JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you ever practiced "The Mozambique-Failure Drill"? or something similar?

• Total voters
Reactions
I just read this article about "The Mozambique-Failure Drill". I have not practiced this method but I think I will give it a try next time I go to the range.
Shooting Skills: The Mozambique-Failure Drill | Gun Digest

Image3.jpg

We practice that against 3 "opponents", at 7,10 and 15 yds at the same time, but haven't timed it. Most times we work at it while moving. The more "aggressive" our stance and movements are, the better the results as far as accuracy.

We practice that against 3 "opponents", at 7,10 and 15 yds at the same time, but haven't timed it. Most times we work at it while moving. The more "aggressive" our stance and movements are, the better the results as far as accuracy.

How quick would you guess you are? What do you mean by an aggressive stance?

Probably in the 8 to 9 second range for all 9 shots.

By aggressive, I mean turn and step towards each opponent in modified Weaver stance. Driving forward.

That's pretty fast!

I figured that's what you meant. I really need to work on my stance. If you have any links that might help please post them :D

Trying the drill with the little carry guns would require closer distances and more time to get it done when compared to something like my 5.25" Springfield.

I can imagine. I'd especially like to try it with my Ruger LCP.

I remember doing that WAY back in the day, told it was called the Mozambique because it came from a soldier shooting a terrorist at the Mozambique airport; first two rounds bounced off the terrorists bullet resistant vest, so the soldier had to head shoot him. Of course, that was the story they told us when introducing us to the technique back in the early 80s. Since then i haven't used it, as all my Dept training has been center of mass, but with the prevalence of armor, might be a good thing to practice again!

I remember doing that WAY back in the day, told it was called the Mozambique because it came from a soldier shooting a terrorist at the Mozambique airport; first two rounds bounced off the terrorists bullet resistant vest, so the soldier had to head shoot him. Of course, that was the story they told us when introducing us to the technique back in the early 80s. Since then i haven't used it, as all my Dept training has been center of mass, but with the prevalence of armor, might be a good thing to practice again!

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those things where it's a different story each time you hear it :D

I tend to merge previous martial arts training ideas with my shooting training ideas.

In martial arts we never once trained for just one single punch, thrown at us or by us.
Same thing with shooting.
I train for multiples.
When I shoot at a "target" it's with the idea that I'mn shooting it at multiple times in rapid succession.
Don't worry though..... I'm not doing any jumping and spinning shots. LOL
But I am following through.

That's pretty fast!

In my mind that's terribly slow.
There's no way you are going to engage 3 guys at the same time and take 9 seconds to do it without a very good chance of being shot yourself. Obviously the goal is to be quicker while still being accurate. It's going to take more work and a whole bunch more rounds down range.

I tend to merge previous martial arts training ideas with my shooting training ideas.

In martial arts we never once trained for just one single punch, thrown at us or by us.
Same thing with shooting.
I train for multiples.
When I shoot at a "target" it's with the idea that I'mn shooting it at multiple times in rapid succession.
Don't worry though..... I'm not doing any jumping and spinning shots. LOL
But I am following through.

It makes sense to train for the worst case scenario (3 or more guys vs 1).

In my mind that's terribly slow.
There's no way you are going to engage 3 guys at the same time and take 9 seconds to do it without a very good chance of being shot yourself. Obviously the goal is to be quicker while still being accurate. It's going to take more work and a whole bunch more rounds down range.

I just set a timer and you're right :confused:

I don't recall hearing the term "Mozambique" but we trained with this and the multiple aggressor drills. "Two to the chest and one to the head" to stop an armed subject... With multiples the idea was to get as many shots down-range as quickly as possible and point-shooting was faster than aimed usually. Three armed shooters? You are probably down anyway so take as many with you as possible was the idea... Keeping distance and cover between yourself and potential multiple aggressors was stressed.

Obviously with 3 attackers, you would probably aim high and hope 1 each did the trick. Gotta move though. Practicing standing still most likely isn't the best defense.

I need to remember this. I'm not sure I've ever done drills while moving.

That's pretty much the reason for training in the desert. About impossible to move at a range with lanes and other people. It changes it a bunch.

Yeah that makes sense. Outside of dedicated training facilities (fairly rare) I can't think of anywhere else to do that.

That's pretty fast!

I figured that's what you meant. I really need to work on my stance. If you have any links that might help please post them :D

This guy does a good job of demonstrating how your legs need to work to move at the same time. Obviously, it's more difficult on uneven terrain. We practice in the desert, so uneven is a given. LOL

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top