JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Arizona is a pretty gun-friendly state, consistently ranked at or near the top of lists of states with least-restrictive firearms laws.

Then why is the state Legislature occupied with so many separate bills dealing with guns? The topics include guns in public buildings, business gun-free zones, "smart" guns, privately selling guns and "rat shot."

Some of the bills continue to move forward, some not. Most of those liberalizing gun laws wins broad support, at least initially. Some, like the recurring bill to allow firearms in public buildings, die because of some very real potential consequences, including taxpayer cost.

Some have less to do with actual gun rights than the ongoing power struggle between the right-leaning Legislature and some cities. That tiff is why lawmakers spend time on things like grocery bags. With guns, the issue revolves around the rights of local government to issue its own firearms regulations.

Recent bills would prohibit local government from requiring background checks during private firearm sales and prohibit any mandatory "smart gun" ordinances. (Weapons that could be tracked or that could only be fired by its owner.)

Our View: Arizona should consider Iowa's broad approach to gun laws

As a resident of Iowa I was please with the recent passage of our new guns laws. I agree the approach to passage did resolved a number of issues. I hope all freedom loving Americans work toward similar laws in their state.

As a resident of Iowa I was please with the recent passage of our new guns laws. I agree the approach to passage did resolved a number of issues. I hope all freedom loving Americans work toward similar laws in their state.

I'm really hoping we can continue this momentum elsewhere. Congratulations!

Thank you, Iowa, appreciate your input...but we like it the way we are. As for being "pretty gun friendly", we have ranked number one on Guns and Ammo best states for firearms rights three years running, IIRC. ;) Congrats to Iowa for improving firearms freedom - when will you go Constitutional Carry? We did that in 2010, and the Wild West crime wave, of course, did not appear.

Not to sound like a jerk, but with all the Calirefugees and Chicago ex-pats living here, we Arizonans get tired of everyone else telling us how to do our business, even when offered in a positive manner. Of course, the afore mentioned ones do NOT do it in a positive or respectful manner at all, so we tend to get our backs up when we hear, "Arizona should do it like us!" Sorry.

I send texts to my leftist anti-gun relatives every single time I go out shooting. I get texts back about how offensive they think my behavior is. It's never stopped them from showing up for a free meal for the holidays!

Not to sound like a jerk, but with all the Calirefugees and Chicago ex-pats living here, we Arizonans get tired of everyone else telling us how to do our business, even when offered in a positive manner. Of course, the afore mentioned ones do NOT do it in a positive or respectful manner at all, so we tend to get our backs up when we hear, "Arizona should do it like us!" Sorry.
hey now, calirefugee right here. AZ resident since 99. i have fond memories of cali but I am not likely ever to move back. my username says it all. to be clear, i think calirefugee remark is funny. AZ on mine.

Thank you for moving in with a positive story - I've met too many who freak out at the sight of a lawfully open carried sidearm. Gets old, "You Wild West types need to be stopped and I'm going to DO that!"

Thank you for moving in with a positive story - I've met too many who freak out at the sight of a lawfully open carried sidearm. Gets old, "You Wild West types need to be stopped and I'm going to DO that!"

I really can't stand it when people move somewhere and immediately set to work trying to change it.

My next door neighbor is from Hong Kong.
One day after work - he noticed I had a gun holstered inside my jacket and all but freaked out.
"GUN?"
"YOU HAVE GUN?"
"WHY YOU HAVE GUN?"
.....as he was backing away from me as if I had it in my hand and was pointing it at him.

I explained to him that as a law-abiding citizen, this right to carry a firearm is one of my rights as guaranteed to me by the Constitution. He thought only Police and criminals had guns. (He obviously hasn't been here very long) Now he smiles every time he sees me instead of being scared of me. I can tell he really wants to come out shooting with us sometime. I keep offering, and he keeps making excuses, but I can tell he wants to! LOL

My meighbor across the street is anti-social. He's been living across the street from me for over a year now. If I walk across the street to talk to him - he walks into the house. He's not interested in talking to any of the neighbors. He keeps his yard up and the place is clean. I guess there's no reason to actually talk to him. I see him carrying his range bag and occasional rifle cases into and out of his pickup truck. He sees the same from me. Still no contact. At least he's not some anti-gun zealot from somewhere else!

