JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Savage FC-SR Bolt Action .308 for sale. It has a threaded barrel with a Miculek Muzzel brake, Warne 20 MOA scope mount with Warne rings and a Leupold 6-18x40 Scope. Fired 6 rounds to dial in scope, cleaned her and back in the case. I don't get out often enough to use it so I'm selling or looking to trade for a compact 1911 style 45 with a 3" or 4" Barrel. If you're interested, send me an email with your contact info and I can get you some pictures. As equipped I'm into it for @ $1500 and open to a reasonable offer. Thanks Bob
Did you sell the Savage or are you still looking to trade ?

Steyr SSG-69 w/S&B P1 3-12X50.

SR

Got a Kahles 6 power on my Model 69 it was standard on the issue ones. (Removed for maintenance in photo)

Arch's 308.jpg

Dang! It's been awhile since I've lurked here. I've entered a new phase: Lever action rifles in handgun calibers. So far, I bought two new Henry's; a brass .357 with 20" octagon barrel, and a .45 Colt with a round 20" barrel. These are both FUN to shoot, especially that .45 Colt. Handloads all the way.
Good to be back! BTW, my Sako is now in Idaho also. Lookin' around for another lever rifle. Maybe a .41 mag. Henry of course.

The Indian Enfield #1 Mk3 my dad bought from Golden State Arms for $29 back in '62 is pretty special.

A ton of character but the bore is perfect. Dead nuts on at 200 yds with Greek surplus .303.

He got 7 deer with it over the years, and I still have the one box of Remington ammo he used for sighting & every hunt.

. . . I still have the one box of Remington ammo he used for sighting & every hunt.
Wow! Tons of memories and nostalgia in that piece. Good to hear you've kept it in good shape. Same for my dad's 1946 Model 70. Looks almost new after being carried all over Alaska in the early 1950s. I had it refinished and reblued in 1984. My dad was not overjoyed that I'd taken his rifle and refinished all the history out of it. The finish was dull and the bluing was just about gone. I made it look brand-new again. I was crestfallen when he said he didn't recognize his "old friend." It's a gorgeous rifle, but not the one with which he took so many trophies all those decades past. I have it now, and it's priceless to me...

Last Edited:
My current favorite is my CZ 455, 22lr Standard model.
I'm having a blast shooting it, just fired the 10 shot 50ft BR target using Aguila Super Extra 40gr CP ammo and scored 98 with 1X.
Next I'll be moving on out to 25 then 50yards with the correct targets. My little range won't stretch to 100, so I'll stick with what I have.
My other favorite bolt action was one I left standing behind the BR door when I moved back to AZ from Pampa, TX. back in the early 1970's.
It was a Springfield Arms 56A single shot I learned how to shoot with.
I miss that old thing!
Gabby

There were many (bolt guns) in my life. But, the soft spot in my heart was for a Mauser 98 in 30-06.

I had several 1903s but they weren't exactly what I had wished for. They went, bye, bye. And, I once had a commercial FN Interarms Mark X. But sadly, I let her go too.

It was only within the last five years that I've been able to sort of make up for the error of my ways. I purchased a "custom" sporterized Mauser 98 in 30-06. When I got it, the 30-06 rounds could not feed from the magazine. But, with a little home gunsmiting and love, I was able to fix her up. The other one (on the left) came a few months later. I had to also modify the magazine on that one. I'm guessing that the previous owners had lost interest or were satisfied with a single shot. Not me.

IMG-0145.jpg

Aloha, Mark

My long-time favorite bolt rifle is my late Dad's Mauser bring-back.. lots of nostalgia there going back to childhood. Hard to express, but I practically worshiped that rifle as a kid... thought I could go thru Hell and back with it (found out later that it wasnt even close, during the SE Asia Reindeer Games).
It always stood in his closet, ready for action if needed... (Never was except for deer). The first high powered rifle I fired, and it almost knocked me on my young *ss... Now it almost (not really, yet) knocks me on my old *ss..:D It has no import marks and is dead-stock just as issued by the Wehrmacht in 1943 and has the cigar-tin cleaning kit and bayonet...came without the cleaning rod and front sight hood (Dad told me they usually just threw those away) and Ive been conflicted about replacing them to make the rifle complete again... The original sling is still usable after these nearly EIGHTY years, the cross-hatching can still be seen if you look for it... the Germans made some good stuff even if obsolescent at the time of issue... Have resisted opportunities to have it sporterised(!) or to sell it over the years. God-willing it will still be in my hands unaltered when I too cross the Great Divide.
My close-second favorite bolt gun is the Mossberg .22 tube-fed rifle he bought me used when I was 12. Very similar to the Mossie clip-fed bolt trainers once used by the Army. The original scope got ruined when I got caught out in a blizzard while on one of my youthful adventures, so I got a weaver 4X mounted in its place. Replaced the sling and mounts when the original sling mounts crapped out due to age or teenage misuse, it sports a Garand type sling that works fine for taking aim. Still a solid rifle which would go back into service should I ever need/want a bolt .22 again... Lots of memories tied up in those two rifles.

Last Edited:
My favorite bolt-action is the one I have yet to build. Will have a custom action, 416R fluted barrel, precision trigger and will fit into an ambidextrous chassis. Caliber will be my 6.5mm Croodmeer. My first mildcat was a .300" Magnum. Kicked too much for an afternoon of target fun. I didn't know such would obtain when I built it. Gave that one away to a better man than me. He reports that he enjoys the rifle to a great degree.

Dimensioned 6.5mm Croodmeer.JPG

Last Edited:
My favorite bolt-action is the one I have yet to build. Will have a custom action, 416R fluted barrel, precision trigger and will fit into an ambidextrous chassis. Caliber will be my 6.5mm Croodmeer. My first mildcat was a .300" Magnum. Kicked too much for an afternoon of target fun. I didn't know such would obtain when I built it. Gave that one away to a better man than me. He reports that he enjoys the rifle to a great degree.

View attachment 7193
You might be on to something here! I have been running a 6.5/06 A.I. for 35 years now, and it's a stunner for sure!
I say go for it, make that 6.5 rocket into a real screamer!

The Croodmeer is just the Creedmoor extended to the length of the 300WSM-- a short-action cartridge if there ever was one. I went with the 23-degree shoulder angle as an homage to the .223Rem and because there is a neck-turner that can be ordered with that same angle pre-cut onto the blade. Some would ask "Why do such a thing when the 6.5mm Creed is already there?" My answer is, "Because I'm an American; I have the Freedom to pursue an idea as long as the idea is not illegal." Some would ask why spend the time and money. My response is, "I'm not spending your time nor your money, so why do you care?"

Which is your favorite bolt-action rifle?

Center Fire:
I like my Mausers, they are in .30-06. I have a lot of surplus ammo for those. As for the 8mm Mauser bolt action.....not so much. Ammo is in short supply and expensive. Then, there is the Mosin Nagant (actually, I have several). LOL. Yup, I stocked up on ammo for that rifle. It seems that I've been playing with them more and more.

Rimfire:
.22 LR actually I have many rifles in that caliber. But, the Ruger 10/22 (not a bolt gun) dominates the collection in that category. Luckily, ammo is cheap right now.

Having a firearm without a generous supply of ammo just doesn't make much sense to me. See how that works?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Do it DB, you know you want to! Look how many folks I got hooked on Tikka, you are my next "victim" just ask @11Charley!
I got him addicted, and every one wanted to be just as cool as him, now they all have Tikkas! LOL

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top