JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is a favorite rifle of mine.
It is a J.Henry Trade Rifle , circa 1800 or so...
.58 caliber , smooth bore...*
Maple stock with brass furniture...
Imported English lock...
* Some rifles were made with rifle style stocks , sights and furniture...but were intentionally made smooth bore , so these are known as "Smooth Rifles" in period accounts.

My rifle is a "Trade rifle" ..as in a rifle made for the Fur Trade.
It would have been used either for trade to a tribe in exchange for furs or used by a trapper or trader.
This rifle still shoots and goes out hunting at times...a few years ago , it got a elk , which in turn became my "buckskin" jacket.
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

I will have to check into that. They are not good at responding to emails I might have to go up the chain of command and rattle some cages! ;)
Maybe so...
When I give a hands on display of antique muzzleloaders ...it tends to draw a crowd...
'Cause how often do ya get a chance to actually handle a rifle from say 1800 and maybe shoot it as well...? :D
Andy

Andy, when you do another display like that up north will you let me know? I was trying to get to the last one but work had me out of town that week-end.
August 9th-11th at Greene's Gun Shop in Oak Harbor Wa...will be my next show...
We have a rendezvous there...on the 9th...I will be walking in with a group of guys ...
We will start at Bowman Bay , @8.00 am... walk through Deception Pass Park and up to Greene's...talking and giving a demonstration of muzzleloaders all in period clothing and gear...
I will be set up on the 8th of August...so drop by early if you want...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Prescott Valley, AZ
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top