasons, other than the legalities. At the conclusion of this class you will definitely know beyond a doubt if you want to carry a weapon. The simulator is intense and gives you a "real time"idea on how quickly things can go sideways. In addition, you learn how quickly you must evaluate and react.

Just to keep this thread rolling...what kind of qualifications can a civilian in California (such as myself) get?? I think there's a certified handgun certificate in CA. Maybe someone can chime in with more info about it or correct me.

I also know of

-NRA handgun
-CCW

By all means please list more that you know of. Also length and price might help too. Also if it's a state or national or federal only or military only. Would be awesome.

1000.00 per year
I wish we had one like that up here that I knew about!

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Prescott Valley, AZ
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top