JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mid June I was at one of my favorite LGS' and the guy who worked there kinda bullied me into an Aero LR-308 lower. I didn't protest that hard, I was more just kinda in a hurry. Anyways, Arftac was having a sale on Aero parts, and I scored an upper for <$500

I don't know why, but it seems like LR-308 stuff just doesn't come together as easily as AR-15 stuff does, and that price didn't include BCG or CH.

I generally really like getting stuff as a matched set, but that just wasn't available here.

Anyways, I want to sanity check a few things for anyone who's ever done one before:

It will use standard CAR-15 buffer tubes, but requires a LR-308 buffer that's shorter than normal? Anyone have a brand of buffer they recommend? I'm using a mil-spec stock tube. I'm going to put a magpul fixed carbine stock on it (I've decided I like these after running one on my SPR).

I'm just going to buy an Aero (or Ballistic Advantage) BCG

As for the LPK, again, I am going Aero. I was looking for the one without the trigger or grip, as I have a magpul K2, and I have a drop in trigger pack.

Muzzle device is going to be swapped out for a Breek Arms Brake with blast deflector.

Anything I'm forgetting?

My preferred buffers are the Armaspec SRS (Stealth Recoil Spring) units. I have them in several rifles and they are good.

As far as a muzzle device, if you go with a Silencerco suppressor, then I always use the Silencerco ASR muzzle brake.

The muzzle device for suppressor compatibility will depend on which brand of suppressor you choose. If you go with Dead Air, then this is the one
I use:

Last Edited:
My preferred buffers are the Armaspec SRS (Stealth Recoil Spring) units. I have them in several rifles and they are good.

As far as a muzzle device, if you go with a Silencerco suppressor, then I always use the Silencerco ASR muzzle brake.

The muzzle device for suppressor compatibility will depend on which brand of suppressor you choose. If you go with Dead Air, then this is the one
I use:

I took a look at what it would cost to put some of the conventional muzzle device adapters on all of the guns I would want to have suppressors available for, instead I looked around until I found a cheap muzzle device that met my requirements that I could machine 1-3/8x24 Plan-B thread adapters for. Breek adapters are about $30. None of the suppressors are mine, they're all the company's this was the cheaper solution if later I move to something different I'm not thousands of dollars into muzzle devices.

Every time I turn around, it seems like this project is another $100. Still setting aside cash for the optic. I'll be honest, I wasn't planning on shooting this thing much, that's going to be a serious reality when it comes to paying off the credit card bills...

Every time I turn around, it seems like this project is another $100. . .
I built an AR handgun that was the same way. I think I spent about $1100 on it. The stock is by KAK or something similar. I didn't want one of the ubiquitous "Sharkfin" devices that are seen far too often on AR-type handguns. The KAK was expensive, but I paid the price so that my gun wouldn't look the next guy's three benches down. We don't shoot at ranges here in northern Nevada. We just go out into the desert, find a nice place, set up our gear and start blastin'! That's why I moved from Winchester, VA to my little Nevada town in Fall 2004: To have a million acres upon which to shoot with no fences, gates, locks or No Trespassing signs to ruin the Freedom in the desert.

AR-15 handgun - small.JPG sharkfin pistol stock.JPG

Last Edited:
First time I took mine out, none would work worth a damn. I swapped bolt carriers around and finally wound up with two working rifles. The last one cost the most to get working & then it's an unwieldy gun at best. A Cetme with a fully loaded 50 rd mag is more graceful

New Resource Reviews

Back Top