JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi. I started researching guns in preparation for a news article (I work as a news reporter) and I've since become fascinated with the general culture around gun ownership. I just went through a background check today in Taos in preparation for purchasing my first firearm.

Is anyone else on this website in an area around the northern Rio Grande?

I am not but curious about your story of how you came to be Interested in firearms on a deeper level.
Initially I had a very limited understanding of firearms. I was not raised around them and I grew up with a naive ide that they are not regulated enough. Now that I'm speaking with more gun owners and researching more on how firearms operate and how they are practically sold, I think I have a better understanding of them as a tool as well as the culture around them. Every gun owner I've spoken with in my area values safety very highly and it doesn't seem right to punish law-abiding citizens for the actions of criminals.

Initially I had a very limited understanding of firearms. I was not raised around them and I grew up with a naive ide that they are not regulated enough. Now that I'm speaking with more gun owners and researching more on how firearms operate and how they are practically sold, I think I have a better understanding of them as a tool as well as the culture around them. Every gun owner I've spoken with in my area values safety very highly and it doesn't seem right to punish law-abiding citizens for the actions of criminals.
It's also fun to shoot guns.👍

I'm not in your area, so good luck.
What kind of gun did you get for a first gun? are you going to go all in with a CCW? Maybe some competitions?
If you prefer privacy, you have plenty of desert to shoot in. DR

I'm not in your area, so good luck.
What kind of gun did you get for a first gun? are you going to go all in with a CCW? Maybe some competitions?
If you prefer privacy, you have plenty of desert to shoot in. DR
Have not bought one yet, I'm going back to the shop this month (before my background check expires). I'm either going with a Canik or a Taurus pistol because those are more affordable brands.

I would like to go through some kind of shooting course with the intention to get a concealed carry license. I live on a relatively large piece of property so I'm not too worried about upsetting my few neighbors.

Taurus's newer stuff seems to have been dialed in. The G3 and GX4 I have heard no complaints about. But for about the same price you can get a S&W Shield that is about the same size but has a much better aftermarket. every company that makes holsters makes one for the Shield. The same for aftermarket sights and trigger upgrades.
Canik is another good shooter but also is hard to find good holsters that fit.
Holsters are more of a personal fit than the guns they carry. They have to position the gun where you can quickly get a firing grip, keep the gun secure while you are moving around , and keep the gun concealed. And with as many body types and shapes as there are, no one holster will fit all people.
My most carried CCW gun has three different holsters. One for pocket carry, one outside the belt holster for controlled ranges that don't allow drawing from a pocket, and another Crossdraw for days when I'm driving all day. It puts the gun in my lap and away from the seatbelt but still securely on me.
You will find that a lot of people have a box full of holsters that did not work out for them. They buy them and find they are not right and in the box they go.
I sell and trade off the ones I don't like or I would have a whole room full.
Having a popular gun makes finding used holsters so much easier. and when you find the one that works the holsters are less expensive.
Good holsters for the Taurus and Canik are going to be custom made to fit. DR

Welcome to the Forum as well as your journey of enlightenment.

New Mexico's Governor recently banned the sale of guns for a while. Is that all cleared up?
The hoops people have to go through just to exercise their rights is becoming alarming. California has made it very difficult to purchase ammo as @dangerranger is finding out.

If your first gun purchase is for protection outside the home, focus on what it will take to have it with you almost always.

If you are interested in learning how to shoot first, consider the most affordable caliber, the 22LR. It is easy to dismiss the value of shooting
1000 rounds of something.

For home defense, a good pump shotgun is widely accepted.

I just purchased a Canick 9mm pistol which I will probably be picking up next. It was relatively cheap so I'll be looking for some shooting courses in my area. I'll probably have to travel to Santa Fe for those.

Which model Canick did you get? The larger Canicks are a great choice for a range gun, but can be rather heavy for everyday, all day carry. They also work well as something on your side (in a good belt and holster) around your property, or as a car gun. And I cannot stress enough the need to get a QUALITY .22LR rifle AND pistol - the cost of ammunition is a significant part of your "firearm equation". Yes, shooting guns safely is definitely a lot of fun but paying for ammo is not, and .22LR ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful (for now)! And who knows what our Bidenesque Governor will do next.... Practicing the fundamentals with a .22 will be enjoyable and make you a better overall shooter. Training with a .22 helps you learn without the noise and recoil that can cause new shooters to develop bad habits shooting rifles or handguns, (both pistol or revolver). A .22 rifle will be able to provide a lot of fun, practice, and experience at the same time, and are more capable than many believe. If you live on a large property a quality .22LR rifle can be a great asset. Remember, these are TOOLS, and learning how to use them correctly - and appropriately - adds to their safety and enjoyment.

