Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up today!

Home made Matchlock

Reactions
Granted, I didn't follow any particular style and the metal parts, (except for the barrel) are aluminum.
Being an AR guy, I wasn't very serious when I started the build, so I just used whatever I had in my garage.
Now I have to find somewhere to try it, as no one wants me at their indoor range.

View attachment 3337View attachment 3338
Now THAT is cool! it also shows that a little skill and determination goes a LONG WAY!
Well done sir!

OP
Capn Jack
Reactions
It works ! I got to fire several off hand shots at a friends house. It was a little unnerving pulling the trigger, then waiting for the , "Flash! Bang! I flinched big time, but if had been an elephant, I would have hit it .......and promptly been stepped on.

Not much of a group. 12" ctr.> ctr. at 15 yds. with 50gr. of FFG and a patched 5/8" glass marble.
But, it worked.....Next time I'll try a rest.
First test-2.jpg

OP
Capn Jack
Reactions
Here is my first, "off the bench" target. The first shot hit in the throat and is on video, but it says it's too long to load..

Only 15 yards, but still not a bad group for patched marbles out of a smoothbore a? I was having a lot of ignition
trouble with FFG in the pan. Next time out, I'll try some 3F, or 4F, and see if the finer powder is more reliable.

I've watched the video several times and I still can't believe I reached over the flash pan with my left hand to adjust the
wick with the safety cover open. Dam! That's an accident waiting to happen if there's a hang fire.

When I got home, I also filled the rear sight opening with solder and re-cut a narrower slot in it to help improve the
sight picture.
Musket Target.jpg

UPCOMING EVENTS

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Arizona State Fairgrounds
1826 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85007, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• American Guns & Ammo
    5.00 star(s)
    This is a great place to shop. The staff is friendly and they will treat you right. Al (the...
    • 1971Chevelle
  • Sportsman's Warehouse - Tucson
    5.00 star(s)
    I bought a Win M70 Safari Express here 2 years ago after an uphill search online The lady who...
    • MichaelTQS
  • Northwest Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    This is my local gun store of choice , family owned and operated , friendly and knowledgeable...
    • JOE TRUMP
  • Glock 38
    4.00 star(s)
    This is a great little gun, often sold at a discount due to lack of popularity, a handloader's...
    • Cliph
  • Glock 19
    4.00 star(s)
    Likely the most popular handgun in the world and an excellent combat pistol.
    • Cliph