JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a chance to shoot at a 500 meter range with a co-worker not too long ago and now I'm hooked. I'm trying to work the rifle and myself out to the 1000 yard range not to far from me. Thanks for all the wealth of knowledge on the site.

Welcome aboard. Shooting the 1000yd challenge becomes a vacuum for money lol. It's thrilling to connect on distant targets but quickly gear, ammo and barrels start adding up. Like anything in shooting everything is more expensive. But, the number of people who can reliably hit at that range is still extremely small compared to the number of rifle owners out there. Good luck man, it is exciting!

Welcome aboard. Shooting the 1000yd challenge becomes a vacuum for money lol. It's thrilling to connect on distant targets but quickly gear, ammo and barrels start adding up. Like anything in shooting everything is more expensive. But, the number of people who can reliably hit at that range is still extremely small compared to the number of rifle owners out there. Good luck man, it is exciting!
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm excited for the 1000yd challenge despite its high costs, and I'm looking forward to learning from experienced shooters like you.

One the biggest hurdles new long range shooters need to over come is learning and understanding ballistics. You need to know your velocity from your rifle every new event. Have ballistic software profiles. Reading and understanding wind, your scopes reticle and learning to "see your shot". That is crucial to correction. If you cannot see your shot then you have no idea of what error to account for. Even a good spotter is only so good, you need to see it yourself. You'll see guys before every match shooting to get their dope which you think would be the same but it changes with conditions every time. It's kind of a gear intensive up front investment to get what's needed to accomplish these tasks but without it you're just burning money for nothing.

I enjoyed the slippery slope of transitioning from 300yards to 600 yards with my Rem40xB 243. Exposure to the other shooters convinced me to get a defiance action, brux barrel 6.5cm, Single shot, custom laminated stock, brass annealer, autotrickler and a couple of chronographs.

You get to benefit from all that because the best chrono on the market just popped up from Garmin and works from bb guns, arrows, to pistols, and really really fast rifle rounds. With velocity, you can plot everything else. My best score was 2000 120x for a 10 round season. Now I try to shoot more of everything else and just a little F-Class/Benchrest. Pistol skills are needed given current trends.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top