JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I commented on the site of the article. Maybe there should be a psych eval done to try and establish if there is enough common sense and normalcy before allowing purchase under 21. I understand that's a slippery slope, but there could be more Jared Lochner's out there who would buy a Glock with a 33 round magazine, even though people knew he was a danger. Yeah, I know he was over 21, but that's only a number these days, what with millennials, anti-fa thugs, and bought and paid for actors running around loose.

After reading the article and reviewing UT BCI's MINIMUM TRAINING CURRICULUM FOR UTAH CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT COURSES site I am concerned this course is a minimum of 4 hours which includes fingerprinting and taking potential carriers photos and there is no live fire exercises whatsoever!

While I bemoan NM's 15 hour CC course, I do appreciate the mandatory live fire portion to allow student(s) to actually fire their carry handgun under an instructor's watchful oversight.

Also saw with interest the young lady specifically called out the purchase of a firearm 'from a private' seller but 76-10-509.9 just says no sales to individuals < 18.

I commented on the site of the article. Maybe there should be a psych eval done to try and establish if there is enough common sense and normalcy before allowing purchase under 21. I understand that's a slippery slope, but there could be more Jared Lochner's out there who would buy a Glock with a 33 round magazine, even though people knew he was a danger. Yeah, I know he was over 21, but that's only a number these days, what with millennials, anti-fa thugs, and bought and paid for actors running around loose.
I'm okay with the age of majority being changed to 21 if it applies to all the other things involved with maturity. So that means you can't vote, drive a car or join the military. Is that what you're proposing?

So here's the acid test for me... What percent of those 1400 provisional permits have gotten in any trouble? And how does that compare to the rest of the population of carriers?

When every state started issuing permits the battle cry from the anti's is always " There will be blood running in the streets!" and every time they have been proven wrong! Legal carriers are less likely to commit crimes than the states LEO's. That has proven true in every state. I would be interested to know how 18 to 21 year olds stack up to the older people's stats. DR

Lots and lots of women in gun stores now. I have no idea how many are buying vs looking. But at the indoor range it's getting closer to a 50/50 ratio of men to women shooting all the time. It's also been said that the next generation of young people will be much more conservative than the generation before them. I'm not sure how or why that would be the case - but it would be something to cheer about.

So here's the acid test for me... What percent of those 1400 provisional permits have gotten in any trouble? And how does that compare to the rest of the population of carriers?

When every state started issuing permits the battle cry from the anti's is always " There will be blood running in the streets!" and every time they have been proven wrong! Legal carriers are less likely to commit crimes than the states LEO's. That has proven true in every state. I would be interested to know how 18 to 21 year olds stack up to the older people's stats. DR

Unfortunately the UT BCI only lumps everyone with permits together, but 4th qtr 17, 65 permits were revoked for a myriad of reasons , including moral turpitude (you are on your own to determine what this offense covers but on the surface, majority were for alcohol (34) so you can determine if done as an adult or young adult.
Firearm Transfer / Concealed Firearm Permit Statistics | DPS – Criminal Identification (BCI)

New Resource Reviews

Back Top