JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

I've been in Arizona about a year, retiring from Commifornia. I have a question about carrying a pistol for protection inside of a regional park here. I live near the White Tank Mountain Regional Park, and I do have a AZ concealed carry permit. I have purchased an HK VP9 (not even legal to have in Commifornia) but to tell the truth, it wouldn't be well concealed for me since I'm a smaller person with a full sized pistol. I'm thinking of getting a smaller pistol, but I'm still shopping. What I'm asking is this: Everyone will know that I have it if I hook it on my belt, so I want to know if it's legal for me to carry it within the park while hiking around? Anyone know? Of course, none of this would even matter at all in California..... I'd probably even be stoned to death for asking....... Liberals there are SO peace/love.... unless you disagree with them!

Thanks in advance for any information!
Les.

HERE'S SOME GUIDANCE FOR YOU:

"Is it Legal to Carry a firearm in Arizona State and Local Parks or National Forests? "
Carrying a firearm inside any AZ State Park is building is restricted per ARS 13-3102. Carrying a firearm outdoors in a State Park is permissible; however, a Park Ranger may make a reasonable request to remove a firearm if he or she believes that the person carrying the firearm poses a danger or threat to others lawfully present. All other prohibitions against discharging firearms apply.
ARS 13-3108 prohibits cities and counties from banning firearms in parks. Therefore, depending on your age, you may carry open or concealed in local parks. All other prohibitions against discharging firearms apply.
While visiting National Forests in Arizona, you may carry a firearm in compliance with state laws. However, in addition to state laws, you must comply with Federal Regulations pertaining to the use of a firearm on National Forest System lands.
A firearm may not be discharged in the following National Forest areas:
1. Within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; or 2. Across or on a Forest Development road or an adjacent body of water, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge; or 3. Into or within any cave. [36 CFR 261.10 (d)]

HERE'S SOME ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

"If I'm traveling through Arizona with a firearm, can I have it in my vehicle? "
Generally speaking, yes. However, it also depends on your age and mode of carry inside the vehicle. For example, Arizona's "Constitutional Carry" law (est. July 29, 2010) allows any citizen who can legally own/purchase a firearm and is 21 years or older to carry it loaded and concealed on their person without any type of permit or license anywhere inside the vehicle.
For citizens 18-20 years old, the law is different. It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed within the immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation if under 21 years of age. Firearms carried in a vehicle shall be transported in a case, a holster or scabbard, a storage compartment, trunk, pack, luggage, or glove compartment of a means of transportation.
A.R.S. §13-3102 permits citizens 18-20 years old to store a firearm in a vehicle provided the firearm is inside a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage, or is located within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment. Additionally, if the firearm is in a holster, it can be concealed anywhere in the vehicle without violating the law. This does not permit the 18-20 year old to conceal an unholstered gun underneath his seat. Citizens 18-20 years old may openly carry a loaded firearm on their person while inside their vehicle provided that the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible.

While you specifically asked about firearms when visiting the AZ state parks, let's go directly to the horse's mouth for current firsthand information, so let me provide a cite for the AZ SPark System's FAQ website in case you might be curious of other quarks, e.g., fees, pets, etc., prior to & while visiting.

Agency Rules & Regulations | Arizona State Parks R12-8-110 specifically covers 'weapons'.

Further, remember Fed Recreation carry is allowed, EXCEPT in the lodges/bathrooms/curio stores.

[additional cite for your reading pleasure - http://handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf]

Finally, you might do a form/fit/function on the shield 9, tho personally prefer, for couple buck more, the ported/nightsighted version, which cabelas regularly has on sale at approximately 10$ over wholesale plus tax.

Enjoy your wanderings and watch out for eeyore, tigger, piglet, and the dreaded heffalump during your sojourns:confused:o_O

Thanks for the replies folks! And the suggestion about the shield 9. Looks like it's legal for me to carry IF I decide to do so. In many areas of SoCal, it would be a great idea to carry if it's allowed. Unfortunately, it's a MAY issue state and very hard to get a permit. AND the permit is mated to one specific weapon if I'm not mistaken. AND you had better not have modified your trigger in any way! When we lived there, we always locked our doors every time and we've been robbed before. It's a different world here (except some metro areas here too). Thankfully, we live out of the way a little bit here in Arizona....

White Tanks use to be wide open as far as shooting. That was before this Republican governor appointed some anti gun woman the head State Trust land. That's when the signs went up. By law you can hunt on the land but don't get caught sighting in your weapon. but the signs don't say that. They say state trust land no trespassing, no shooting There was a place to shoot off Miller Road but thanks to a bunch of cops using a wash as a backstop killing a woman that is now shut down. There is one place left in the White Tanks to shoot on the West side of the mountains. I don't want to give it up but since I moved out of that crazy California in 75 and I feel your pain of having to live in that hell hole here it is. Take Bell Road West. It will turn into some Park Way. at about 120 Ave. Follow it till it turns South. At mile marker 116 there will be a gate on the East side of the road but instead of a no shooting no trespassing it will say close gate after entering. Drive in and go back to the foot hills and shoot. If you want to drive another 30 miles there is a dirt road out passed Arlington called Aqua Calienta (sp). A wide open area with places like Eagle Tail Mountain. As far as carrying a gun this ain't California. Put it in your glove box, put it in your pocket or strap it on your side.

Well, thanks to badbob, there goes another shooting spot.
Nevadans elected a Vegas thug as our next Governor this past Tuesday. Our entire State government is Tyranny-crats. I am already considering a move to Utah. Being a truck driver, I can move anywhere in the Lower 48 and find a job in a week or so. I drive for FedEx Ground right now, and they're in every larger town. My only hope if I stay in Nevada is that the Deception-crats leave our gun laws as they are now. If they start copulating with them, I'm outta here...

Nevadans elected a Vegas thug as our next Governor this past Tuesday. Our entire State government is Tyranny-crats. I am already considering a move to Utah. Being a truck driver, I can move anywhere in the Lower 48 and find a job in a week or so. I drive for FedEx Ground right now, and they're in every larger town. My only hope if I stay in Nevada is that the Deception-crats leave our gun laws as they are now. If they start copulating with them, I'm outta here...
I hear ya nvshooter.... since there have been these mass shootings, there is a huge blue wave vowing to do something about guns. The even bigger threat is national legislation that would hurt everyone regardless of what state they live in. If I'm not mistaken, here in Arizona, the state constitution mandates that local municipalities cannot enact more restrictive laws than what the state allows. If true, this is so much better than commiefornia because over there different cities could do different things. For instance, before there was a ban on mail ordering ammo in the state, LA could not have ammo shipped in but orange county could. I don't know if the libs will make it here too but I'm afraid that things could gradually change like Colorado seems to be doing and what commiefornia did years ago. I remember going to a gun show in orange county years ago with my Ingram MAC-10 (semi auto version) slung over my shoulder and if you did that now you'd be arrested for sure. Now whatever happens here in Arizona, I'm still keeping my AR and VP9, and I'm stocking up on 30 rounders. If it come to pass that I can't legally bring them out to shoot in the light of day then I'll keep them in the safe until the day comes when the laws change back. I'm hopeful that the proud and independent nature of the Arizona people, and the traditions that made southwestern history, will be preserved. Come over to Arizona... It's still a free state!!...and it's close...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top