JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I only have one ... an USGI WWII M1 Carbine. It was the tool I qualified back in the day when we trained in riot control. I just sort of liked it better than the M16.

M1 carbine .jpg

M-1, M1A just to name a few

I still haven't shot my M1 Garand :(

I still haven't shot my M1 Garand :(

WTFO!!!!

I know, right?? I've been busy and haven't shot nearly as much as I'd have liked this past year or two.

I only have one ... an USGI WWII M1 Carbine. It was the tool I qualified back in the day when we trained in riot control. I just sort of liked it better than the M16.

View attachment 7823
Nice, especially when you handle one and hafta carry one around! Gotta say- for close-in personal defense (or taking small deer) the carbine is a good'n.. I passed on getting one years ago just for the lack of power in that carbine round.. They handle well and have good ergos. That's one reason I got one of the earliest mini14's old Bill released to the public.. back in the '70's....

Nice, especially when you handle one and hafta carry one around! Gotta say- for close-in personal defense (or taking small deer) the carbine is a good'n.. I passed on getting one years ago just for the lack of power in that carbine round.. They handle well and have good ergos. That's one reason I got one of the earliest mini14's old Bill released to the public.. back in the '70's....

Yup the .30 carbine round is not a magnum for sure. It does the job though inside 100 +/- yards though. It is not the most accurate, even at 100 yards, but it is indeed easy to carry, much like your mini14.

You did not mention the caliber of your choice. Which did you pick ?

Yup the .30 carbine round is not a magnum for sure. It does the job though inside 100 +/- yards though. It is not the most accurate, even at 100 yards, but it is indeed easy to carry, much like your mini14.

You did not mention the caliber of your choice. Which did you pick ?
Actually I did much earlier- when this post was new. Hasn't changed since then- AK 7.62X39, with AR15 5.56X45 pretty much neck and neck!

I like the AR-type because the design irritates the Criminal Left and the sewage-drinkers of the Criminal Left Media. I like that so many aftermarket parts can be had and are easily added to the platform with a few simple tools. Minimal recoil is a big plus, too. The ammo is cheap when compared to ammo such as .30-06 Springfield or .308 Winchester; reloading at home is even less expensive.

Falling in line with all the AR-15 and 10/22 votes. The Ruger 10/22 is what so many of us cut our teeth on. That gun is truly a classic. Once exposed to the AR-15, the addiction went bad...real bad! I swear they sprinkle some magic dust on those because once you have one you find yourself replacing parts like its Lego set and then getting different models. I have caught myself explaining why I needed the same gun with 6 different barrel lengths to someone and in my head asked myself "Do I sound crazy???"

Yep 10-22 here. Shot a lot of em and like a lot of em. Both newer American made all the way back to WWII surplus. But I have been shooting my 1970's vintage 10--22 for a long time.

Always reliable, fairly accurate. I have idled away a ton of my life plinking with that weapon, and enjoyed every minute of it. :)

Yep; 10-22, here. I have idled-away a ton of my life plinking with that weapon, and enjoyed every minute of it.
I have one, too. A friend of mine threw more than $1000 at his, then sold it to me for $500 because he needed some fast cash. Mine has a carbon-fiber barrel, Volquartsen bolt and trigger, and some kind of ambidextrous stock with a large hole aft of the trigger where most rifle stocks are solid. I rarely shoot the thing because .22LR ammo is so horribly inaccurate. I just "have it to have it." Has a Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7X scope on it with a Scopecoat to protect it. He did it up right, and I benefitted handsomely.

The stock is a Vantage RS by Fajen.

Vantage RS stock.JPG

Last Edited:
I just read an article that indicated that keeping the velocity above 1200 and using jacket/coated projectiles accuracy improved. They compared Aguila 22 LR 40 Gr Super Extra Copper to the CCI Stingers Aguila was half the cost.

I freely admit that I have never shot Aguila, except for the subsonic stuff for varmint control in the city. When the need arises I will try a brick and see how it goes. Will not be any time soon. When I go out with the .22's it is for fun and keeping the pigeons at bay.

All that HIGH end equipment you should have a tack driver out to 80 or so yards. My 10-22 is bone stock except for the 9x scope. I always wanted the 10-22 .22 mag but heard horror stories about accuracy. I do have the big brother in .44 mag. It suffers from the box stock trigger as well.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top