JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hitting about were i want it in the last shots was to the right about 3 clicks
DSCN5771.JPG

Rifle shooting is not even interesting until it's over 500 yards.
I have a Zermatt Arms TL-3 short action that I will someday build into a 6.5mm rifle that can have its bullet hit a one-gallon milk jug at 1600 yards. At least that's the dream. The action presently has a .473" bolthead on it because I thought I'd shoot only 6.5 Creedmoor or similar ammo through it. Should I put a .532" bolthead on it so I can shoot 6.5mmWSM or 6.5PRC ammo? Would the greater case capacity of the WSM give me greater range versus the lesser erosion to the throat that I know the Creedmoor would return?

TL-3 action bolt handle.JPG

Last Edited:
I have a Zermatt Arms TL-3 short action that I will someday build into a 6.5mm rifle that can have its bullet hit a one-gallon milk jug at 1600 yards. At least that's the dream. The action presently has a .473" bolthead on it because I thought I'd shoot only 6.5 Creedmoor or similar ammo through it. Should I put a .532" bolthead on it so I can shoot 6.5mmWSM or 6.5PRC ammo? Would the greater case capacity of the WSM give me greater range versus the lesser erosion to the throat that I know the Creedmoor would return?
I go round and round with the 6.5's I used to think the 6.5CM was awesome, however as time has passed, I just can't find a good reason to get a 6.5 and put my .308's in the safe. (I actually have a reason for most of the guns I have, in that I use them to test ammo I develop) the 6.5 just doesn't pencil out.

That said, the PRC family of cartridges is something I'm interested in and excited about, that said, the 6.5PRC seems to wear barrels very quickly, the .300PRC doesn't seem to be as accurate as it probably should. I haven't checked into the 7mm PRC yet. I still thing for very long range (1K+) the magnums are really where you need to be. Some of these 180gr 7mm VLD bullets have a G7 BC greater than .4. When your TOF starts to get long enough that you can absorb heavy recoil, get back on the target in time to see splash, that's the real magic of long range.

1200 yards is too dam-ned far for me to walk to see how badly I missed the target. Kudos to those of you who can do that...
That is why I have this.

1695763247413.png

I go round and round with the 6.5's I used to think the 6.5CM was awesome, however as time has passed, I just can't find a good reason to get a 6.5 and put my .308's in the safe. (I actually have a reason for most of the guns I have, in that I use them to test ammo I develop) the 6.5 just doesn't pencil out.
.243 Winchester

Had a good post going about Sunky's SxS with regard to a former bartender bravo-itch from the Bronx, but hit the Mystery Key and it's gone. Was a long drive from SLC last night in high winds, rain and with an empty 53-foot trailer, so I'm plum-out of ambition to attempt to rewrite what was lost...

You should uninstall that "mystery key" o_O
I don't even know which one it is. I never learned to touch-type. I type with only my two index fingers, meaning I have three flopping around that could hit the Mystery Key at any second. I'm simultaneously looking at the keyboard and at the screen to check for errors, so I never see which key spells the heartbreaking doom for my posts. I'll just have to live with the inevitable losses. Life's too short and I'm too busy to get all bent out of shape over it...

New Resource Reviews

Back Top