JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This article appears to be UNDATED, but isn't this old news? Thought this happened a few months ago. The article says TODAY, but WHAT TODAY?

Pulled up the article itself, it says updated DEC. 18th, and that the ban will take effect 90 days from today by having all bump stock owners turn them in or destroy them by the end of March. After that they'll be regulated by the same laws for those covering machine guns.

I know there are gonna be a bunch of people who are going to disagree, but I cant think of one PRACTICAL reason for bump stocks, other than blow up bullets at a fast pace.

Yeah, Yeah, I know; I don't have any insight into the REAL REASON FOR BANNING THEM, but give me ONE NECESSARY REASON FOR THEM, other than I CAN, and DON'T TAKE MY RIGHTS AWAY!

This is my opinion, I am a 2A supporter, and have a broad assortment of firearms that I will use to take care of my interests, so you can save some of your rhetoric. All I'm asking for is a LEGITIMATE REASON for their use.

Last Edited:
So "legitimate" by your definition means what? We are living in a time of incredible attacks on many (or all even) of our god given rights. The encroachment on the 2nd amendment in relentless and just as you see no "legitimate" reason for a bump stock, others see no "legitimate" use for an AR-15.
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED means what to you?

Told ya, don't see a legitimate, or even NON-LEGITIMATE REASON YET. OR NECESSARY, reason either.

And there is a HUGE difference between an AR-15 and an accessory.

Again, my opinion.

Last I heard, a handgrip was okay to be mounted VERTICAL, BUT NOT HORIZONTAL. That makes no sense at all!

Infringed? whats being infringed? an unnecessary accessory that has no practical or necessary use?

Maybe the fight should be for something or point that has VALUE. What VALUE does a bump stock provide? The ability to waste bullets faster? Does it help in providing food for your family?

Hey, everyone has their own opinion, and they're entitled to it. And I'm not arguing any point.
I think I have a LEGITIMATE Question that I don't have an answer for

Last Edited:
I don't doubt that you feel it's a legitimate question. I feel from a technical standpoint that if they can ban bump stocks because they increase the rate of fire in a semi-auto, then by that same reason they can ban any device or part that by "their definition" increases the rate of fire beyond some arbitrary point. This could include any aftermarket part like trigger components, etc. And is the act of bump firing illegal? There are people that can mag dump by bump firing with no actual bump stock. A bump stock makes the process more controllable and with practice nearly as accurate as select fire and thereby safer.

Fine, but what is the necessary use of a bump stock? Making it shoot faster only provides a use if you're shooting at something more than paper, making holes in paper faster isn't really a necessity, at least in my opinion. It might make it expensive and maybe fun, but useful?

So what are you saying? I don't even want to paraphrase you because of the obvious implications.

So what you're saying is that there isn't any NECESSARY USE for a bump stock?

Point proven?

Last Edited:
Had this conversation recently. Personally I see no bloody use for them. I follow the principal said by a old friend of mine who belonged to a motorcycle club. "It is not about caliber it is how many times you can hit the target before it falls to the ground." Why not just license them as a Class 2 like a suppressor and let the fools that want the notirity keep them? Everyone wins.

Well, I started this by asking if there were ANY NECESSARY REASONS FOR A BUMP STOCK, not a philosophical question, just looking for a reason for them being anything more than a novelty and/or topic for conversation. I found an answer in an old article referencing the CREATOR of the item and President of SLIDE FIRE.

"
The Business of Guns
·October 4, 2017
Meet the Man Who Says He Invented the Bump Stock

Jeremiah Cottle said he made the first-ever bump stock in about two hours from a piece of wood and some metal.

The retired Air Force veteran had come home to his Central Texas farm to recover from a brain injury he received in the military, and he was looking for a way to pass the time, according to a 2011 news report.

"A friend and I were out shooting one day and we weren't able to fire as fast as we wanted. We couldn't afford what we wanted – a fully automatic rifle – so I started to think about how I could make something that would work and be affordable," Cottle told The Albany News, a small, weekly newspaper in Texas.

Until this week, the accessory Cottle says he invented to help people fire their semiautomatic rifles more rapidly was little-known outside the gun world — and even among firearm enthusiasts, it had a reputation as a niche product that doesn't serve much practical purpose. But then 12 bump stocks were found attached to semiautomatic rifles in the Las Vegas hotel room of the deadliest mass shooter in American history.

A bump-fire stock is a device that harnesses the recoil of a semiautomatic firearm to allow a shooter to fire shots in quick succession, mimicking automatic gunfire.

An analysis by the New York Times of the sound of the gunfire, along with videos taken by eyewitnesses, indicate that the shooter was achieving rates of automatic-rifle fire.

Fully automatic rifles are heavily regulated and can cost thousands of dollars to acquire. Bump stocks, which are manufactured by Slide Fire Solutions Inc. and at least one other company, retail for about $100. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has determined that the devices aren't subject to regulation, and as a result, there are few restrictions on who can buy or sell the devices.

Cottle is the president of the company, which is based in the town of Moran, according to tax documents provided by the Texas State Comptroller."

Sometimes its just smarter to pick your fights. This niche product may not be the one to fight over!

Last Edited:
Don't have or want a bump stock. If I owned one I'd be pretty pissed that something that was legal yesterday is illegal today and if I don't get rid of it somehow, I become a felon. Add to that I'm not being compensated for my loss. Point is that if this passes by then what's the next accessory that gets made illegal? Erosion of our 2A rights, one little piece at a time. Really disappointed in Trump on this one.

yep some will be out as much as 300 bucks.there are quit a few lawsuits at the moment so dont give up hope just yet.like belevolk said let buy a tax stamp if they have to have them.the orig letter from the atf saying they were ok is the nail in there coffin.next will be arm braces and ar pistols jf they get away with this.puck them.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top