JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Which is your favorite bolt-action rifle?

This one is tough for me as I haven't had a chance to spend much time behind bolt-action guns. I hope to resolve that with a Ruger Precision Rifle in the near future, once I can decide on the caliber :)

Right this moment I would have to say my Savage 30-06. Been spending a lot of time looking at new bolt rifles. I am hoping that there will be a new .308 bolt gun in the safe soon.

Leaning towards the RPR or mossberg tactical.

I have been thinking about giving the Ruger precision a try. My favorite bolt gun I own is a Howa 1500 in .223 with a bull barrel and mcmillan stock. One of the most fun guns i have. Favorite bolt gun ive shot was a custom made rifle in 6.5x47 lapua.

found one for $898 and another for $950 those were sale prices. I am pretty sure normal is around $1100

For the Mossberg, right?

I've been finding the RPR's around $1100-$1200.

I have been thinking about giving the Ruger precision a try. My favorite bolt gun I own is a Howa 1500 in .223 with a bull barrel and mcmillan stock. One of the most fun guns i have. Favorite bolt gun ive shot was a custom made rifle in 6.5x47 lapua.

We're going to need to see some pics of that Howa :)

You were right Joe, I totally blame it on sleep deprivation :( Found the link and it was $1100

No worries about being right and wrong, just making sure you had accurate info! Maybe you were factoring in the glass as well :)

"Favorite" is an elusive bird since for me it requires quantity and familiarity. I have shot a few fine rifles belonging to others but though they were Cadillac's for sure, never spent more than a few rounds with them.
Of the accessible, more generic end, I have many years leaving my sweat print on a wood stocked Ruger M77 from the 70"s in .270 and am very fond of it. I would recommend one in a heart beat and likely be the last gun I sell. My newly acquired (2 years ago) older Remington 700 in .243 is a real pleasure and a little purdier than the Ruger but mechanically difficult to separate.
I have not experienced the Ruger Precision, Do not like things that can get entangled in my beard, and after raising two daughters in the dark ages do not care for the color black.
That said, I have owned and sold a few Ruger Pistols and rifles, with high praise and zero complaints excepting maybe the disassemble of my MK1 22 pistol.
All in all, I don't believe you can go wrong with a Ruger.
(If you put a wood stock on it:))

I also have 03-a3. Heavily "customized" by an old friend. It is as accurate as my Sako. It now resides in Idaho with my "customized"[same fella] Chileano Mauser 7x57. Those three will always be around. Other rifles have come and gone. Not those three.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top