JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was raised in Cali. My parents moved to Az when I was 19. i fit the old saying about young dumb and one other thing that escapes me at the moment lol. I moved my own family to AZ after realing i did not want to raise my kids in cali.
As for firearms, I've been a collector/trader/enthusiast since 93. Mainly, I liked pistols. learned quite a bit about glocks and over the years ive had several. figured out I like 40 caliber so my pistol of choice was Glock 23.
Didnt know much about rifle platforms (AR or AK) until a few years ago when the worry was the AR would soon not be available. Got a budget rifle but cost did not reflect quality in this case. my AR has been 100 % reliable in the 5 or 6 years that Ive had it. i just wish I had the skill to put a freefloat guard on it
got my first AK in January 2016. budget price and initially piece of crap. did some research on youtube found suggestions on how to resolve problems on my own. tried it with some success. instead of every 3rd round failing, i got up to every 5th round before having to drop mag clear chamber and start over. rifle was bad through first 300 rounds. after more research on youtube found a potential fix from manufacturer that some other owner used. contacted manufacturer, requested new bolt carrier. problem solved through 300 rounds since changing bolt carrier, not one failure.

Last Edited:
This time it worked! Welcome :)

Sounds like you made the right choice, not wanting to raise your kids in California. Can't go wrong with Glock's and AR's/AK's. I've never had an AK give me issues so I'm curious, was it just the bolt carrier?

This time it worked! Welcome :)

Sounds like you made the right choice, not wanting to raise your kids in California. Can't go wrong with Glock's and AR's/AK's. I've never had an AK give me issues so I'm curious, was it just the bolt carrier?
it was more. i believe manufacturer had process issues during build. they had buffer behind spring to help with who knows what. i put a wolf plus 10 spring in it as my own attempt to fix. that helped but did not solve problem. changing bolt carrier did. i saw more than a few videos about my AK requiring buffer to function. i took the buffer out when I changed bolt carrier. new plus 10 spring, new carrier, new furniture which i installed so I dont take close ups (lol) deleted buffer and voila...reliable AK

heres my wife shooting after all changes

Last Edited:
Was it a Century rework, also known as the ROMAK? Had a lot of troubles with those. Many AR rifles, even though cheaper nowadays than most handguns, are still quality rifles, but Century Arms International was NOTORIOUS for horrible rebuilds, picked up the well deserved nickname of "drunken monkeys."

Was it a Century rework, also known as the ROMAK? Had a lot of troubles with those. Many AR rifles, even though cheaper nowadays than most handguns, are still quality rifles, but Century Arms International was NOTORIOUS for horrible rebuilds, picked up the well deserved nickname of "drunken monkeys."
it was an i.o. inc i was just comparing replacement to original...scary thing is i could see no obvious difference aside from the company logo being more prominent.
i was hoping to see some difference between the two. my eyes are just not informed enough to tell if there are any differences at all. i'll post pics in a second

new
new io 1.jpg
new 2
new io 2.jpg
new 3
new io 3.jpg

It's kinda funny that CNC manufacturing has managed to make the AR-15 and it's derivatives not only higher quality than the AK, but they've also managed to build them in such quantity they're cheaper too.

Looking at the images, it looks like the carrier group on the IO is not even an investment, but possibly a sand-casting, with roughly zero finish machining (maybe the inside?) I remember my old Mak-90 Norinco the chinese who put it together spared nothing when it came to belt-grinding the carrier smooth. For an AK it actually shot really well. Kinda bummed I sold it a while ago, but hey, I hadn't shot the thing in a decade.

Ouch. That stings..but I understand..and the purchase was a learning moment for me. ...I have looked into various aks for next purchase and hopefully that ak will be much better out of the box

No offense intended! I'm almost certain that if I saw that gun new in the shop and it was priced right I'd pick it up without inspecting it. Bad habit of mine that I need to break.

No offense intended! I'm almost certain that if I saw that gun new in the shop and it was priced right I'd pick it up without inspecting it. Bad habit of mine that I need to break.
I appreciate the clarification. I wasn't too surprised by your comment. I meant to add some kinda smiley emoji but I'm on my phone and I'm not the best phone typer. And the price on that rifle did fool me: 535 plus tax. Under 600 out the door. In this case I got what I paid for.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top