JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Marana school district reprimands principal for unauthorized drill

I encourage everyone to send a note of support to Nancy Paddock and a note of contempt to the superintendent of schools Dr. Wilson, I have.
Staff Directory / Staff Directory link is the staff directory, take awhile to find, I made it easy, PLEASE send notes. The reactionary bozos need to get their chain yanked.

Nancy is thinking outside the box and has her charges best interest at heart. I am all for unplanned drills you get to learn all of the weaknesses. This is a serious subject and every school in the USA should be having these drills, along with the emergency responders.

Sorry Belevolk, but to call an 'active' shooting drill w/o appropriate notification of those in upper administration as well as those community responders is totally irresponsible and could have gotten someone hurt or seriously injured or killed; either first responders, or educators, or parent, or a child.

In normal reactions LE, EMS, Staff, Administrative, and Students do not react appropriately and accidents could happen! Contemplate LE's with high powered loaded guns in heighten fear anxiety situation as you are visiting the school forgot you were OC/CC stop in the parking lot to put it into the locked case you carry to secure your firearm in when away from the vehicle - LE(s) sees a firearm and 'could react first' instead of hollar'g commands to cease, get on the ground NOW and so forth, and your child could be missing a caregiver!

Think about Parents hearing about the 'incident' and 'screaming' to their offspring's school while failing to obey traffic signals and having a horrific traffic accident causing injury to an innocent bystander, or to the student's parent?

Said LoReprimand given, sorry immediate termination is a far better resolution to those who, in a position of power, act in this type of irresponsible behaviour.

Finally, next time there is a real active shooter...will dispatch react with the same intensity based on the last false call?

Investigating a bit farther instead of jumping to conclusions, "Only teachers and staff were at the school, Gladden Farms Elementary, at the time. " "No one was injured during the drill and there were no calls to 911."
From what I read this was an internal drill.

Investigating a bit farther instead of jumping to conclusions, "Only teachers and staff were at the school, Gladden Farms Elementary, at the time. " "No one was injured during the drill and there were no calls to 911."
From what I read this was an internal drill.

Hummm, Belevolk, let's see..from your cited article, quote
1. ...catching police and some administrators by surprise.
2. ...during a staff meeting...
3. ...unauthorized active shooter drill...
Unquote.

Now, Belevolk, as to jumping to conclusion(s) while I am quite prolific at many things, but must profess mind reading is not a skill i have yet mastered, so I am personally not sure where your extraneous quoted commentary, bolded, italicized, and underlined above in your copied post came from, especially since it certainly not in your initial post or the cited article you referenced?

BTW, if the 'unauthorized active shooting drill' caught the police by surprise, as stated in your cited article, minimal critical thinking skills would lead most to believe the local constabulary was notified?

Further, imagine you are a sr director and your subordinate manager sat down in your staff meeting and somehow activated the fire alarm or surreptitiously notified the front security desk there was an armed intruder on the floor your staff meeting was held on?

Think a LoR would suffice?

I guess this school district wants the next active shooter to give them some heads-up time before he actually begins shooting. You're not "ready" if you know something's coming. You're ready if you know the threat is out there, but just not on your doorstep right now. To quote some wizened sage whose name I do not recall: "The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance."

I guess this school district wants the next active shooter to give them some heads-up time before he actually begins shooting. You're not "ready" if you know something's coming. You're ready if you know the threat is out there, but just not on your doorstep right now. To quote some wizened sage whose name I do not recall: "The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance."

Humm, pray tell which forgotten but wizen sage are you misquoting?

Jefferson is often attributed with, 'Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty' but nothing in his papers, writings, or annotation(s) shows he made this statement.

Then, in1770 the following words were apparently first used by John Philpot Curran in his speech upon his election as Lord Mayor of Dublin:
"The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance."

Then Wendel Phillips, in an address before the Massachusetts Anti Slavery Society in 1852 said:
"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty"

As for your commementary, there is a modest grain of truth, but in the current feeding frenzy of over reaction by LE swat gansters in response to a threat verses a complete lack of observational awareness as well as appropriate response to causal factors preceding such an event your truth is actually quite minuscule.

Wild hare, you will argue and postulate about any and everything to support whatever point you've just tried to make. I guess you have nothing better to do than check Wikipedia all day.

Back to the ignore list for you!

Wild hare, you will argue and postulate about any and everything to support whatever point you've just tried to make. I guess you have nothing better to do than check Wikipedia all day.

Back to the ignore list for you!

Ah targetshooter, how pleasant to see your significent contribution(s) to this thread, they were most helpful.

It's kinda like a fire drill, If you know its coming it doesn't really test the reactions to the threat.

"Irresponsible without at the very least advising the Marana P.D and PCSO.May find the weaknesses but 1St repsonders coming code 3 to the call could be killed in an accident.

And a plane could have fallen from the sky as well. At least this administrator was being proactive in providing for the safety of the students. The Supt. should have required all the schools in his district to conduct this type of drill rather than wait for the unthinkable to happen and not know how to respond. With all the hysteria around school shootings, which has now been debunked as wildly over reported (seems that the administrative staff couldn't fill out a questionnaire properly) they should be all over campus safety.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top