JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel. It has been "deleted" to remove the DPF system as it became problematic. I got tired of being stranded 14 miles North of NoWhere and the dealer could not seem to fix the problem.

Here in Oregon diesel pickups are not tested for any emissions but I suspect that is changing.

Would some of you diesel pickup owners out there offer up some insight and experiences, good or bad, on emissions testing in the Phoenix Metro area? I'll be moving there soon and am wondering if I need to re-install the OEM DPF system.

Thanks!

20170705_090402.jpg

In the Phoenix area emissions tests are required, not in most of the rest of the state. You will have to see where the lines are for the area you are moving too. Good Luck.

Here in Oregon diesel pickups are not tested for any emissions but I suspect that is changing.
I was in the local McDonald's the other day with my usual 0800 crowd of gunslingers, alligator wrasslers, CIA agents and international raconteurs when one of them said that Kalifonia's brain-damaged emissions standards will come to Nevada in about five years. Won't matter too much to me 'cause I'll be dead by then, but it does bother me that the Liberty under which we live here will be even more eroded-away by some agency of morons in Washington DC. Might be by some agency of morons in Carson City doing it, but history has shown that Liberty lost is rarely ever regained. I'm just happy I'm in poor health and won't live long enough to see my great State turned into the sewer to my West...

I appreciate the comments so far.

I have looked at the map and am fairly certain I will be within the area where testing is required so I am looking for specifics on what that testing process is and what constitutes a Pass or Fail from that process.

SOB I didn't even think about this with my Dodge diesel. I have a 2007 and it has the air intake and custom exhaust on it. :oops:

Hopefully it will be fine when I move to AZ.
What part of AZ are you moving to SA Shooter?

SOB I didn't even think about this with my Dodge diesel. I have a 2007 and it has the air intake and custom exhaust on it. :oops:

Hopefully it will be fine when I move to AZ.
What part of AZ are you moving to SA Shooter?

We aren't quite sure yet what part of the Phoenix metro area we'll land in although we both seem to like the Fountain Hills and Apache Junction areas.

Your 2007 should be fine with those mods. I'm worried about mine as it is missing some of the emissions control gear and it is tuned. ;)

Vehicles that are 5 years old or newer are exempt from testing. This page may have answers to other questions you may have:

Since the DEF system is part of the emissions system, it will need to be hooked up when you do have to get it tested.

I see newer vehicles (less than 5 years old) are exempt from testing. Mine is a 2017 so I'm good for a couple of years.

I may take the truck back to the shop that did the mods and have them re-install the system and tune it with the DEF system in place before I head South.

We aren't quite sure yet what part of the Phoenix metro area we'll land in although we both seem to like the Fountain Hills and Apache Junction areas.

Your 2007 should be fine with those mods. I'm worried about mine as it is missing some of the emissions control gear and it is tuned. ;)

My next step is a tuner since I will be pulling a big goose neck trailer down to AZ when I move with all my reloading stuff and gun safes.

Emissions CURRENTLY in Arizona is not that big of a deal. They will inspect to see ALL of the equipment that was on it when it was made is on it and WORKING. I do not know about the diesel testing as I do not have one. My ecoboost they simply connection into the computer plug while is it running and their machine gets all of the data from the ECU in the vehicle.

Working pollution equipment is a subjective matter. Long ago I had a Datsun PU that had an air pump on it, took filtered air from the air cleaner and blew it onto the exhaust manifold. Seriously that is ALL that it did. I took the air pump apart and broke all of the vanes out of it and used the whole thing as a belt tightener for the ac compressor. When they inspected my truck they found the air pump and saw it was connected to the tubing like it was suppose to.
This truck was stamped on the door frame that it could use leaded gas. NO CAT on it. I was supposed to run unleaded gas, which I did not. It always passed the times I took it in. The testers are not mechanics. And they are in a semi hurry to get their 30 bucks and get you gone.

If you decide to do some mods and are willing to deal with their nonsense you can put a high compression 350 inside a 78 Jaguar XJ12 body and never pass emissions. Old buddy did that it was 3 or 4 appointments to the testing place in Phoenix every year to keep the license plates on it. Pretty sure he paid a higher inspection fee each time.

You will get the vehicle tested when you get Arizona plates on it. That is a requirement.

My next step is a tuner since I will be pulling a big goose neck trailer down to AZ when I move with all my reloading stuff and gun safes.
I have a 2006 Dodge Megacab 4X4 on 35" tires. I have a Cold Air Intake, 5" Magna Flow S/S Exhaust with a 6" Tip, and a SUPER CHIPS Programer. When I take it to Emissions, I just use the Programer to return to the Stock Settings. NEVER had an issue.
Also the Programer lets you recalibrate your Speedometer to compensate for the Larger Tires.
You can also Read and Delete Codes that come up on your on board computer.
Nothing is Hard Wired, so no Voided Warranty.

I have a 2006 Dodge Megacab 4X4 on 35" tires. I have a Cold Air Intake, 5" Magna Flow S/S Exhaust with a 6" Tip, and a SUPER CHIPS Programer. When I take it to Emissions, I just use the Programer to return to the Stock Settings. NEVER had an issue.
Also the Programer lets you recalibrate your Speedometer to compensate for the Larger Tires.

Yeah but you don't have a DPF system, either, so that process won't work on my 2017. If I revert mine to stock the check engine light will illuminate and the truck won't run as the DPF system has been removed.

I appreciate the input, though. My 2007 MegaCan didn't have the DPF system in it, it was tuned and I ran similar mods as yours. No problems whatsoever with that truck. The 2017 is an entirely different beast.

Im no help here, my Dodge is a 1st gen Cummins with no smog what so ever, and its very built, probably runs cleaner then the new stuff, and it never smokes! Lol
Rolling coal isnt possable, i ether spin the tires, or she takes off hard, even with the 5500 pound boat and trailer behind it!

You can register it outside of the emissions required area, you just need an address. You can still have the mailing address inside the emissions area.

This is something that I do not recommend at all. The tags for non emissions areas are a different color. If you get caught driving around on a regular basis in an emissions area with those tags, you will be hit with a fine and may also face a criminal charge.

Did you remove your CAT?

New Resource Reviews

Back Top