JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys,
What are the main advantages/disadvantages and uses of a hunting knife vs tactical knife when it comes to civilian applications (hunting etc).
There seems to be a lot of interest in tactical knives for non-military people, but I never understood why. Are not companies simply marketing them as hunting knives if civilians use them for hunting?
Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm trying to learn before I go out and buy stuff.
Thanks

Speaking only for myself here...
Its more of how I use the knife , versus what the knife is called or marketed as.

I have used my Blackjack model 5 which I carried while in the Army as a field knife and on four combat deployments...
It has also been used as a hunting , kitchen and camp knife , now that I am out of the Army...
So just what is this knife...?
A "tactical knife " or a "hunting knife"...?

My answer , to borrow a phrase from "Crocodile Dundee" : Now this is a knife....

As for advantages I like how this knife is made and the materials used in its construction...the blade length and shape lend itself to how I cut , chop , slice or otherwise use this knife...
Plus actually having had to use this knife when the SHTF...I know that it works .
But other folks may not like any of the above in my knife....

A knife is a knife...no more , no less , if you use it "tactically" , then its a "tactical knife"...if used for hunting its a hunting knife.
Use what you want and what works for you....
Andy

For point of reference for my first post here is my Blackjack model 5...
5 1/2 inch carbon steel blade and a stacked leather handle.
DSC06038.jpg

Some other knives that I use quite often....three of which are around 100 odd years old...the knives not the scabbards...
DSC06772.jpg

Any of the above can be "tactical" or for hunting depending on the usage...
Andy

I still use the Original "Tactical" knife, designed by one Jim Bowie all those years ago, and I use Hybrids of that design!
No one ever told Jim that his knives were Tactical, to him they were a working solution to his needs!
The type of knife doesn't really mean much, more its use then anything else! A Hunting knife is usually a larger fixed blade with a hand guard to keep from slicing your self. Most fighting knives are themselves Hybrids of hunting knives!
There are hundreds of different knives based on need, and literally millions of designs based on those, so it's all in what you the user decide you need!
Here is my all time favorite all purpose Bowie!
s-l1600.jpg

I also like the Bowie design and have a few different versions of it. These two have been on 4 continents with me. The larger Cold Steel has taken some abuse and done great.

Crew served knives 002.jpg

I also like the Bowie design and have a few different versions of it. These two have been on 4 continents with me. The larger Cold Steel has taken some abuse and done great.

View attachment 6506
Interesting how the Laredo has "taken some abuse and done well".... I do like mine, it's at least ten years old... have always wondered about that handle material and the cable tang... and it isnt my only CS cable tang knife. Just not sure to what extent I can trust that combination in a real pinchy situation. Fighting knife, OK, (if running away isnt an option), but woodsy-thumper, I just dunno. Only heard of one being "inadvertently" broken however, and the guy beat on the handle and so broke it. So I generally rely on one of my CS full-tanger TrailMasters in C-V for campsite-type work. And a Master-hunter for most everything else.
Ive always figgered that IF a cable-tang should ever break on me- assuming I survive the situation- I will TIG-weld a proper tang extension and thread it for a pommel. My curiosity hasnt got to the point of purposefully breaking one just to see how it would work...
That said, it remains to be seen how the company which has bought out Lynn Thompson will run the business. A pity to see an established and trusted brand sold down the river. Not that I need more knives, mind you, but Ive been looking at other brands for quality knives in future. CS has been my "go to" since I bought my first TM in the early-mid '80's... ups and downs for sure but mainly decent, trust-worthy knives. Sad to see them go.