JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys. My para 1911 really doesn't like hollowpoints and that's not really anything new. But what is new is this wierd thing that's been happening when I try to chamber a round. Its doing a 3 point jam and locking up so tight I nearly have to get a punch and a mallet to get the round free. And the projectile was pushed so far back into the case the rounds im trying to chamber are now trash. The ammo I was carrying and using was critical defense with the xtp tips. I took some pictures of the jam from the side and the top so you can see the extractor. Any insight or advice would be appreciated. This has not been an issue ever before with these specific rounds and the gun is not in bad shape by any means. It is very clean and i went to chamber a round for carry and this happened out of the blue. I may just carry fmj honestly. It's a .45. Also sorry for the darkness in the picture. I took it in my car and it's midnight right now. I work nights lol.

20230715_235715.jpg 20230715_235711.jpg 20230715_235705.jpg

I've found these type of Jams are either ammo related or Magazine . Held a class 10 FFL manufacturers license . Worked with the Smith and we had jamming weapons often. Found this vid for you as well . Might help .

If you haven't already done so, I would check the magazine, maybe it's not sitting all the way in, maybe the feed lips are bent or worn. Usually a problem at this stage is magazine, and you should have another one. If it still exhibits the issue I would double check the mag well and make sure there's not something keeping the mag from sitting normally (on the catch, but otherwise slightly loose).

Next steps would be checking your barrel linkage and takedown pins for wear.

Also, it looks like the round is getting caught with the rim below the base of the slide, So perhaps the slide isn't moving all the way back and when you drop the action it's able to drag a cartridge out of the mag, but since it's not in the correct position it jams.

Either way, I suppose the last thing you could do is slather it with peanut butter and put it in between some bread.

I am a Bonn Maman blackberry preserves kinda guy... really good stuff!

As for the Para that won't feed - I urge you to take the pistol to a pro before you spend lots of time trying to become an overnight gunsmith... In my humble opinion - every 1911 requires high quality magazines (all my magazine are Wilson (carry) and Chip McCormik Shooting Star) and a professional feed job done by a professional gunsmith that makes it look as easy as pie, before you try it yourself and waste your pistol.

Sure, I can do feed jobs now, after watching Nelson do a hundred of them and after receiving his guidance - but I cannot do one as fast as he can, nor can I diagnose a 1911 as fast as he can.

My first 1911 was a Springfield that I bought in 1991 - it had feed problems and that was how I met Nelson. I took the pistol to him, he did a feed job, installed a match trigger (back in those days it was a necessity) and did a trigger job (3.5-lbs crisp), and that pistol literally never failed me once in thousands of rounds - no matter what I fed it - 200g lead semi-wadcutter reloads, 220g Federal HydraShoks (carry - and still my only carry round), 220g FMJ - everything, every time.

Good luck!

This is that old pistol (note the Wilson magazine...):

IMG-1841.jpg

Last Edited:
Lube may very well be the issue, why not lube it up and try it again
I wrote this because when I was an ffl, I once sold a used Beretta Tomcat. The buyer brought the gun back inside of a week and insisted that I had sold him a lemon and further, that he had much experience with guns. I mailed the Tomcat to Beretta, USA and they said all it was lacking was lubrication...

Lots of people have lots of lubes. I like Triflow, does not attract dirt. Originally make fro racing bike chains. My AR10 prefers to be wet when shooting.
Triflow solved my problems with the AR10 and all rest of the metal to metal situations I have in my home. 2 drops in the front door lock and I am good for close to a year.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up lubricating it with ATF+4 and it seems to have worked. I assume the excess heat in the valley had dried it out prematurely. As far as lube goes. I have hopps 9 oil but rarely use it. My go to is either ATF+4 or some multi duty complex grease. living in the desert with how hot it gets here I use thicker lubricants. My cleaner of choice is Ed's red. It's cheap and very effective

If I wanted a 1911 carry pistol that I could reasonably be sure would function reliably during high stress circumstances, I would buy a Les Baer 1911 Premier II 5" - or buy a Springfield 1911 and send it to a 1911 gunsmith of known reputation.

Everyone thinks they can shoot under duress until the first time it happens. In such circumstance the last thing you need is a pistol you are unsure of, and even then you should practice clearing failures.

Lastly, the only pistol that I have ever owned that cycled every single round that I have ever fired through it - to include 500-rounds of various factory ammunition during the 2-weeks immediately following the purchase of, is my HK USP Compact 45. This includes various SIG's, Kimber's and S&W 45's. That HK is a work of engineering art. I have a Glock 36 I carry when I want to go light that has also cycled everything I ever fired through it but the caveat with that pistol is that I have only fired 230g Federal Hydra-Shoks and CorBon 45 Auto +P 230gr Self-Defense JHP's through it - but the Hydra-Shoks are what it is always always loaded with.

Of course, you could always adopt the hood philosophy, buy a high capacity 9mm high Glock, close your eyes and spray & pray, and pray the other guy misses.

Last Edited:
Omg I think I've solved it. It had/has nothing to do with the feed ramps at all. I did alot more then just a field strip of the slide. I took out the firing pin, the firing pin block (its a series 80) and the extractor. The extractor was coated in quite a bit of junk so I cleaned and lubed everything. Let it all sit then wiped it dry. I reassembled then tried again. Now it's loading very smooth. And I got it loading open tipped hollow points like butter. I very much believe the gunk bits on the extractor was causing too much friction/tension on it and causing too much tension for the slide spring to push the round in

New Resource Reviews

Back Top