JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any recommendations for a small to midsize pickup? I'm not stuck on brand, but I want something reliable and economical. If that's a Tacoma, I'm cool with that. Any ideas of what would be good 2-3 years old these days?

Also, any recommendations for lockable bed covers?

I'd definitely recommend a Toyota! I've been a Toyota guy for nearly 20 years, you just can't kill them :)

When I was looking for a PU in '11. I checked every manufacture out there. Shockingly I found the smaller trucks did not get the best gas mileage. Might be different now. I ended up with a F150 with the ecoboost engine. Not sorry.
Everything out there has issues. Depends on your skill set if you want to deal with them. Toyota had the fly by wire issue which they seem to have overcome.
I knew I was not going to be pulling or hauling a lot often so I went with highway gears. 3.xx Less revolutions going down the road at a given speed. If I was going to be hauling or towing frequently I would have gone for some more like 4.xx
Even mine the '11 has enough electronics on it that it is impossible to work on
without a scan tool. Mine does not program but will let me clear codes. ($300)

I would visit enough car lots to see what I liked getting into and out of. Is the bed to high to put the groceries in from the side for example. Mine is.

Tailgate, there are some really cool tailgate assemblies out there. Some are like stairs, others open side to side, they seem to be called integrated tailgates on the web. If your going to be entering and exiting the bed a lot I would have one. None of these seem to be after market so far.

Economy. That is a tough one. How do you drive, where do you drive, what is in the vehicle daily. On and on. My ecoboost HATES winter gas, ethanol.
There are some interesting motors in the newer vehicles, 4's and 6's Ford is putting the baby brother of my ecoboost. If I was using the truck as a street pounder I would consider the engine. Cuts what you can tow and haul. I would stay away from a diesel. Unless I was hauling daily. Why pay more for everything for a sports car?
Some things you may have not considered.

Silverado 1500 standard cab short bed 4.3 six cylinder with a 5-speed if you drive sticks. Full size pick up comfort with 23 mpg and a powertrain that can easily go 200,000 miles with normal service . Snug Tops makes quality bed covers.

I had a Paragon topper on my truck. WOULD NOT recommend. It worked fine as long as I kept the truck as a pavement pounder. When I bought my land and had a 1/2 mile of gravel road to travel. The cover fell apart in less than a year. Paragons response was that it was 7 years old. My response was my drivers door gets more use and it is just fine. Not water proof which they now state clearly. Gaskets disappear in 4 years down here in the South West. It did cover the bed and was lockable. Choose wisely on a topper they are expensive IMO and mine did not last. Did not know that purchasing their product THEY expect you to readjust all of the parts and there are a plethora of them frequently.

I bought a Tacoma in 2017 and it is a great rig. 278 HP 4x4 and a small turning radius make it a perfect truck for me. It is really nice hunting because I can turn around just about anywhere. It also has a lot of ground clearance and I've driven it in some rough , steep terrain. It's not as fancy as some other rigs, but it will still be on the road 250,000 miles later.
Toyota.JPG

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top