JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been doing occasional range trips with some old friends lately, and they kinda seem to mostly be stuck in the rut of just magdumping into the trash. Ammo is still kinda expensive compared to what it used to be, so I'm looking for other ideas to do.

Last time we went out, we ended up just squaring up, and doing reload and transition drills head to head. It was fun, and even I learned a few things (i.e. which way my mags face is the opposite of what I thought it should be) and a few things involved with transitioning between long tun and pistol. I suppose we could do mozambique drills the same way. Just looking for other ideas.

One of my favorite handgun drills is the El Presidente but we have the most fun running and gunning.

Set up same paper, steel and reactive targets. Then make a course out of pallets, old doors, whatever you have.

Also, make some dummy rounds and mix them with the ammo you are loading, so you have a semi-unexpected FTF somewhere along the way to deal with.

One time we set a series of paper plates on wooden stakes all along a deep dry wash. We then started at one end and worked our way through. Had to get at least 3 hits on each. If you got too close to one without shooting it or passed one without seeing it, you were dead.

The target locations were changed for each run by the non-shooter, so each time was different and the shooter had to methodically work his way through, staying behind cover and scanning for the enemy plates.

We dubbed it, Zombie Canyon

Also, if you don't already have one, get a shot timer and keep score.

Adding shoot/no shoot targets is also good. Use colors or objects to mark them, so they can be changed while the shooter has his back turned. When the timer buzzer sounds, you must turn, draw and engage the targets accordingly, as fast as you can.

We use a cardboard gun cutout for the threat targets and two hands up for the non-threat targets.

Allot of the time, we will put a threat target behind a non-threat target with only a bit of the one you want to shoot showing.

Last Edited:
Simple to start especially when it becomes challenging. Practice how you EDC.

Here is drill that seems easy but is good practice.
Setup a target 6-8" in diameter, at a distance of 10 yds or 21 feet. Have a defined 180 degree space for firing. If side by side, step forward a few steps to shoot.

1) Stand ready, weapon loaded, and holstered.

2): Draw, aim, shoot (5ish)v rounds, reload, step sideways 5ish feet, aim, fire.

3) Reload and holster the gun before turning or facing anyone. If you practice the 180 degree rule, it is easier to accept when you are at a range that requires it. With others around even in the open desert, there's nothing wrong with a little safety.

4) This can be part of a two gun drill. Where you shoot the rifle, carbine, or shotgun as extension of the pistol drill. Time for the truck guns to get a little practice time.

Visualize "what would a firearm encounter look like?" I say this because I'm interested in practicing this

Exciting to hear about your varied range sessions! Try timed accuracy challenges, engage multiple targets, and practice shooting from different positions for a well-rounded experience.

Experiment with shooting on the move and simulated malfunction drills to enhance skills.

Keeping things diverse improves overall proficiency. Happy shooting.

Two of you stand back to back, then each walk 20 paces in a straight line, turn 180* and draw….. er, no don't do that!

;):D

Maybe see if you can find a military surplus (or something like that) reactive pop-up/down silhouette target holder that'll run off a car battery.

Try using different targets like steel plates or reactive ones for better aim. Set time challenges to focus on accuracy, not just shooting a lot. Also, practice realistic situations to improve decision-making and tactical skills without using too much ammo.

I like this one. it focuses on a lot of concealed skills. And when you can shoot it well, step back a couple yards.

The wizard drill is more of a test than a drill. 2.5 seconds for each stage. it's for people that tell you "I've got this down" but don't.
It's deceptively simple. if you are smooth drawing from concealment 2.5 seconds is plenty, but if you rush it you will either pull a shot out of the target or go over time. if you pocket carry a small gun start with your hand on the gun. the accuracy with the small gun is its own time penalty!

These are fun in a group. The group adds pressure just like a timer!

DR

Last Edited:
A good idea is to get a vtac barricade, can make one very easy at home. Start using it for rifle / pistol. Really helped me understand height over bore and muzzle awareness on my duty guns. Also it's a good way to get a core workout. An afternoon of vtac 9 hole drills will get your abs thighs and arms burnin'

So I've been doing occasional range trips with some old friends lately, and they kinda seem to mostly be stuck in the rut of just magdumping into the trash. Ammo is still kinda expensive compared to what it used to be, so I'm looking for other ideas to do.

Last time we went out, we ended up just squaring up, and doing reload and transition drills head to head. It was fun, and even I learned a few things (i.e. which way my mags face is the opposite of what I thought it should be) and a few things involved with transitioning between long tun and pistol. I suppose we could do mozambique drills the same way. Just looking for other ideas.
What are you looking to train rifle? Pistol? Defensive tactics? Offensive tactics? Without knowing this it's fruitless to name random drills as each drill has a purpose and does not improve specific skills.

Set up some cones in a T shape. There should be 4 cones about 20 feet apart. Then put your target about 20 to 30 feet away from the T. Start at the bottom of the T. Fire 2 shots. Run up to the front middle cone. Fire 2 more. From here go either left or right. Say you choose left. Run left Fire 2 shots, run back to the middle top cone, Fire 2 more, run right, fire 2 more, run back to the middle, fire 2 more then run back to the bottom of the T. When you run back to the start just make sure you keep your muzzle down range, at least don't flag anyone. This entire drill focuses on movement, stress shooting, breath control, and only uses 14 shots to complete. Penalize as you miss. Try to get the best time. You can use either pistol or rifle for this drill. Just move your target back if you use rifle.

Last Edited:
Add variety to your range trips by trying precision shooting, different positions, tactical scenarios, and skills like dry firing, reloading, and weak-hand shooting to improve your skills without using too much ammo.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top