JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Will a boresnake do a good job of cleaning the bore during the break-in process on a new gun? I have a fixed rod. I'd rather not fluctuate with it if a boresnake is just as good...

From my experience the bore snake is able to remove some of the carbon but can't keep up with a jag or brush with throw away patches. If you are using your bore snake to its fullest potential, you probably need to wash it or replace it often.

If you are looking for easy and quick cleaning, look into the Wipe Out bore foam combined with their "accelerator" chemical additive. It is popular with the benchrest crowd for quick cleaning at the range. The accelerator additive adds a chemical boost. Note it doesn't last very long. People have tried mixing the chemicals thinking it will simplify the process but it doesn't. Stick with the directions.

Bore snakes work well with rimfire rifles where there isn't as much copper to deal with.

For jags, I like something that doesn't react with copper solvents. BoreTech jags are built for this purpose but get expensive. Tipton has Ultimate jags that are half the cost. These jags won't put blue on the patches the way bronze or brass will. That way when you see blue it is coming from your barrel not your jag or brush.

Barrel break-in is a scam. This scam was perpetuated by custom rifle builders to sell more rifle barrels. This was confirmed by Gale McMillan. He did not start this trend but he was more than happy to tell rifle owners about it.

Whether you feel the need to break in a barrel or not doesn't mean no cleaning.
I usually clean a new barrel for the first 10 rounds where the majority of copper shows up.

Cleaning a barrel is a necessary chore that determines accuracy. How much How Often? that's a variable.

Something most people don't realize is you should really clean a new barrel before firing it.
Unless you prefer the random gouging that occurs from miscellaneous metal in the bore.

I shoot Brux barrels which are finished enough that break in isn't required though many barrels will speed up through the first 150 - 200 rounds.
Chronographs will confirm this. just means you need to tweak a load when a barrel has normalized.

I've always felt a bore-snake is fine for out in field if need be but if at home a rod & brush do a better job. Just my opinion, really nothing to back it up

New Resource Reviews

Back Top