Which is your favorite bolt-action rifle?

Reactions
So you just do this for the halibut? Cool hobby, amigo. Wish I had that kind of time and scratch available...
The .300 came from the need to make a short-action round feed in a long-action receiver. I tried and tried to design a shell that would use the base datum diameter of a 300WSM, but that is one of the largest ODs short of .590" shells that there is. I ultimately had to have a new barrel made and design the shell from Square One. It took me several months to finalize the dimensions because I just did not know what I wanted versus what could be cold-formed. I eventually decided to use the '06 case length, shoulder angle and neck length because it's a design proven over 100 years and several billion rounds fired in WW I, WW II and Korea. Everything nowadays is short & fat with steep shoulder angles and near-zero case taper. I wanted an easy-feeding rifle, so I used the gentle shoulder angle from the '06.

The rifle was a half-minute gun before the rebuild from 300WSM to 300NDM. It's now a quarter-minute rifle, and five-shot groups in the .200s are certainly attainable. The best it has done is five shots having a 0.135" center-to-center from 100 yards. The rifle is equipped with a 6-24X x 50mm Vortex Viper PST scope. One of these years I will get my act together and make it hit that 10" steel plate from 1000 yards. It's a long walk out and back, so I'm just not all hyped-up to do it. I have thought about bringing my bike out to the desert and riding it out to the target and back, but my purpose-built shootin' pickup (see below) hasn't run since November 2015. I had that top custom-built. It's five feet high inside, has a shootin' bench in there and lots of other things you'd need when you head into the desert for a day of shooting. The top provides all the shade you'd ever need on a hot & sunny day. You could even shoot when it's raining. The rear has two swing-out doors that provide all the access you need to get in and out of it.

The .358 was done because I wanted to see what the 300NDM would look like as a .35-caliber. I started it in July 2012. Eleven months and $4500 later, I knew. The .358 Sierra Stomper is a sledgehammer. I like to say it will kill anything on the planet short of elephant, hippo and rhino. I'll never know for sure because I will never go to Africa and hunt with it. I'll never hunt anything on the North American continent, either. It was built in an attempt to get 4000 foot-pounds of muzzle energy from a 250-grain bullet and to deliver two MOA accuracy at 250 yards, which is about the effective limit of the .35 Whelen. The recoil of the Stomper is so vicious, I can only shoot it about a dozen times and I've had enough for the day. The rifle for the 300NDM weighs nineteen pounds; recoil is about what you'd expect from a .243 Winchester.

To bring these rifles to fruition I had to have Hornady Manufacturing and Lee Precision make forming dies (4 by Hornady), reloading dies (2 sets by Hornady), neck-only dies (2 sets by Lee) and Factory Crimp Dies (2 by Lee). Each die is around 75 to 90 dollars; can take up to a year to have them made. I also had special-length trimming mandrels made to get consistent trim lengths. I started out by turning the necks on the .300 to get 0.002 inches of clearance, but there is a total neck clearance of 0.001 inches when the necks are not turned, so I don't bother to do it anymore. The necks of the .358 are not turned; there is 0.005 inches of clearance there. Cases were formed from Hornady .375 Ruger Basic brass until Hornady quit making it. I now use the factory-formed .375 Ruger case. If Ruger ever quits making the rifles for that case, I'm SOL.

shootin-truck.JPG three-mildcats.JPG

I have the time and scratch available to do this because I am not married. I am also fat, bald and uglier than sin-- which is why I am not married. Some would say being afflicted as I am is a curse. I praise God for Him having made me as He did. Sure, I want a hot blonde and all that jazz. I'll never have it, but look at the money I'm saving! No wife, no kids, no ex-wife, no ex-kids, no college tuitions, no braces on the kids' teeth, no house with five bedrooms and three bathrooms-- the list goes on and on. I can spend my money as I see fit. I will never have to say "I'll have to ask my wife" about anything. If I see a rifle I want, I just say "Wrap it up! I'll take it."

Stomper-steps-600.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions
Right this moment I would have to say my Savage 30-06. Been spending a lot of time looking at new bolt rifles. I am hoping that there will be a new .308 bolt gun in the safe soon.

