JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Charlie before you let your buddies shoot your steel make sure their gus have been sighted in on paper.Its very time consuming when they shoot your stands to get them fixed.Just from experience.

This is actually one of the rules for Rifle Golf, no second shots. It is pretty easy to see where you were off and correct for it. You're either hitting or walking to the next target, no mulligans.

Another great place to shoot competition is Ben Avery Shooting Facility. There are matches in just about every dicipline
My favorite are the Steel Challenge Matches hosted by 2 different clubs on the Second and Third Sunday of each month at the Practical Pistol Range. There are also USPSA matches the First Sunday and a Paper/Steel match every Thursday Night.

Bring your gun, ear and eye protection and a positive attitude and you will have lots of fun. Bring about 5 magazines for any gun you shoot in Steel Challenge.

Welcome to SWFA!!

When in a shooting competition , I have found , that for me , it is best if I only "compete" with myself...
That is simply trying to make my next shot , better than my last shot...
And not worry or wonder how the other folks are shooting.*
Andy
*Note:
In some Rendezvous shoots a bit of good natured heckling or such is expected , so there are exceptions.

When in a shooting competition , I have found , that for me , it is best if I only "compete" with myself...
That is simply trying to make my next shot , better than my last shot...
And not worry or wonder how the other folks are shooting.*
Andy
Words of Wisdom. I held off shooting at 600 yards for a long time because I did not want to compete. However I eventually overcame that and showed up to shoot after some friendly encouragement. You really are only competing with yourself but the group is happy to share experience if you want some. I recommend not waiting to plunge. I found that long range practice improved my application of ballistics, load development, and good shooting practices.
Every club is unique but I bet most shooters will be friendly and helpful

Never tried Long Range,did IDPA,3-Gun.Maybe Ill do it ,I have a Ruger precision 6.5CM
Your Ruger will do well if you have decent optics. The F class X ring is fairly small. The sling and open sight shooters will scoff of course but their target is bigger. You can use any scope but a 25X or higher optic comes in handy. I have a Thompson Center Long Range Rifle in 6.5CM and it did well at 600 yds. The key is to decide if you are shooting with a rest/bags and free recoil or with a bipod and some preloading. People can shoot well either way but you will need to decide what works best for you.

Y'all have gotten me interested in 600-yard competition shooting. The paid-dues club to which I belong has a single 600-yard gong. I think it's 24" in diameter. A man with good enough hearing can certainly hear the impact of his bullet. The problem at my range is that very few members if any (other than me) have rifles purposely built for hits at such a range. Most guys slave away at the 100-yard line against their own targets. 1200 yards is a long walk in Nevada's heat if long-range competition has the shooters going downrange to collect their targets after the match.

Boonies have their advantages, don't they?
I moved here from northern Virginia, around Winchester. There is no place an hour or so west of DC to shoot, save for Clark Brothers in Warrenton. Just 100 yards, though. And you have to buy your ammo there, or your handloads have to be loaded-up from components bought there. They close at 1600; there are still several hours of light left in the summer months and it's wasted. My job of driving a truck brought me out here in later Fall 2000. Once I saw these thousands upon thousands of wide-open acres with nary a No Trespassing sign, fence nor locked gate in sight, I had to move here. Took-up permanent residency in September 2004, and have loved it ever since. No desire whatsoever to move back to Virginia...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top