Fire Restrictions in Arizona

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by wifininja021, May 3, 2018.

1. MadDuner

MadDuner
    Anywhere I Want

Maybe explody targets are a bad idea when the desert is all dried out?

Just a thought.....

curtmini14 and AZgunGuy like this.
  2. AZgunGuy

AZgunGuy
    Arizona

People also like to shoot steel core, steel/bi-metal jacket, tracers, AP etc since they cant at ranges. All of that ammo can cause a spark, add to that rapid fire, binary triggers and bump stocks....does it happen often no, but can it, 100%. Responsible shooters tend to know better, but its the irresponsible ones that cause issues. Laws are reactive, meaning they are in place because it has already had the cause and effect that they are trying to prevent. Its easier to say no to all then yes to some. We are lucky enough to live in a state with the most laxed rules on firearms, if they say no shooting during this time, thats what I'll be adhering to. Not doing so will lead to ban and thats exactly what the left wants.

wifininja021 likes this.
  3. mfbill

mfbill
    Tempe, AZ

Check out Tonto. There is a feed that gives current updates on area specific closures and restrictions. There are bulletin boards posted as well at most turn-offs on Beeline that are frequented by shooters. (I.e. Sycamore, sugarloaf, etc)

Tonto National Forest - Home

wifininja021 likes this.
  4. old4570guy

old4570guy

I have started fires with my muzzle loader. The patch has to be found and stomped out when shooting lead balls. I have seen it myself.

curtmini14 likes this.
  5. Tony in Az

Tony in Az
    Arizona

On Monday, the Heber fire was caused by a semi dragging a chain. I suppose all the roads should just be closed so this doesn't happen. Perhaps someone can figure out how to stop lightning.

Let's just stop the disinformation about target shooting on public land. THERE IS NO STUDY THAT TARGET SHOOTING (PAPER, STEEL, ROCKS) CAUSES FIRES. IT JUST DOESN'T EXIST SO STOP IT.

This is the same mentality that got new machine guns banned in 1986. It's only sensible that we ban machine guns even though 2 crimes have been committed with NFA firearms since 1932.
    It only makes sense that shooting should be prohibited on public land, it causes fires.

Here's your black powder study. Sorry, not conclusive.

https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_other/rmrs_2009_haston_d001.pdf

I have no doubt folks have their own stories of big foot, spontaneous human combustion, and starting fires while target shooting. It just hasn't been reproduced in a scientific study which should be necessary to ban folks from enjoying public lands. I've been shooting in the desert for 40 years, tens of thousands of rounds and I'll admit, I did start a fire with Chinese steel core ammo shooting a rock that happened to be quartz. But far more fires are caused from things that aren't prohibited. So lets just stop the noise. If you want to ban binary explosives, fine. There's a government study on those, too, by the way. But don't give false facts on shooting causes fires because it's not out there. Just stop it.

6. targetshooter

targetshooter
    So. AZ

Sorry, but you almost sound like someone who doesn't care about starting wildfires? You keep on citing the lack of studies as meaning there aren't fires caused by shooting, even though you admit that you have started at least one.

Reminds me of an old quote, "methinks he doth protesteth too loudly".

If there are any studies, that only means that there haven't been any studies! It sure doesn't mean that the facts aren't there, they just haven't been compiled. Why take the chance, JUST DONT DO IT!!!!

7. Tony in Az

Tony in Az
    Arizona

"Appeal to emotion or argumentum ad passiones is a logical fallacy characterized by the manipulation of the recipient's emotions in order to win an argument, especially in the absence of factual evidence. ... Appeals to emotion are intended to draw inward feelings from the acquirer of the information."

I don't believe in banning AR-15's either just because idiots use them in illegal ways. Appeals to emotion are a slippery slope. Freedom is not free, there's always a cost. There are better ways to manage than closing off huge swaths of public land to intelligent law abiding people. Shooting doesn't cause fires and there have been studies; they just aren't published because then it would be hard to just close off land to people who want to shoot.

8. targetshooter

targetshooter
    So. AZ

first there aren't studies, now there are?

JUST DONT RISK STARTING A FIRE; THEY HURT!!! And you admit you started a fire, or are you trying to "manipulate the recipients emotions in order to win an argument"?

9. nmwabbit

nmwabbit
    abq

Alas, being the good member I purport to be:

2013 USFS sponsored study: http://mediaassets.thedenverchannel.com/documents/Finney_et al_rp104.pdf

quote:
    In the United States, outdoor target shooting has been suspected as the source of numerous wildland fires.

Thus, the primary focus of this study is whether inert projectiles fired from commonly available modern rifles can cause ignition of wildland vegetal matter. unquote

I also do not vouch nor discredit the modalities nor the results of the study.

10. Tony in Az

Tony in Az
    Arizona

That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for that link. See they do do studies. I haven't seen that before; it's really good.

And next time I'm in a dried out peat bog, (not sure that exists in the United States), I'll be sure not to shoot my steel target. Peat is a fossil fuel by the way. Probably more flammable than char cloth. Definitely more flammable than a tank of gas.

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopene...a-car-explode-if-you-fire-a-bullet-at-it.html

All kidding aside, that's still good data in that study. I'm glad someone is paying attention.

In case anyone was wondering.

List of bogs - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  11. nmwabbit

nmwabbit
    abq

tony, as stated, not vouching for anything, but as you stated...'someone is paying attention'.:rolleyes: