JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just realized I have two additional semi-auto's, a Keltec Sub-2000 in 9 MM Glock magazine compatible, and a Henry AR-7 22 LR. I bought the Henry as a 'survival' rifle to stuff in whatever vehicle so I could have a rifle if caught out otherwise unaware. It is small until assembled, my Henry was slightly re-engineered by Henry to allow two loaded eight round magazines to be stored in the stock, and I place another in the receiver, none chambered (Can't happen anyway as the barrel and chamber has yet to be mated to the receiver). I have 24 rounds in that way. I do have a CCI plastic box of 100 more rounds. That makes my AR-7 truly a favorite then.

I bought the Sub-2000 as I was having a hard time sourcing a AR-9 that my wife wanted, the Sub-2000 was on the way when suddenly two ar-9's were sourced, as a result the Sub-2000 languishes in it's box, I'll try it some time.

10-22 just for the affordability of shooting it.
The 10-22 is a classic. Thompson Center upgraded it and my TCR22 is easier to shoot and clean.
They fixed the bolt stop so it is easier to engage, there's a hole at the back of the receiver so you can clean from the chamber forward, and it takes the ruger magazines. Mine even came with a threaded barrel.

That said the 10-22 is available in a variety of configurations so give Ruger credit for keeping it current.

Mini 14 remains a hollywood fav

Mini14.jpg A team mini 14.jpg

Mini 14 remains a Hollywood fave...
I bought my first rifle, a used Colt SP-1, in April 1983. I was never interested in the Mini-14. I don't exactly recall, but wasn't the word back then that the AR-type was more accurate than the Mini-14? I recall reading that the barrel on a Mini-14 cost Ruger all of twelve dollars. One thing I did know was that the AR-type had a ton of dress-up and gain-of-function parts available for it. I sold the Colt in the summer of 1985, worked like a dog all summer and bought a slew of lenses for my Nikon FA with MD-4 motordrive-- all of which is now obsolete and hasn't been out of the gadget bag since digital cameras became widely available and inexpensive.

I bought my first rifle, a used Colt SP-1, in April 1983. I was never interested in the Mini-14. I don't exactly recall, but wasn't the word back then that the AR-type was more accurate than the Mini-14? I recall reading that the barrel on a Mini-14 cost Ruger all of twelve dollars. One thing I did know was that the AR-type had a ton of dress-up and gain-of-function parts available for it. I sold the Colt in the summer of 1985, worked like a dog all summer and bought a slew of lenses for my Nikon FA with MD-4 motordrive-- all of which is now obsolete and hasn't been out of the gadget bag since digital cameras became widely available and inexpensive.
Your camera gear can live again if you take an interest in things digital gear isn't good at. Low Light, Black & White, Time Lapse etc.
I feel your pain though. I have video gear that is high end but not 4K. Not useless yet but getting there...

Funny thing is your SP1 is back in style. So many people have ultra modded ARs that the clean A2 style is making a big come back

I have a slightly newer model, the R6601 Heavy Barrel with the handle. Mounting optics is "unconventional"

Colt AR15 HBAR with Red Dot.jpg Colt AR15 HBAR with Scope.jpg

Last Edited:
Your camera gear can live again if you take an interest in things digital gear isn't good at. Low Light, Black & White, Time Lapse etc.
I feel your pain though. I have video gear that is high end but not 4K. Not useless yet but getting there...

Funny thing is your SP1 is back in style. So many people have ultra modded ARs that the clean A2 style is making a big come back

I have a slightly newer model, the R6601 Heavy Barrel with the handle. Mounting optics is "unconventional"

View attachment 20002 View attachment 20003
Ahhhh, the Colt AR never goes out of style. 😎

. . . the clean A2-style is making a big come back . . .

. . . the R6601 Heavy Barrel with the handle. Mounting optics is "unconventional."
I never liked the "screw-within-a-screw" pivot pin on the SP-1. Slow, and the possibility to drop the short one in long grass was always there. I also didn't like the way a scope was mounted on the carry-handle upper; it put the scope way too high for a good cheekweld.

I also didn't like the way a scope was mounted on the carry-handle upper; it put the scope way too high for a good cheekweld.
The I agree. The handle was ok for carry however the flat top of the CAR A3 lends itself to more accurate shooting due to better optics position.
The funny thing is they sell a Picatinny handle for people with flat top ARs who want the carry handle ;)

Last century the only mounts available were from B-Square and others with soft aluminum.
The mounts today like the Burris P.E.P.R. (proper eye position ready) are very solid.

Toss-up between AK,😀 AR,😆 and FAL😃. Like each for what they are and what they can do...
They all have their strengths. At the end of the day, the AR15 platform has massive amounts of optics/stocks/barrel lengths/magazines. The AR also has the benefit of allowing multiple uppers and calibers that can be switched out by simply pushing 2 pins out. Parts and components are cheap. You can build a middle quality AR for under $400. No other platform offers the flexibility of the AR15.

I like the AR-type because an American owning one-- or several-- makes liberals soil their BVDs.

If you want to read some really stupid things about ARs and the Americans who own them, go look at quora.com. You'll see asinine questions asked by liberals who know zero about firearms. One I saw today read, in part, "AR-15s are clearly fully-automatic and use a high-caliper clip..." and why should such powerful weapons be openly sold to Americans, et cetera, blah, blah, blah.

You'll see questions from Canadians who ask, "Why do Americans need such dangerous assault rifles? I just don't understand your love of such violent weapons."

Others ask, "How many guns can an American own before the government says you have too many?"

Go to quora, look around and know that you, as a gunowner, are multiple levels of intelligence above the pissy-pants liberals who are endeavoring to disarm you...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top