Last Edited:
Which model Canick did you get? The larger Canicks are a great choice for a range gun, but can be rather heavy for everyday, all day carry. They also work well as something on your side (in a good belt and holster) around your property, or as a car gun. And I cannot stress enough the need to get a QUALITY .22LR rifle AND pistol - the cost of ammunition is a significant part of your "firearm equation". Yes, shooting guns safely is definitely a lot of fun but paying for ammo is not, and .22LR ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful (for now)! And who knows what our Bidenesque Governor will do next.... Practicing the fundamentals with a .22 will be enjoyable and make you a better overall shooter. Training with a .22 helps you learn without the noise and recoil that can cause new shooters to develop bad habits shooting rifles or handguns, (both pistol or revolver). A .22 rifle will be able to provide a lot of fun, practice, and experience at the same time, and are more capable than many believe. If you live on a large property a quality .22LR rifle can be a great asset. Remember, these are TOOLS, and learning how to use them correctly - and appropriately - adds to their safety and enjoyment.
I bought a TP9SF.

I don't think I have a need to carry it with me everywhere, I bought it mainly as a home defense gun as well as for recreation.

Definitely a great home defense gun! But even so, get a 22LR rifle of some sort, a cheap single shot is fine as it drives home the fundamentals. A single shot makes you pay attention to each and every shot. Not nearly as much fun as my Marlin 39A lever gun that I've had for over 60 years, or a Ruger 10-22 semi, one of which I've also had for over 45 years. And then there's my Ruger Pistol and ..... one can go on and on reminiscing. I've had a few of a great variety of calibers over the years, some of which I passed on to my kids or grandkids, and then there's all those I kick myself furiously for having sold.

I bought a TP9SF.

I don't think I have a need to carry it with me everywhere, I bought it mainly as a home defense gun as well as for recreation.
Thats a good size first gun. not so small it's hard to shoot, not too big to carry. Have you gotten out to shoot it yet?
When you choose your first holster, look for leather or kydex outside the waist band [OWB], that covers both the trigger and the muzzle. it can have an open bottom but should not have the muzzle sticking out. this protects the gun from being bumped, scratched, the barrel plugged, or the trigger pulled while in the holster. OWB holsters are excepted in most ranges. [some indoor ranges wont allow any holster at all] A good holster wont be cheap but its like keeping your car in a garage, it lasts longer and is protected. Good Luck DR

Thats a good size first gun. not so small it's hard to shoot, not too big to carry. Have you gotten out to shoot it yet?
When you choose your first holster, look for leather or kydex outside the waist band [OWB], that covers both the trigger and the muzzle. it can have an open bottom but should not have the muzzle sticking out. this protects the gun from being bumped, scratched, the barrel plugged, or the trigger pulled while in the holster. OWB holsters are excepted in most ranges. [some indoor ranges wont allow any holster at all] A good holster wont be cheap but its like keeping your car in a garage, it lasts longer and is protected. Good Luck DR
I've shot it, I realized I'm not a good shot.😆

shooting is a learned skill.
Start with your best posture, In the video you have your arms pushed out and your head and neck as far back as they can go. almost like you are trying to get as far away from the gun as you can get. Get your upper body over the balls of your feet, your arms out front, but your elbows not locked. that lets your upper body work as a shock absorber and makes your balance point forward. then get your chin down in a head forward position.

I don't see eye protection or ear protection. both are important to keep that flinch under control.
then try dryfiring the gun.
Get a few #2 pencils with their rubber erasers and a cardboard box. draw a couple small dots on the box.
Make sure the gun is empty and there is no ammo in the room. With the gun cocked slide a pencil eraser first down the barrel, aim the gun at one of the dots on the cardboard and when your aim is perfect ease back in the trigger. you only need to be a couple inches back from the cardboard. the pencil will be driven forward by the firing pin.
start out with your hands resting on the table. and when you can make 5 shots in one hole, just rest your elbows. you are learning trigger and sight control.
Remember to keep your posture right even seated at a table.
once you get that down, your next lesson will be front sight, press.
Good Luck DR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top