JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've attempted a new 642 with Lasermax but just, for some reason, can't get the mojo going with it. Range, same results; burned a box of Critical Defense, then switched to standard .38 ball. PIA to control for me. Conversely, I had the 581 4" there and it was after I'd ran it, so my expectations were skewed to a hefty L frame.

Otherwise its a fine revolver.

I have yet to take my 642 to the range for paper target practice, but I did have it out on steel gong day for function testing. Knowing a big benefit of that gun is being able to shoot from within a pocket, my first shot was from the hip at 15 yards. I was shocked when I hit the steel! Unfortunately I wasn't able to replicate it :(

I've attempted a new 642 with Lasermax but just, for some reason, can't get the mojo going with it. Range, same results; burned a box of Critical Defense, then switched to standard .38 ball. PIA to control for me. Conversely, I had the 581 4" there and it was after I'd ran it, so my expectations were skewed to a hefty L frame.

Otherwise its a fine revolver.

These small S&W J-Frames are pretty much limited to, 'Bad Breath Distance' I'm thinking. I practice and qualify at 10 yards, with a 8-10" pattern. I think you headed in the right direction with the .38 Special loads. The Speer 135 grain .38+P is a short barrel load and the max I am comfortable shooting. I practice trigger pull with the .38 Special loads and aimed fire with .38+P 158 grain reloads.. Yup a half box of those and I'm ready to move to the N Frame .357 magnum. :cool:

I pack a Sig P290RS, a mini-9, ITWB with two, extra, eight round mags!
For deep conceal or back up, a Ruger LCP in a Tallon pocket holster or ITWB. Two spare mags.
If I have to go into a place that makes me uncomfortable I carry a Sig P250 in .45ACP or a Beretta 92fs in shoulder holsters! Bout covers it! :)

For deep conceal or back up, a Ruger LCP in a Tallon pocket holster or ITWB. Two spare mags.

I recently bought a Ruger LCP II and I can't believe how good it is. Shooting it back to back with my Keltec P3AT, it's a 100% improvement at least.

I have a Taurus 24-7, .45 with a green laser set up for 40 feet. Loaded it is lighter than any other short gun I have other than my luger and PPKS. The PPKS has a red laser, just a bit light on knock down. I have it in a dedicated fanny pack which is out there for everyone to see. I have been questioned only once. I just said they would not like what they found. the store person nodded and walked away.

I've been carrying a tiny Sig P290RS in a belly band setup. It's perfectly concealed. The 1.5" travel and 38# trigger pull make it perfectly safe without a safety. Occasionally I even manage to hit the target with it.

Last Edited:
I carry an LC9 most of the time, but I carry the CZ 75B when its cool enough that I can conceal it easily. I've got the LC9 with the long trigger pull, and I really don't think its that bad, kinda like the double action on any of my S&W revolvers.

I have a Taurus 24-7, .45 with a green laser set up for 40 feet. Loaded it is lighter than any other short gun I have other than my luger and PPKS. The PPKS has a red laser, just a bit light on knock down. I have it in a dedicated fanny pack which is out there for everyone to see. I have been questioned only once. I just said they would not like what they found. the store person nodded and walked away.
I think it's pretty much a given that if you see a guy with a fanny pack - that he's carrying something in there that goes BANG!! I wear a fanny pack when I'm out hiking with the family. It saves the awkward looks from other hikers that you would get for open carrying.

The moral of the story is to not mess with old guys wearing fanny packs! LOL

I found a deal for a Rossi Combo gun, 12 gauge / .308 in the nice case. Granted these are single shot the cost is low enough I can just leave it in my truck. If the donny brook is a bit a way from me I can do support from a block away. Gotta admit a one ounce slug will get any ones attention even if they have body armor. Then there is the odd coyote or javelina that might attack.

Thought I had posted on this, but I don't see my response so maybe it was on the sister-board...
Most common is a .38 J-frame as it slips in and out of a pocket without a thought. Second-most is a Glock 21 down the backside... or a Makarov, simple to conceal and hotter than a .380...
Open carry- which for several reasons I usually only do in camp or woods-walking- .357 S&W 28 or Redhawk 5.5".
Ive given up carrying the Kalash in town as too many folks get the wrong idea...

I found a deal for a Rossi Combo gun, 12 gauge / .308 in the nice case. Granted these are single shot the cost is low enough I can just leave it in my truck. If the donny brook is a bit a way from me I can do support from a block away. Gotta admit a one ounce slug will get any ones attention even if they have body armor. Then there is the odd coyote or javelina that might attack.
Sounds like an interesting gun, will have to look into it. Have you shot any groups with it? For most street situations it should do the trick...

Sig 938 or Ruger LC9

Do you find it difficult going from a gun with a manual safety to one without?

Thought I had posted on this, but I don't see my response so maybe it was on the sister-board...
Most common is a .38 J-frame as it slips in and out of a pocket without a thought. Second-most is a Glock 21 down the backside... or a Makarov, simple to conceal and hotter than a .380...
Open carry- which for several reasons I usually only do in camp or woods-walking- .357 S&W 28 or Redhawk 5.5".
Ive given up carrying the Kalash in town as too many folks get the wrong idea...

I picked up a 642 ladysmith a while back for cheap. I have several other carry guns but I'm finding myself carrying it more and more. I need to find a solid .357 mag for hiking/camping.

Do you find it difficult going from a gun with a manual safety to one without?

As for me, Joe, I don't have any problems switching between guns with and without external safeties! The three pistols that I carry 95% of the time are all DAO w/ hammers and no safeties. But, that's because they are all modern, polymer frames, and that's how they, mostly, come! Long experience and a tendency to think about and remember what I'm carrying seems a help there! :)

As for me, Joe, I don't have any problems switching between guns with and without external safeties! The three pistols that I carry 95% of the time are all DAO w/ hammers and no safeties. But, that's because they are all modern, polymer frames, and that's how they, mostly, come! Long experience and a tendency to think about and remember what I'm carrying seems a help there! :)

I was told long ago I probably shouldn't switch between my Glock and my 1911 due to one having a manual safety and one not. In training I never had a problem with it, but who knows if it were a real-world situation.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top