JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I practice without ammunition. Draw, acquire target, Bang, check area for threats, holster. I also practice moving and shooting without ammunition, practice jam and misfire drills, etc. with empty magazines and no ammo.

What do you do?

Throw the crap at my kids that they leave laying around the house and I yell a lot in the process. Has really helped with my target acquisition.

I actually bought a nice Savage target model 17 HMR for this very reason. When the Newtown thing hit and all the ammo that I enjoy using ( 308 /223) dried up I wanted to keep my long range shooting skills in practice so this was a good route for me. Its pretty fun to challenge yourself and push the limits of a 17 as far as they can go.

I need to buy a pellet pistol that is the same weight and size as my 1911 to practice with. Then there is the recoil, or lack of recoil, issue to consider. Getting the .45 back on target is paramount. Ammo is starting to show up but in very small lots so I bought a HD Shotgun to fill the void.

While not immune from the present troubles locating ammunition, I have mitigated the issue in the following manner. I have 10,000 rounds of bullets for various handguns cast. 200 pounds of lead ingots on hand, 600 pounds of recovered range lead ready to smelter. I have a goodly stash of brass, powder and primers, the wherewithal to load 10 calibers, and courtesy of my lovely wife, a nice safe to protect my arms.

I built a Speed Steel range near the house, and have the luxury of shooting at home with the exception of fire season. Oh, did I mention a 100 yard rifle range? I shoot out of my garage and into the side of a 1600 foot hill. I feel truly blessed.

So much can be gained by the dry-fire practice you describe. Just drawing from concealed carry 10-12 times a day makes a huge contribution to muscle memory that could save one's life someday.

Dry practice, airsoft in the future since the "milsim" thing is getting out of hand. The guns are accurate to a point where a cop cant tell the difference. Also I do this at the range.

Ammunition has become readily available and "fairly" inexpensive as compared to the past 8 years or so. i try to buy a little at a time as often as I can so i'm not worried about running out later. I think dry firing as people have suggested and pellet guns are a great option as well regardless of how deep your ammo stash is.

Yep, we're really lucky to have ammo so plentiful now, and prices keep falling too. I still need to practice dry firing more.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top