JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What if all guns disappeared?

Take the politics out of it. By the numbers, what would we gain – and lose – if all firearms suddenly were wiped off the face of the planet?

**Warning**

Not a balanced article at all so please tone down the OMGoodness rhetoric about the psychiatrist and sociologist are full of do do.

Consider a world without ANY explosive firearms whatsoever?

I expect someone will find a way to set off all that tannerite and maybe even all the ammo that will be left too

Think of all those kind souls who wouldn't be shot by individuals who do so under the banner of "QI" and how much taxpayer money would be saved not having to pay the decedent's or injured family after such circumstances!

Chicago lad shot in the back ~ denied for two years by LE.
FL man shot in the back for a brake lite infraction.
Gentleman shot with cell phone in his hands

and the list goes on across the cities in this great union:
314 in 2018 already! more white then black have been killed.
987 in 2017!

if all nations on this earth had no firearms, our military and police wouldn't need them, now would they?

All a firearm is -- is a 'one up' on a bigger club, knife or spear
still the great(est) equalizer

I have another pie in the sky BS "magically" hypothetical pair of questions.....

What if all criminals either obeyed the law or "magically" disappeared?

What if all anti-American leftists were deported to Somalia or "magically" disappeared also?

I'll have to accede to nmwabbit's expertise. He is, beyond any doubt, absolutely correct. I did a little looking-around and found that the explosive velocity of the lead styphnate (fulminate of mercury is so yesterday) of which modern-day primers are made is 5,200 meters per second. You might think that's pretty fast, but the velocity of gunpowder just blows it away at 1,500 meters per second. By comparison, the very low-grade explosive RDX plugs along at a pitifully laughable 8,700 meters per second. Just no way in helsinki either lead styphnate nor RDX can keep up with gunpowder.

No question I am pathetically wrong, but it would seem to me that energy moving at 1,500 meters per second is being released at a far lower rate than 5,200 or 8,700 meters per second. Things burn slowly; the heat to initiate combustion has to be absorbed into the material. This is why even nicely-dried firewood does not instantly ignite (or explode). The explosive charge of the primer into the powder applies so much energy at such a high rate that combustion occurs in just a few thousandths of a second. I think it's somewhere around 0.007 seconds. I remember reading that the bomb Timothy McVey used in Oklahoma City released its energy in 0.003 seconds.

As we have read above, gunpowder releases its energy at 1,500 meters per second. If they who bored the tunnels for the transcontinental railroad during the 1860s had access to a higher-energy explosive than black powder, it's doubtful they'd have used it. By comparison, Alfred Nobel (TNT; 6,900 meters per second) wasted his time...

gunpowder velocity (Read Post #2 behind that link)

Table of explosive detonation velocities - Wikipedia

Let me say one more time: I am WRONG, WRONG, WRONG about gunpowder actually burning. It does not; it explodes so slowly you can watch a small pile or line of it release its chemical energy if you were to lay a match to it.

Yo win, mr. wabbit. "From where the sun now stands I shall fight no more, forever..."

Last Edited:
What if all anti-American leftists were deported to Somalia..?
We'd have the Constitution being followed and our nation would be 10X better than it already is. For all of our faults and failures, we are still as close to God's Kingdom as a mortal man can get.

Rush Limbaugh said something a number of years ago that I have never forgotten. The caller asked "Why does America have so many problems?" Rush said "America does not have a number of problems. America has one problem. The only problem America has is liberalism." That struck me across my intellect like a bravo-itchy wife had hit me with a cast-iron skillet. Yes! Liberalism is our only problem. Liberalism is a cancer; it destroys everything it touches. Liberalism is at once intellectual laziness and intellectual cowardice.

Gun control is liberalism. Think about it in this context: "Gun control is the present power of government surrendering the Liberty of the law-abiding to the criminal element." Is that not correct? Is not gun control the cowardice and laziness of government to go after those exact persons who violate the law? I say it is. Rather than pursue men who have perpetrated evil deeds with firearms, government destroys the Freedom of those who are innocent of any crime. Why? Because it's easier to deny Freedom than it is to enforce the law. The denial of Liberty requires only that legal language be promulgated into law, and it's done. To actually pursue and prosecute criminals takes strategy, energy and on-the-streets action. Which is easier?

New Resource Reviews

Back Top