JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't really have a preference in the 870 vs 500/590 debate, but here's my 870 police :)

photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG

In a Ferd vs Chebby debate, I'll go AMC...the Wincherster 1200 :s0069:
I agree with the 1200 ownership. After I had to sell my 1300 I brought back with me from Germany (long story but a boy's gotta eat) and I bought the 1200 as a cheaper replacement. Sure is Plain Jane in comparison but I've taken a LOT of game birds with it.
Also, carried an (OLD) 870 that was an MCSO trade in when I was a Deputy Sheriff, sold that to someone who just had to have it.
So for my Social Encounters Shotty, I have a Remington 887 which, all in all, I am happy with.
Well, except I need to cut back part of the forearm so I can install a Side Saddle for spare rounds and cut a Hunk off the stock to achieve proper stock weld when wearing a vest or heavy jacket. Otherwise I cannot get a proper grip and manipulate the trigger expeditiously.
One day I do want a Mossberg 500 or 550 (I think) as I'm a big fan of the tang safety. Now if only the other manufacturers would incorporate a downward ejection like the Ithaca brand does. Sweet operation there, Yessiree.

I agree with the 1200 ownership. After I had to sell my 1300 I brought back with me from Germany (long story but a boy's gotta eat) and I bought the 1200 as a cheaper replacement. Sure is Plain Jane in comparison but I've taken a LOT of game birds with it.
Also, carried an (OLD) 870 that was an MCSO trade in when I was a Deputy Sheriff, sold that to someone who just had to have it.
So for my Social Encounters Shotty, I have a Remington 887 which, all in all, I am happy with.
Well, except I need to cut back part of the forearm so I can install a Side Saddle for spare rounds and cut a Hunk off the stock to achieve proper stock weld when wearing a vest or heavy jacket. Otherwise I cannot get a proper grip and manipulate the trigger expeditiously.
One day I do want a Mossberg 500 or 550 (I think) as I'm a big fan of the tang safety. Now if only the other manufacturers would incorporate a downward ejection like the Ithaca brand does. Sweet operation there, Yessiree.

Every 1200/1300 I've shot has been fantastic.

A toss-up between mossie 500 and Rem 870 (pre-Remlin). I prefer the tang safety position on the mossberg (thumb-activated) and the quality/looks on the 870. Never really warmed up to the trigger finger-activated safety on the 870- it forces one to remove the finger from the trigger in order take the safety off.
Still both are good shotguns and either will work in a pinch!

Absolute Fav, Has to be my 1897 Winchester Takedown Trench conversion complete with pig sticker! That thing just works, and it is lighter and swings through faster then my hunting scatter gats! For hunting, ether my heavy Mossberg 835 Super Magnum, or my Remmy 870 Super Mag Factory Prototype, Long story, but I happened into the gun shop the very day the Remmy reps were visiting and showing off the years newest goodies, I handled the Super and had to have one, the rep said take it, she's yours at 20% under cost! Then there is my 870 TC, a gentleman range gun that has put a few ribbons and medals on my shelves, it's light, fast, and SMOOTH as glass, you just cant miss with that gun!

I got started with Mossberg 500's. Love the safety position. Had several in various configurations. Knew the 870 Wingmaster was what all others were measured by so I picked up one. And then several. Picked up an Express. Told it goodbye at the first opportunity. Wasn't bad, just not a Wingmaster. Figured I'd best decide on one platform and sold off all the Mossbergs. Then picked up a shorty 500 for bedside. Easier to wield indoors if I have to push anyone back outside. Still want an 18.5" 590 but no hurry.

So, my vote goes to the 870 Wingmaster. But the Mossberg 500 series is no doubt as capable - just not as sexhey-hey.

I've owned many over the years, but have made do with a 590 Special Purpose for quite a few years now. In fact I don't think they make that version anymore, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

My first gun is my favorite pump action shotgun.
Its my Grandad's 870 Wingmaster...It was given to me when I was about 8 years old.
20 gauge
28 inch barrel with a Modified choke
Made in 1962.

It still goes out shooting and hunting with me every year.
Andy
DSC06606.jpg

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top