JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently bought property in Roswell

Will be travelling here a bit... Lot of driving, depends on where the cheap flights are... Looks like Albuquerque, Lubbock or Midland are the closest airports... All are about 3hrs from Roswell.

I see that NM doesnt issue non-resident permits nor do they honor my OR & WA permits.

Anyone know how common open carry is in the area? From what Ive read I can keep the gun iin the car and OC.

Mostly thinking on the road between ABQ and Roswell and of course around town in Roswell. Id like to be able to protect myself & property but also dont want to run into legal problems so far from home.

Any experience is appreciated

AZ has a very easy and fairly cheap Non Res, that you can get online. My CA license was accepted as the training, but they also take a DD214, or a hunting license. AZ lets you carry in western states except CA, OR, WA , and CO. And its good for 5 years. DR

I applied for the AZ permit.

Will be in NM before I get it most likely. I can car carry and open carry this time

Hopefully I get the AZ card in a few weeks before I have a longer stay down there

Last Edited:
One other thing you might do is stop in and talk to your local Sherif. Owning property and living there even if only for a portion of the year makes you a resident during that portion. NM residency law may have an exception that works in your favor. [ or not] but it costs nothing to ask. DR

One of few good things about New Mexico is even though it's a Democrat state, they still like their guns. Your car is an extension of your house. Also, concealed carry is only a misdemeanor. They do have the ability or choice if you will to either cite you or arrest You. Just depends on your LEO. Open carry is practiced all over the state. Except for government buildings of course

As a native born New Mexico resident, I have not had any problems with open carry. Though since they instituted Concealed Carry licensing the penalties for unlicensed Concealed Carry have changed. I believe that the state does have a specific term to establish residency, something like 6 months or so. Our biggest problem is our Governor is trying to push the Californicator processes here in NM, supported by all the Liberals who don't like the taxes in places like California or NY or Mass and move here, then push their anti-gun social agendas. She has tried to rule via Executive fiat but those are constantly being challenged in court. They have moved NM from being swing state during most of its existence within the US into a "Liberal Democrat" voting state, driven by the higher populations in the Northern half of the state. Property taxes have been impacted as well with the influx of people buying property when they move here, especially around the Northern population centers. New Mexican old Spanish families who, like mine, have been here since 1550 have been taxed out of their long held family properties in places like Santa Fe and many of the old villages where they still speak an old version of Spanish - the Spanish of Cervantes, akin to Elizabethan or Shakespearean English. The Native American Reservations, affectionately called the "Res", have had language issues, and are now pushing the increased use of their Native Languages in thier schools so they don't lose that aspect of their cultures. Hopefully you will enjoy living here at least part time, but I would encourage you to consider exercising your vote here in NM to help counterbalance, at least in part, the Liberal North...

Last Edited:
One of few good things about New Mexico is even though it's a Democrat state, they still like their guns. Your car is an extension of your house. Also, concealed carry is only a misdemeanor. They do have the ability or choice if you will to either cite you or arrest You. Just depends on your LEO. Open carry is practiced all over the state. Except for government buildings of course
+1 and what smaug said, this has been to most 2nd amendment friendly blue state I've been in but the progressive continue to try to change this and with those progressives also eliminating qualified immunity for law enforcement, the 2nd amendment is your friend, if only I could get a security detail like our governor I wouldn't need the 2nd amendment so much...

New Resource Reviews

Back Top