JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Used to carry my Colt combat 1911, but was gifted three handguns from a dear friend that passed away.
These were the Bersa thunder .380 single stack, the thunder .380 double stack and the thunder pro 9mm 17+1.
At first I was skeptical, not having any experience with these but after putting hundreds of rounds through them on the range in the back yard and have found them to be excellent handguns that far surpassed my expectations of them.
Fully adjustable sights, auto decock and empty mag slide locks on all three. They are all at least as accurate as I am and I've had not even a hickup with any of them.
The single and double stacks easily fit any pocket I carry them in and the full size 9 rides very comfortably in a shoulder rig or a 4 o'clock high hip carry.
I guess my old buddy Jim knew what the heck he was doing when he he was carrying these!
If you haven't looked into these, you want to take a gander at them, they're an often overlooked, under valued choice that may just surprise you as they did me.
My air weight and 1911 have been given a well deserved rest in the safe for now.
Thanks Jim, rest in peace old buddy.
John.

Great story John!

A Bersa Thunder .380 is actually the gun I purchased they day of my 18th birthday. Didn't have much experience or money to spend (around $200) so I figured I'd trust the recommendations of strangers on the internet. Fortunately they didn't steer me wrong and I loved that little gun. It's too bad I eventually sold it, I'd like to have it back.

I have a S&W 340 light weight J-Frame and carry Speer 135 grain .38+p Gold Dots with it. I practice with reloads of 158 grain loaded to 900 fps. These are about the maximum I care to shoot the light weight J-Frame with. I also have a S&W 640 which has a steel frame and cylinder. I really do not notice a lot of difference when shooting these. I guess I just find the J-Frame Smith's a bear to shoot.;)

I have a S&W 340 light weight J-Frame and carry Speer 135 grain .38+p Gold Dots with it. I practice with reloads of 158 grain loaded to 900 fps. These are about the maximum I care to shoot the light weight J-Frame with. I also have a S&W 640 which has a steel frame and cylinder. I really do not notice a lot of difference when shooting these. I guess I just find the J-Frame Smith's a bear to shoot.;)

I've been trying to decide on defensive ammo for my 642. I'll have to pick up some of those Gold Dots to try out.

I've attempted a new 642 with Lasermax but just, for some reason, can't get the mojo going with it. Range, same results; burned a box of Critical Defense, then switched to standard .38 ball. PIA to control for me. Conversely, I had the 581 4" there and it was after I'd ran it, so my expectations were skewed to a hefty L frame.

Otherwise its a fine revolver.

IMG_8336.JPG S&W M&P 9c - my only carry gun for the last 4 years. Hot or cold, it's the only gun I carry. Benefit is it's the gun I'm most familiar with in terms of muscle memory, etc. (no thumb safety on mine)

New Resource Reviews

Back Top