I explained to him that as a law-abiding citizen, this right to carry a firearm is one of my rights as guaranteed to me by the Constitution. He thought only Police and criminals had guns. (He obviously hasn't been here very long) Now he smiles every time he sees me instead of being scared of me. I can tell he really wants to come out shooting with us sometime. I keep offering, and he keeps making excuses, but I can tell he wants to! LOL

Keep up the offers! This is the only way we'll win people to our side :)

its not uncommon where i live in salem/keizer, oregon to see someone open carrying. there are ALOT--i mean ALOOOOOTTTTT of people here who conceal carry too. makes no difference to me. more lead flying the same direction as mine when some thug tries to hurt me or my family or them or their family

naturally, people should not have to get permission to defend themselves in public.

I send texts to my leftist anti-gun relatives every single time I go out shooting. I get texts back about how offensive they think my behavior is. It's never stopped them from showing up for a free meal for the holidays!

Funny how lefties seem never to pass on a free meal or the opportunity to give away somebody elses' money.

My response to people who tell me they just move here from "The Workers' Paradise" of CA, MA, NY, etc..
Is always "WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!"

Really burns my cookies though when such refugees want to change our laws to mimic the place they fled from. How quickly they forget those laws made they're former home so unlivable they had to emmigrate. We have entire states for people who don't like guns. As far as I'm concerned they should stay there and wallow in their own pudding.
Same goes for those from other countries. If America is such a bad place WHY ARE YOU HERE????
Those who respect our customs and laws, who aspire to become productive citizens are highly welcome. We ARE a nation of immigrants. LEGAL ones.
If you aspire to turn this nation into the kind of third world pest hole you fled from you are a public menace and should be dealt with accordingly.
I speak in particular to professional jokers who've immigrated and made an exceptionally good living bad mouthing us. Oh yes, guns aren't allowed in your former country. That's what made it such a peace loving oasis from which you had to run for your life.

Peace Love and Ammo for All!

Funny how lefties seem never to pass on a free meal or the opportunity to give away somebody elses' money.

You've MET my relatives then haven't you..... LOL

I especially LOVE how they tell me I work too long and too hard for the things I have: "You'll be the richest guy in the cemetary" is one of their favorite lines. Then in the next breath ask if they can borrow some money because they got let go from yet another job AGAIN for being a lazy bubblegum that shows up late, calls out every chance they get, takes 32 smoke breaks a day and sneaks out early if nobody is looking..... while blaming the business owner for giving him a job and "getting RICH off our labor" while bragging that he doesn't do one thing more than is absolutely required or told to do. EVER.

I am personally proud of my self for not smashing the back window out of his car with it's "Obama/Biden" and "RESIST TRUMP" stickers on it.

You can pick your friends - but you can't pick your relatives.
Dammit.

You've MET my relatives then haven't you..... LOL

I especially LOVE how they tell me I work too long and too hard for the things I have: "You'll be the richest guy in the cemetary" is one of their favorite lines. Then in the next breath ask if they can borrow some money because they got let go from yet another job AGAIN for being a lazy bubblegum that shows up late, calls out every chance they get, takes 32 smoke breaks a day and sneaks out early if nobody is looking..... while blaming the business owner for giving him a job and "getting RICH off our labor" while bragging that he doesn't do one thing more than is absolutely required or told to do. EVER.

I am personally proud of my self for not smashing the back window out of his car with it's "Obama/Biden" and "RESIST TRUMP" stickers on it.

You can pick your friends - but you can't pick your relatives.
Dammit.

I believe we HAVE met, I'm almost certain they worked for me briefly. I might still be paying they're unemployment benefits for all we know.

Keep working hard good Sir, millions on welfare are depending upon you.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top