JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Mustardseed Truck Stop on Highway 167 in Sumner, Wash., wins little love: "filthy," "disgusting," "overpriced" are but a few of the many scathing reviews offered by truckers reluctantly paying $13 for a 12-hour break on its premises.

It's also a former crime scene, where, on March 8, 2016, 52-year-old Piotr Pietrzykowski was stabbed to death in his white cab. He was driving for Top Line Express, a company founded in 2011 in Schaumburg, Ill.

His violent death, reported only by the local media, remains unsolved more than a year later.

Pietrzykowski's slaying is one of 27 reported driver killings nationwide between 2010 and 2015, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics' data. It also prompted a debate on whether truckers should be allowed to carry guns for protection.

"It's the Wild West. You're on your own," said Norita Taylor, spokeswoman for the Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association, which represents 158,000 members.

Unlike the Wild West, though, where many carried a six-shooter and rarely hesitated to use it in their own defense, today's drivers face a much different and more challenging environment.

https://www.trucks.com/2017/06/12/truckers-guns-taboo-topic/

There should be a Nationally recognized CCW permit process in place for those truckers to protect themselves. Yes, perform the required background checks as required by law, but make it 50-state legal. They should be able to be "secure" in what for many of them is their home on wheels.

I can't imagine being an unarmed truck driver. Many of the industrial areas border shady parts of town.

Yep, exactly. When I was in college I carried despite the fact that I could get expelled (it wasn't illegal, just against school policy).

I drove an oxygen truck years ago - my boss knew I had a gun, and didn't care, as long as I used it legally. In fact, when we had a local nutjob decide to wander in the warehouse while I was gone, there were three ladies from the office with various light pistols, one driver with his 45 ACP, and the owners son with a shotgun! Loser went bye-bye Very fast, from what I was told. Company folded 20 years ago after the owner went nuts.

A nationwide reciprocity bill for ALL licensees is currently in the works of congress. Few people are holding their breath though, nor should they. Our elected representatives ability to get anything positive done in recent years has earned them an approval rating just slightly better than hemoroids. A well deserved reputation IMHO.

AZ remains the gold standard of CCWs being recognized in 38 states for residents. Most states have different laws though so it be hooves us to learn the laws of every place we choose to carry. Often cities, counties, etc... Have conflicting regs as well. AZ has an anti-preemption law preventing this; the law remains the same anywhere in-state. I feel AZ remains the friendliest of states for 2nd Amendment proponents. Despite the efforts of refugees from states like California trying to change this.

Personally I try my best to avoid places that won't honor my CCW. I also back this up with my wallet, doing my best not to support financially anyone propagating unconstitutional policy.

For now, my heart goes out to truckers having to pull over before state lines to lock up their guns. let's hope the new administration changes that for all of us sometime soon.

For truckers it's more than just a CCW thing. Instate its up to you and your employer but across state lines and it becomes a federal offense.[ even if you have permits in both states.] I'll have to look it up but its was written into some obscure transportation bill. DR

The bad thing, I mean very bad thing is, if you got dispatched to Canada and had to get rid of your gun. WTF. They don't like handguns in the hands of anybody, unless you live there and follow the rules.. (LAWS)

The bad thing, I mean very bad thing is, if you got dispatched to Canada and had to get rid of your gun. WTF. They don't like handguns in the hands of anybody, unless you live there and follow the rules.. (LAWS)

I don't know much about trucking but hopefully you'd get some advanced notice for international travel!

I don't know much about trucking but hopefully you'd get some advanced notice for international travel!

Normally you would, BUT, only some drivers can get into Canada because of their past. If a load is dispatched to a driver who can't, you might get the load. I did heavy haul and would get to go to some of the provinces regularly. I carried an ASP and hoped I didn't get caught with that.

Normally you would, BUT, only some drivers can get into Canada because of their past. If a load is dispatched to a driver who can't, you might get the load. I did heavy haul and would get to go to some of the provinces regularly. I carried an ASP and hoped I didn't get caught with that.

Ah, that makes sense!

When I had to go into Canada, I'd find the nearest gunsmith and have my gun "Cleaned". And for a small fee I'd pick it up the next day or two. DR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top