JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Air gun people,
I am looking for a suggestion or two. I have owned a FW45 and a few others in the past. Now I am looking for a good quality air gun for backyard practice and possibly some local vermin-roof rats and such. Not looking for CO2 or pre charged (at least I do not think so. And I shoot lefty.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Wish I knew something about air rifles. I'm lefthanded, too. Am thinking that because there is no ejected case, the stocks will be very much like those on hunting rifles that have no cheekpiece. Is there any concern that offers individual parts, such that a man could assemble his own rifle from parts chosen from a multiplicity of sources? I think such a thing would be awesome. A man could assemble an air rifle to his exact desires just as we who burn nitrocellulose pick and choose the parts for our custom rifles.

I have an Umarex Octane and love it. I pop a lot of rabbits, birds and ground squirrels with it. It's a break barrel and very accurate with the right pellets. It comes with an ok scope.

Thanks for the hint on the Octane. Seems an older gun, some searches show it out of stock.
I was impressed at the speed, 1450.
For those that want to know
Approved species for airgun hunting in Arizona *

• Badger .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Bighorn Sheep .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Bison .40 caliber and larger, PCP only capable of generating 500 foot pounds of energy at muzzle.
  • Black Bear .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Blue Grouse
  • Bobcat .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Cottontail Rabbit
  • Coues Deer .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Coyote .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Elk .40 caliber and larger, PCP only capable of generating 500 foot pounds of energy at muzzle.
  • Fox .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Furbearers .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Javelina .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Mountain Lion .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Mule Deer .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Pheasant
  • Predators .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Pronghorn Antelope
  • Quail
  • Raccoon .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Reptiles
  • Ringtailed Cat .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Skunk .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Squirrel
  • Tree Squirrel
  • Turkey Arrow shooting airguns, PCP only. Arrows or air bolts with broadheads only.
  • Weasel .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Whitetail Deer .35 caliber or larger and PCP

PCP === Pre charged pneumatic

I wouldn't go after a Mountain Lion or a Black Bear with an airgun. What if you needed a second shot in about the time it would take to bring another metallic cartridge into battery? Maybe that's the challenge of airgun hunting...

Thanks for the hint on the Octane. Seems an older gun, some searches show it out of stock.
I was impressed at the speed, 1450.
For those that want to know
Approved species for airgun hunting in Arizona *

• Badger .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Bighorn Sheep .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Bison .40 caliber and larger, PCP only capable of generating 500 foot pounds of energy at muzzle.
  • Black Bear .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Blue Grouse
  • Bobcat .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Cottontail Rabbit
  • Coues Deer .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Coyote .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Elk .40 caliber and larger, PCP only capable of generating 500 foot pounds of energy at muzzle.
  • Fox .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Furbearers .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Javelina .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Mountain Lion .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Mule Deer .35 caliber or larger and PCP
  • Pheasant
  • Predators .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Pronghorn Antelope
  • Quail
  • Raccoon .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Reptiles
  • Ringtailed Cat .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Skunk .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Squirrel
  • Tree Squirrel
  • Turkey Arrow shooting airguns, PCP only. Arrows or air bolts with broadheads only.
  • Weasel .22 caliber and larger and PCP
  • Whitetail Deer .35 caliber or larger and PCP

PCP === Pre charged pneumatic
I've had my Octane for several years now. I'm sure it's either been upgraded and called something else or it's out of production.

I wouldn't go after a Mountain Lion or a Black Bear with an airgun. What if you needed a second shot in about the time it would take to bring another metallic cartridge into battery? Maybe that's the challenge of airgun hunting...
I believe you will notice, Large animal hunting requires a, "PCP" Rifle. Most of these are magazine fed and operate as a bolt action, allowing follow up shots. Personally I would use my .458S

For, "Tree Rats" and small varmints, I use a .22 GAMO Swarm, Magazine fed break barrel. It's accurate and hard hitting.

Last Edited:
I have about 100 shots before I have to reload my air, and 30 round to 10 round mags...

16059036211205199965106448545378.jpg 16059036446018753820575798839482.jpg

My wife got me into the PCP guns a couple of years ago (I want one) I would have never imagined what they were capable of. We now have two, her .17 and my .22. I use it for pest control around the house (About 7 acres) and I use a 3 stage tire pump to put air in them. They are expensive but very accurate and quiet for practice. Some of the lesser-priced will work for what I use them for, but I let her pick what she wanted and I did the same. I tested up through .45 caliber rifles before going with .22 Cal.

Quiet for a PCP gun? Sure would like to see the specs on your equipment. The biggest reason I do not have one is the noise. I have not looked at them in a year or so. When I did the ones I saw were just as loud as a .22 sans suppressor.
Often wondered, do you use a air dryer on the compressor? Compressing air does dry it out so the moisture has to go somewhere.

I must say, JeffnAZfrmNY, your air rifles look like the "weapons of war" the Criminal Left so vehemently abhor. You'll be required to surrender those to that dingbat Mark Kelly when the schmekel takes office...

lol na air rifles are just BB guns to those idiots, I doubt they even know they shoot the same size bullet and dam near as fast as the "real" thing. I love plinking in the backyard, in the middle of the city!

RWS makes excellent pellet guns.
I have had one for over 10 years and it is still as powerful as it was when I purchased it.
They are a little more pricey than others , but I believe you get what you pay for.

You really should look at the Benjamin Marauder PCP line.
Not only are they exceptionally accurate, but also extremely quiet right out of the box.
I have 2, and can honestly say that they are quieter than a springer rifle, and I have no problem dropping gophers at 75 yards.
They come in .177,.22, and .25 caliber.
Downside is they are a PITA to refill unless you have a compressor designed for PCP use, otherwise the hand pump is a real workout.
And yeah, they aren't cheap as compared to some air guns.

Both these have 10 round rotary magazines.

ixWRrmY.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top