JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you ever practiced "The Mozambique-Failure Drill"? or something similar?

• Total voters
This guy does a good job of demonstrating how your legs need to work to move at the same time. Obviously, it's more difficult on uneven terrain. We practice in the desert, so uneven is a given. LOL

Good info there, I'm saving that for reference.

I thought I'd revisit this.
After working this yesterday and timing it, 3 shots each at all 3 targets and landing them in the correct spots ended up being more like 5 seconds. If you hurried, you could do it in more like 4 seconds but that usually resulted in at least 1 that went into a shoulder or hip instead of kill zone.

We made a mess out of our targets when the game turned into "How quickly can you empty the mag, hitting all 3 targets." The short reset trigger systems sure made the rounds leave faster than the "stock" trigger reset weapons did. That was an absolute blast, and more times than not - all rounds would have counted in a real-world situation.

The end result is that....
WE NEED TO BRING MORE AMMO!

I thought I'd revisit this.
After working this yesterday and timing it, 3 shots each at all 3 targets and landing them in the correct spots ended up being more like 5 seconds. If you hurried, you could do it in more like 4 seconds but that usually resulted in at least 1 that went into a shoulder or hip instead of kill zone.

We made a mess out of our targets when the game turned into "How quickly can you empty the mag, hitting all 3 targets." The short reset trigger systems sure made the rounds leave faster than the "stock" trigger reset weapons did. That was an absolute blast, and more times than not - all rounds would have counted in a real-world situation.

The end result is that....
WE NEED TO BRING MORE AMMO!

If it wasn't so rainy today I'd be out there trying it.

Any photos of your targets?

I remember doing that WAY back in the day, told it was called the Mozambique because it came from a soldier shooting a terrorist at the Mozambique airport; first two rounds bounced off the terrorists bullet resistant vest, so the soldier had to head shoot him. Of course, that was the story they told us when introducing us to the technique back in the early 80s. Since then i haven't used it, as all my Dept training has been center of mass, but with the prevalence of armor, might be a good thing to practice again!

armoredman, I, too, used to train this particular series when I shot IPSC back in the late 70' and also in the 80's both for competition and my old department had that as part of our qualifications tests.
IIRC the term was coined by the Retired (late) Col. Jeff Cooper and/or Chuck Taylor, both of which stressed its use up at Gunsite Training Range.
Then as now it IS a decent skill to have for reasons already mentioned and moreso today, IMO.
My only gripe on the tactic is that a "target" wouldn't stand still as you poked a couple holes in his chest and also stand still while you focus on shooting him in the brain pan. In real life, chances are your target would be bowed over from pain (getting shot is NOT comfortable regardless if you have a vest and even worse if you dont) and the head would be bobbing or something other than stationary.
All that aside, the Mozambique Drill gets you thinking outside of the box and could prepare you for a failure to stop on your intended target.
If someone needs to be shot there is no benefit to only shooting them a little bit. They worked for it so hook 'em up with plenty of Pain Pills for their troubles. Just make DAMNED sure they needed killing, er, "shooting" so you don't get a long-term stay at the Gray Bar Hotel. ;-)

armoredman, I, too, used to train this particular series when I shot IPSC back in the late 70' and also in the 80's both for competition and my old department had that as part of our qualifications tests.
IIRC the term was coined by the Retired (late) Col. Jeff Cooper and/or Chuck Taylor, both of which stressed its use up at Gunsite Training Range.
Then as now it IS a decent skill to have for reasons already mentioned and moreso today, IMO.
My only gripe on the tactic is that a "target" wouldn't stand still as you poked a couple holes in his chest and also stand still while you focus on shooting him in the brain pan. In real life, chances are your target would be bowed over from pain (getting shot is NOT comfortable regardless if you have a vest and even worse if you dont) and the head would be bobbing or something other than stationary.
All that aside, the Mozambique Drill gets you thinking outside of the box and could prepare you for a failure to stop on your intended target.
If someone needs to be shot there is no benefit to only shooting them a little bit. They worked for it so hook 'em up with plenty of Pain Pills for their troubles. Just make DAMNED sure they needed killing, er, "shooting" so you don't get a long-term stay at the Gray Bar Hotel. ;-)

Good points!

I'm interested to hear of any other drills folks practice. If you guys have any you should post a thread!

New Resource Reviews

Back Top