JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is a favorite rifle of mine.
It is a J.Henry Trade Rifle , circa 1800 or so...
.58 caliber , smooth bore...*
Maple stock with brass furniture...
Imported English lock...
* Some rifles were made with rifle style stocks , sights and furniture...but were intentionally made smooth bore , so these are known as "Smooth Rifles" in period accounts.

My rifle is a "Trade rifle" ..as in a rifle made for the Fur Trade.
It would have been used either for trade to a tribe in exchange for furs or used by a trapper or trader.
This rifle still shoots and goes out hunting at times...a few years ago , it got a elk , which in turn became my "buckskin" jacket.
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

I will have to check into that. They are not good at responding to emails I might have to go up the chain of command and rattle some cages! ;)
Maybe so...
When I give a hands on display of antique muzzleloaders ...it tends to draw a crowd...
'Cause how often do ya get a chance to actually handle a rifle from say 1800 and maybe shoot it as well...? :D
Andy

Andy, when you do another display like that up north will you let me know? I was trying to get to the last one but work had me out of town that week-end.
August 9th-11th at Greene's Gun Shop in Oak Harbor Wa...will be my next show...
We have a rendezvous there...on the 9th...I will be walking in with a group of guys ...
We will start at Bowman Bay , @8.00 am... walk through Deception Pass Park and up to Greene's...talking and giving a demonstration of muzzleloaders all in period clothing and gear...
I will be set up on the 8th of August...so drop by early if you want...
Andy

New Resource Reviews

Back Top