JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, now that we have a section for all things Holy Black, here is my obsession! The Original Assault RIfle
51_0.jpg
This one is dated 1862 and is a Colt Patent Revolving rifle MK-IV in .44 cal!
I currently have 7 of these, all but two are originals, and one is a Non Shooter ( for now) but they are awesome to shoot and very accurate!
This one is the " Frontier Carbine" with a barrel length of 27 inches and a fast twist of 1/24" takes a conical bullet between 220 gr and 300 gr over 52 gr ( MAX) of 3F powder. It also is the rare Quick change cylinder version and I have 4 spare cylinders for it and all the moulds and tools! Best Combo of range and power is a 258 Gr Round nose solid ( Colt Mould #9) over the full 52 gr of 3F with a MV of 2470 FPS! Max range I can get out of it reliably is about 800 meters, and reliable kills around 300 if I do my part,, but would never take a shot like that under normal circumstances!
Will post up more pictures soon!

Last Edited:
Ok, More Colt goodness! A recently acquired cased pair that were restored, and thus hurt the value, hense my scoring what would have unobtanium otherwise! The smaller one is a Standard size .44 and the larger one is one of the ultra rare "Supers" that took the power levels up to about .45/70! 4883c.jpg

I usually shoot mine with a full charged cylinder, but then I know each of these rifles and know them to be safe!

If you can share some photos, we might be able to determine condition and "Shootability" and then I would just load a single with a small charge and see how it goes! a good 16 gr charge would be a good low pressure starting load under a round ball!
Would love to see it!:s0155:

Old field manuals recommended wearing wool long sleeves or making greavs! Yea the flame could burn you good if you di use the forend normal style. A lot of folks used their off hand to support the shooting hand and help hold the rifle in balance. It's pretty easy to do and the rifle isn't that heavy! SOme verisions had a much longer forend and as long as you had sleeves on, it wasn't bad at all.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top