JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like Ruger revolvers... my GP100 & SP101
301809A8-73AB-42F7-80BA-BD13691F2A7D.jpeg AA829D8B-D305-4A44-B456-5EEF3F7DCB15.jpeg

But I also like S&W's... my Highway Patrolman...
E4EE5B95-2ADA-43B5-9485-CAD8F25AEFAE.jpeg

And this cute little daily BUG that I carry...
8CDC7413-750F-4078-AEC3-6619F37E1B0D.jpeg

Last of my highlighted revolvers.

This one is a four digit, first year of production, Colt Model of 1892 "New Army & Navy" .3iLC revolver. 127 years old this year and it still locks up tight and shoots perfectly.

Not as purdy as she once was, but given her service to our country, she radiates freedoms beauty . . . . .

20190802_173820.jpg

20190802_173841.jpg

20190802_173904.jpg

20190802_173943.jpg

20190802_174025.jpg

Ever since I was forced to turn in my 6 shot, S&W M15, 4" bbl, blue, K frame in .38 Special (PD went to the semi-auto 9mm) for a S&W 5906.... Well, I miss her. That being said.....maybe I should have bought one for old times sake.

But, I ended up buying several N frames, L frames, J frames and various single action cowboy revolvers. The only K frames I currently own is a S&W M66 and a 2" blue S&W M15.

As for a FAVORITE? Is the "favorite," judged by how much I shoot a particular revolver?

Well, I use to like these....

SAA-357-Mag-006.jpg

But then, I ended up buying these (which I shoot much more often)…..

SAA-357-Mag-002.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I'm kinda fond of my S&W 696 in .44 Special with Crimson Trace laser grips. It's sort of like an overgrown Chief Special. Loaded with 200gr hollow points over 7.5 grains of Unique, very satisfying to shoot.

My .38Spl. S&W Combat Masterpiece. Bought it at a gun show in 1963. $65.00 and it still had bluing on the front of the cylinder.
Hogue grips, 145gr.Keith HP w/ 3.5gr. of Bullseye and no Jackrabbit is safe within 100 yds. Face bigsmyl.gif

38 Spl.jpg

Ok, got another stowaway that followed me home, this one is going in for some custom smithing in the morning!
IMG_20200312_153040.jpg
These are getting harder and harder to come by, and the price keeps climbing, if you want one, better blow the dust bunnies outta the wallet and make it happen before I collect them all!

This one doesn't look like it had ever been fired, still had the factory oil all over it, and other then some dust, and some handling marks, it's in remarkable condition with the factory box and everything it came with! Manufactured in June 89!
Going to get some custom sight work and the cylinder broached about 4mm deeper, these are very powerful firearms, and with good bullets, good FFFg and hot "Magnum" primers, they can exceed .44 Mag by a fair bit with the same bullet weight! They are also stunningly accurate!

Ok, got another stowaway that followed me home, this one is going in for some custom smithing in the morning!
View attachment 7347
These are getting harder and harder to come by, and the price keeps climbing, if you want one, better blow the dust bunnies outta the wallet and make it happen before I collect them all!

This one doesn't look like it had ever been fired, still had the factory oil all over it, and other then some dust, and some handling marks, it's in remarkable condition with the factory box and everything it came with! Manufactured in June 89!
Going to get some custom sight work and the cylinder broached about 4mm deeper, these are very powerful firearms, and with good bullets, good FFFg and hot "Magnum" primers, they can exceed .44 Mag by a fair bit with the same bullet weight! They are also stunningly accurate!

I have a pair one 5.5 inch stainless cowboy and a standard 7.5 inch, GREAT HANDGUNS.

Love these Ruger Old Armies!
Had SN# 9 in my hands last weekend, the price wasn't too bad $1300.00 with the original box and accessories, but I had to pass, something that rare should go to someone who will treasure it, not carry it and use it like ME! LOL

Last word on the lighter .38 Special rounds: Here's two targets side-by-side, left is with Fiocchi 110 gr +P and right is CCI Brass Blazer 125 gr. Fiocchi, on the left, does look a bit tighter so there is some benefit to a lighter weight bullet. I going shooting with some friends later this month, so I'm saving the Honady 110 gr for then, in case they might talk about a challenge :)

View attachment 4730

Note that this is all hand held by an aging novice on a very hot day.

Alex
Actually Alex, your left target has over double the number of rounds hitting center mass. That would indicate the load is more controllable. Only continued practice will tell for sure. Thanks for the update.

Which is your favorite revolver?

Mine would have to be my Colt Anaconda which I inherited from my grandfather. As a child I remember going down my the lake with him just after he bought it. Him having never shot a .44 magnum before, I don't think he knew what he was doing. When he pulled the trigger he brought the gun up and over his head. Somehow it flew out of his hands and into the grill of his brand new Ford, leaving a nice crack. I'll never sell the guns I inherited, but if I had to this would be the last.
Recently acquired a 686 six shot elite combat revolver. Have multiple model 19's and 66 models. For carry the nineteen is tops. For a shooting workhorse, the 686 L frame handles the full house loads very well and is a joy to shoot. While I would not subject the 19 or 66 to extended heavy full house loads, they are light and easy to rely on for self defense and carry. For just blasting away at the range, the 686 is my choice.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top