Leaning towards the RPR or mossberg tactical.
I have a Savage FC-SR Bolt Action .308 for sale. It has a threaded barrel with a Miculek Muzzel brake, Warne 20 MOA scope mount with Warne rings and a Leupold 6-18x40 Scope. Fired 6 rounds to dial in scope, cleaned her and back in the case. I don't get out often enough to use it so I'm selling or looking to trade for a compact 1911 style 45 with a 3" or 4" Barrel. If you're interested, send me an email with your contact info and I can get you some pictures. As equipped I'm into it for @ $1500 and open to a reasonable offer. Thanks Bob

11Charlie

Staff Member
Reactions
I have a Savage FC-SR Bolt Action .308 for sale. It has a threaded barrel with a Miculek Muzzel brake, Warne 20 MOA scope mount with Warne rings and a Leupold 6-18x40 Scope. Fired 6 rounds to dial in scope, cleaned her and back in the case. I don't get out often enough to use it so I'm selling or looking to trade for a compact 1911 style 45 with a 3" or 4" Barrel. If you're interested, send me an email with your contact info and I can get you some pictures. As equipped I'm into it for @ $1500 and open to a reasonable offer. Thanks Bob
Ended up buying a Tikka. Absolutely the best purchase I ever made.

IMG_0435.JPG

Reactions
Ended up buying a Tikka. Absolutely the best purchase I ever made.
I have a stainless lefty T3 in .30-06 Springsteen. The actions on a Tikka work so smoothly, I have to wonder why every other major manufacturer's bolt-action rifles aren't as equally smooth. I like how they are designed to allow the user to easily replace bolt handles without taking the rifle to a gunsmith. I replaced the plastic bolt shroud on mine with a stainless one from Vertebrae in Norway. There are several outfits here in the States that offer angled bolt handles and enlarged bolt knobs. I want to put each onto mine; just ain't done it yet. Mine is in a lefty, Applejack Red Featherweight Thumbhole stock from Boyd's. The rifle is being kept at another location; its frequent user says it will ring the gong at 500 yards all day long...

Last edited:
Reactions
I can't even SEE that far...
A 25X scope brings it all in for you. That's my minimum power for such a distance. Some guys use 20X; I have even heard of shooters using 14X. I have a 40X on an AR that will stick 'em close if the idiot on the trigger doesn't fail himself in the clutch. It has a 16" x .936" stainless bull barrel, a free-float foretube of rifle length, a JP Enterprises precision trigger set way down and a 3½-pound lead slug in the fixed A2 buttstock. Sets really nice in the bags...

11Charlie

Staff Member
Reactions
I will second that! Must have a great optic. If you get into long range shooting, you will find that you spend just as much if not more on the optic as you do your rifle. :confused:

Reactions
If money was not an issue I'd have some answers different than the ones I'll put forth here. I use my bolt guns for hunting and in my price range the Ruger American has done me well. Very accurate and affordable, though it's a bit homely. I have some old M77's and though they are a little less accurate they have decent walnut and remind me of the rifles the old guys had when I was growing up.

Reactions
Thus far I'd have to say the Krag rifle is my favorite, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with bolt actions. I've only shot an Enfield MkIV and Mauser Kar98, trainers in .22lr that were single shot. Also I've shot a Ross rifle, but it is so picky with ammo I can't call it a favorite even if it is extremely accurate.
I like the Krag because it is accurate and has a unique loading system.

Reactions
Wanted to get into LRS so I jumped off the deep end. Shooting pistols is fun but gee, needed a challenge. Still new to me but doing a lot of reading. Have yet to get to the local range with this one.

Bergara LRP Elite in 6.5 Creedmore. Currently using a Tango 4, 6-24 -50mm FFP Mrad with 20moa rail.

8304A9D1-1739-4E61-A2BC-66059E8181CC.jpeg

9BFF3083-88FE-45FA-8BC4-BBA32336D2F8.jpeg

UPCOMING EVENTS

Big Sandy Shoot
Northwestern Arizona
Wikieup, AZ 85360, USA

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

ONLINE NOW