JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know much about fishing down south. I imagine you guys have trout and other popular species, but what else do you guys mostly fish for?

Looks like nobody answered you. Az has trout up north. As close as 80 miles from the valley starting in payson. Woods canyon lake, bear canyon lake has tons of trout and crawfish. Big lake as well. Lots of creeks up there as well. In the valley places like Tempe town lake and some Indian reservations have lots of cat fish as well

What's your guy's native trout species? Anything interesting like Dorado or a Westslope Cutthroat? Can you fish for them?
Up here we have Bull Trout, or Dolly Varden, and they can get to be about 40" in length. However most that people catch are about 30"... They are commonly targeted on the Metolius, as that's the only place they still allow catch and release in Oregon, as far as I know. We also have a coastal cutthroats and Lahontan Cutthroats (or something very similar but unique).

What's your guy's native trout species? Anything interesting like Dorado or a Westslope Cutthroat? Can you fish for them?
Up here we have Bull Trout, or Dolly Varden, and they can get to be about 40" in length. However most that people catch are about 30"... They are commonly targeted on the Metolius, as that's the only place they still allow catch and release in Oregon, as far as I know. We also have a coastal cutthroats and Lahontan Cutthroats (or something very similar but unique).

I love hooking into a good Dolly Varden! Used to go fishing all the time up by Trinity which is a old mining town over by Fish lake in Eastern Washington.

I don't know much about fishing down south. I imagine you guys have trout and other popular species, but what else do you guys mostly fish for?
We have channel catfish, flathead catfish, crappie, bass smallmouth and largemouth, walleye, stripers, white bass. We have an urban lake program that sticks trout in the winter months and catfish during the warmer months. You can find a lot of different species to catch with a little homework. We have limited shoreline on our big lakes but you can catch all species from the shore line.

You guys are forgetting Canyon, and Saguaro lakes down south. Mostly bass and crappie IIRC. Fishing for trout in the cold creeks around Pine and Payson too. Got some pan sized out of Pine creek when I was a teenager. Almost forgot Oak Creek Canyon over by Sedona, but it gets lots of pressure, and tons of people, but it sure is pretty up there. Lots of weird people live there who believe in the stories about space vibrations and such. Most Western movies were filmed there back in the early days and old Coffeepot Rock is a famous landmark that was usually included in the movies along with other of the local landmarks. Got its name because it looks like the old porcelain camp pots.
If you've never been there go take it in, lots of Indian jewelry, pottery and some really beautiful Navajo rugs, but you will need a well stocked credit card for a lot of it.
My wife and I honeymooned there and took a local scenic flight from the local airport on top of a local mesa.
Goldwater and Lynx lake by Prescott, those 2 are small and have some crappie blue gills and stocked trout, no gas engines.
Both have plenty crayfish and they often have big get togethers at Lynx for big craw dad boils, check with the Chamber of Commerce or Fish and Game for dates.
I never learned how good they are till after I moved up here to OR.
Well enjoy, it's been fun reminiscing with y'all.
Gabby
PS I never even touched on over by Alpine. Gorgeous country with lakes all over the place, check it out.
You guys live in one of the most beautiful states there is, I sure miss it.

Speak of fishing in OR, almost everything is catch and release and the Fish and game regulations are so difficult to understand and limiting that I've never even bought a permit for hunting or fishing here, and The West Fork of the Illinois River runs by less than a mile from my house.
I miss AZ!
Gabby

we have apache trout, az state fish, cutthroat, Brooke, brown, rainbows... some lake in the white mountains have grayling, beautiful fish!

Wife and I kayak fish Saguaro and Canyon lake a lot.
During the summer well get there about midnight and fish till about 0900, we pull some respectable striped and large mouth bass out, with the occasional cat.
We also fish the lower Salt, they stock it with Rainbows, you can limit out in just a few hours with some decent sized fish from April till early June, then the water gets too hot and they die off.

Anyone fishing the lakes near Prescott, ie; Goldwater, or Lynx, even Granite? A couple of others south of there in the Bradshaws
can't remember their names, they are small and stocked with trout. :mad:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top