Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

What SHTF Skills Do you have ?

Reactions
Almost ashamed to post it as most people think it is fake, BUT. Retired: US ARMY Special Forces Engineer and Officer, State Police Bomb Squad and SWAT Team Commander, Subject Matter Expert for Weapons of Mass Destruction, Intelligence Operations, Security, Thermal Imagery and Night Vision, Firearms Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer, Home Made Explosives, EMT, Pilot-Fixed Wing Single engine, SCUBA Instructor, and grew up on a farm so can grow most things and fix the equipment.
I believe everything you listed and want to thank you for your service.

Reactions
here's my thinking, when the zombie apocalypse comes, there's going to be lots of growth opportunity in the zombie army. A really simple path is rather than resist, buy in. Go zombie early, and try to survive. Think about the opportunities for field promotion! All those zombies mindlessly marching into machineguns and minefields. All you have to do is not do that, and you'll be head zombie in no time.

Reactions
building all sorts of things, improvising(mcgyvering), fixing just about anything mechanical, building primitive fires, purifying water, hunting, fishing, trapping.

i wish i was better at identifying plants. i can definitely identify poison oak LOL.

Reactions
Think about the opportunities for field promotion! All those zombies mindlessly marching into machineguns and minefields. All you have to do is not do that, and you'll be head zombie in no time.
But doesn't a zombie have to be hit in the head some sort of blunt force to kill it? I'm no expert on The Walking Dead; can zombies take intelligent decisions to avoid those blazing machine guns? I never watched even half an episode of that show...

Reactions
I have good skills, and tools. I have learned to build wind mills and convert an alternator to a generator, I can distill fuel[ and other stuff]. My dads family were meat cutters so I'm pretty good with a butcher knife. I can weld and have portable welders. I can fix most appliances, have a good background in electrical systems. I can hunt and fish.
My problem is I'm on so many life preserving drugs, I would not last long in a SHTF situation. I do have 5 sons that can all shoot, and can fix most anything that is broken.

Reactions
Supposed to be a good range out off of Ajo way, wanna check it out and see what its got!
There are two ranges out that way. One is a competition shot gun (only) nice when not busy. They get real restrictive when busy. Understandably but sure takes the fun away fast.
The other is a typical rifle pistol range. Never been to it. I believe it is the Tucson Rifle range.
There is another operated by Pima County over near the fairgrounds.
My favorite is up in Catalina the Pima Pistol Club, 20 bucks for non members.

Reactions
I have built shelters and a personal cabin (simple but efficient), can build and maintain a fire, shoot rifle, pistol and shotgun, ride a horse, butcher game including deer, grow food and garden and cook.. have raised cattle, goats and pigs.. have made some knives and done some forging and other metal work...
My problem is the medications I take, my heart might not last long without, and mild diabetic condition would probably explode... ah well.

Reactions
I am a diabetic as well. I look at when the shtf as a mandatory diet and a huge amount of exercise. Something I am doing but not to the extreme this will demand. I would think that most even the heavy planners will lose 20-30 pounds the first month.
I am building my home now on 5 acres the structure is far enough away from it can not be seen. 'Course there is the lane that leads back. The electric company has created a issue so I have built most of the place with a generator and cordless tools. I have gotten several smaller solar panels and am learning about living without a infinite source of power. Seriously changes your perspective about how your daily life works.
I located and stored 30 days of MRE's a while back. They probably will be over the stated life, but I figure calories are calories. I have a several reloaders, powder, projectiles and primers. I do not plan on going quietly into the night.
The thing I want to do is create a plan with one buddy and his family. Together I figure we have a much better shot at survival. Problem is he is 30 miles away and we have not worked out the travel. My place is a lot more remote than his tract house.
The last thing I have come to realize is that if this happens I am going to have to be mobile constantly. Staying in one place is sure to destroy the local game and environment.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Bass Pro Shops - Las Vegas
    4.00 star(s)
    2 pistol and 2 rifle ranges. Not too bad of a layout but they are tight.
    • djthumper
  • Nellis Gun Club
    3.00 star(s)
    Tried to take my Scouts out for Rifle Merit Badge Qualifications and it took a while to make contact with them for when we could go use the range...
    • djthumper
  • Bruno Shooter Supply
    4.00 star(s)
    When I can get there, I never leave without buying something I needs, because they always have something I need!
    • armoredman
  • New Frontier Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    Great store and inventory, they have a lot of items. The staff is always friendly and helpful. This place gets really busy and you have to take a...
    • djthumper
  • Las Vegas Shooting Center
    5.00 star(s)
    Lots of room to get around in the store. The range looked nicely lit. Friendly staff.
    • djthumper

ONLINE NOW