JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This was a very interesting thread to read. I'm guessing that many of the responses have changed over time. My response if posted when the thread was started in 2017 would have been my only polymer pistol, a Walther PPS40. Now, it is rarely carried unless I'm required to wear a sport coat or suit.

Since then, I've turned into an S&W Gen3 fan and have accumulated too many 9mm and .40 caliber Gen3s. Most are shooter grade with several rare or pristine examples. Two years ago, I would have reported I like my high capacity TDA 59xx or 69xx series pistols. One year ago, I had changed to mostly my 908 and CS40.

I've fired several thousand rounds to train with and evaluate my carry options. I looked at my own situation and tried to identify what maximizes my advantages and minimizes my disadvantages to make an informed, practiced decision.

Today, I've convinced myself that my best carry choices are my DAO model 3953 or 4053 carried in an IWB open top clip-on leather holster which allows me to reposition it from strong to weak side carry when needed.

Has anyone else changed their carry preference from their post or made a recent carry change?

Has anyone else changed their carry preference from their post or made a recent carry change?

Yes!
Back when I was a Kid, I witnessed a shooting at very close range which convinced me I needed to carry every single day! Next day I went and bought my first 1911! Back then, there were few choices in a semi auto of decent power to do the job! I had to learn to carry that big 44 oz Colt in the days before good IWB holsters were popular! Generally it was carried in a FBI type Shoulder rig! I also carried a PPK in an ankle holster for those times in the urban zones where I felt I needed that little extra! A few years later and I switched to a CZ 82 as that big Colt seems too much to carry, especial on those wonderful warm and sunny days, so the CZ got the duty, and remained for several years! Then the Beretta 81 ( Commander size M-9) became my go to, small enough and yet the same mags and round count as my Issue M-9, and it worked wonderfully! I carried that until I retired from the service, and then found the whole world had turned upside down, so I went with a 2011 series 1911 double stack first in .45 and then in 10 mm auto and never looked back! 17+1 of full pop 10 mm is a very powerful answer to todays problems!
We often lament that what we used to feel comfortable carrying daily, is what we now carry as back up!
Most every one I know who carries has made this "Adjustment" and carries ether a commander size High Cap, or they carry a Combat Full Size, and make it work! Further more, back in the day, I almost never carried a spare mag for any of the pistols, Now days I carry at least 2 spares, most folks I know do the same!

I seem to continue to make conceal carry changes, while I until recently kept the same P85 Ruger for a "truck gun". I retired my Springfield XD-E for lack of capacity, and my inability to increase accuracy with it over time. It just never came to me.

I still carry the Sig P290RS for complete stealth mode, but added both a CZ P-01 or P-07 for "normal" CC carry. My "confidence level" with both of these at up to 25yds is very high. While that is far beyond the normal "defensive shooting" distances reported in the news, I prefer to train for the possibility of a mass shooter in a public place - where anybody returning fire routinely ends the rampage. I certainly hope I never find out if my training actually pays off, but still enjoy the challenge. It continues to improve....

E94B7737-D670-40D0-8A3F-06ECF8CA7A41.jpeg

Last Edited:
Depending on season,Summer,Winter etc.I carry a Ruger LW Commander 45acp,Kimber 1911 Custom Tactical 45acp or a S&W Shield 45acp.Not all at same time.For instance in summer its the S&W.I regularly practice with all three.

Have Always been a fan of 1911"s but I regularly carry two Bersa 380s one for the Car and one for the bike
the right weight (23 oz) for the caliber, easy to shot accurately, easy to conceal, compact enough for the saddle bags or under dash
Works for me a single stack Beretta 85 or a Sig P232 would be my other choses if I could find on locally

Last Edited:
Have Always been a fan of 1911"s but I regularly carry two Bersa 380s one for the Car and one for the bike
the right weight (23 oz) for the caliber, easy to shot accurately, easy to conceal, compact enough for the saddle bags or under dash
Works for me a single stack Beretta 85 or a Sig P232 would be my other choses if I could find on locally

My first gun was a Bersa Thunder .380. Wish I hadn't sold it!

By the way, welcome to Southwest Firearms!

Used to carry my G19 all the time, recently went with a G26 as it's easier to conceal. I've added the 2 round extension so 12+1 should get me out of most situations. I'm in a suit most every day so I'm limited on what I can carry.

I used to think of it that way....
Now I look at it strictly as which one would I stand the best chance of effectively defending myself or someone else with - regardless of the cost.
If I lose one while saving my life - I'm going to consider it worth every penny.

I may be biased in my opinion, but I think I'm worth it!:cool:

Glock 19: 17 round mag with spare 17 round mag on the other hip. Hand loaded 147 gr Hydra-Shok over 4.8 grains Bullseye. They will stop a Texas Wild Hog so should slow down even the craziest Meth-head two legged attacker.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top