Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Popular fishing in the Southwestern states?

Joe Link

Reactions
I don't know much about fishing down south. I imagine you guys have trout and other popular species, but what else do you guys mostly fish for?

Reactions
Looks like nobody answered you. Az has trout up north. As close as 80 miles from the valley starting in payson. Woods canyon lake, bear canyon lake has tons of trout and crawfish. Big lake as well. Lots of creeks up there as well. In the valley places like Tempe town lake and some Indian reservations have lots of cat fish as well

Reactions
What's your guy's native trout species? Anything interesting like Dorado or a Westslope Cutthroat? Can you fish for them?
Up here we have Bull Trout, or Dolly Varden, and they can get to be about 40" in length. However most that people catch are about 30"... They are commonly targeted on the Metolius, as that's the only place they still allow catch and release in Oregon, as far as I know. We also have a coastal cutthroats and Lahontan Cutthroats (or something very similar but unique).

Reactions
I'd be willing to bet that water is in short supply in the desert although I have fished Lake Havasu many years ago & love strippers!!! ;)

11Charlie

Reactions
What's your guy's native trout species? Anything interesting like Dorado or a Westslope Cutthroat? Can you fish for them?
Up here we have Bull Trout, or Dolly Varden, and they can get to be about 40" in length. However most that people catch are about 30"... They are commonly targeted on the Metolius, as that's the only place they still allow catch and release in Oregon, as far as I know. We also have a coastal cutthroats and Lahontan Cutthroats (or something very similar but unique).
I love hooking into a good Dolly Varden! Used to go fishing all the time up by Trinity which is a old mining town over by Fish lake in Eastern Washington.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Arizona Firearms - Tempe
    5.00 star(s)
    I went there today to pick up a firearm and had a very good experience. I will shop there again.
    • MadDuner
    5.00 star(s)
    Every time I go in there I leave with what I needed and without feeling like my wallet was raped.
    • Mrjenkins
    5.00 star(s)
    Anyone in Phoenix area should check out Arizona Firearms on University and Priest. They have a big selection of firearms and have great prices.
    • JonathanB
  • Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    When I go in I usually will watch and listen to employees before I choose which one to talk to. The good employees are great to talk with. The...
    • Gunsandgars
  • Murphy's Guns and Gunsmithing
    4.00 star(s)
    I have purchased new and used from them. I was lucky a while back and they had a Armalite AR10A with a lot of accessories that I just had to have...
    • Belevolk